Puffy Royal Mattress Review
In this Puffy Royal Mattress Review, I’ll take you through all the details of this brand new mattress from the highly successful Puffy brand. Is this high end mattress worth the extra money? Is it really comfortable or is it a dud? Find out all the answers in this no holds barred review.
- The Puffy Story
- Puffy Royal Mattress Features (breakdown and explanation of exactly what’s inside this mattress)
- Comparison: Puffy Royal VS “The Puffy” And “Puffy Lux” Mattresses
- Is this Mattress Right for You?
- What does the Puffy Royal Mattress Feel Like to Lie On?
- Are there Any Problems with this Mattress?
- What are the Alternatives?
- Anything Else I Need To Know?
- My Verdict: Is It Worth Buying?
The Puffy Story
Puffy is an incredibly popular online mattress company, so much so that it has even featured on the Ellen show. The name “Puffy” is inspired by the fact the creators wanted you to feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud: the most comfortable mattress they could make. They have even made the bold claim on their website of being America’s most comfortable mattress.
Puffy has been in business making mattresses, bed frames, and other bedding accessories since 2016 and has a reassuring A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Puffy are nice guys: they donate mattresses to children and teens in need.
Puffy mattresses are generally reported to be comfortable and suitable for a wide range of sleepers, and come with endorsements from trusted third parties including Forbes and Consumer Reports.
Puffy Royal Mattress Features
Like all Puffy mattresses, the Puffy Royal Mattress is made in the USA. The mattresses are made in small batches so they are not sitting around compressed in boxes for long periods of time. This is a huge factor in their favor, as mattresses made overseas can have problems expanding to their full height, due to being compressed in their box for too long.
The Puffy Royal Mattress stands at 14 inches tall, making it the tallest of the three mattresses in the Puffy range.
It is made from foams that are Certi-PUR US Certified for your peace of mind about toxins in foam mattresses. Puffy mattresses are also made in a closed chamber system, which is kinder to the environment as it helps reduce emissions.
The cover is made from an Oeko-Tex certified polyester fabric, which is stain resistant and machine washable. The top of the cover is an attractive white color, with the signature Puffy clouds embossed on it. The sides are a practical black, with sturdy handles built in for you to move your mattress around with ease.
The Puffy Royal Mattress contains a massive FOUR comfort layers. This is where the Puffy Royal justifies its cost above the other mattresses in the Puffy range with its unprecedented array of features:
- The first layer is exclusive to the Puffy Royal. It is a 1.5 inch thick layer of memory foam infused with cooling beads. These beads work by drawing heat away from your body as you sleep and dispersing it.
- The second layer is a body adapting memory foam that is 2 inches thick. This foam layer is ALSO only found in the Puffy Royal mattress, not the others. This foam has been designed to be responsive to pressure but also with a bit of bounce, which goes a long way to providing pressure relief without any feeling of “sinking” into the mattress.
- The third layer is a trademarked Climate Comfort foam layer, which is 1.5 inches thick. This foam layer, designed to regulate body heat, works really nicely together with the cooling bead layer for a comfortable sleep. This particular foam layer is also a feature of the Puffy Lux mattress.
- The fourth and final comfort layer is another one you’ll only find in the Puffy Royal, and it’s my favorite of them all. This layer is two inches of incredibly hard working foam, one of the best memory foam innovations I’ve seen. This layer has two jobs: it is separated into five different zones, so each part of your body gets exactly the support it needs. It also has cooling air channels built into it, helping it work with the Climate Comfort layer above it.
All in all, with its four layers of hard working foams stuffed with awesome technology and features, you’re getting a whopping 7 inches of comfort layers in your Puffy Royal Mattress. Many competitors in a similar price range only have 3 inches of foams in their comfort layers, so you’re getting more than double here.
Seven inches of “Firm Core” support foam – the role of this foam is to provide a stable base to allow the four comfort layers to do their work.
Other Important Features That Come With Your New Puffy Purchase
Puffy offers free shipping within the contiguous USA but fees apply for customers in Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada (please note that if you decide to return your mattress and you are in one of those three places you won’t get your original shipping fee refunded).
All Puffy mattresses come with a 101 night sleep trial (this is important because you really need to try a mattress for 30 nights to find out if it’s a good fit for you). Puffy have a minimum requirement that you try the mattress for 14 days and suggest, just like I would for any mattress, to give it up to 30 days if you can.
Puffy mattresses come with a lifetime warranty. This is really great, and I have not seen it on many all foam mattresses. Ten years is a more common standard for mattresses similar in characteristics to the Puffy so the life time warranty helps set their range apart from the competition.
Another cool thing about the warranty is that no matter when in the lifetime of the mattress a defect shows up, Puffy will replace it. Other companies offering lifetime warranties may only repair after a set period of time, but Puffy guarantees you a new mattress no matter how long into its life the problem arises.
Comparison: Puffy Royal VS “The Puffy” And “Puffy Lux” Mattresses
As you can see, the Puffy Royal is the most expensive of the Puffy range, because it has more materials and more technology.
It is only two inches taller than the Puffy Lux but it has three unique and highly technical comfort layers that are going to work that much harder for you to help you get the best nights’ sleep.
The Puffy Royal is the most “plush” rated of the three Puffy mattresses, mattress-speak for saying it’s the softest of the three. However, a mattress rated 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale is still one that will feel comfortable for a wide range of people.
If you’ve read my review of the Puffy Lux mattress (it’s here if you haven’t), you’ll see I’m a bit dubious about the price difference between the Lux and the Original. I don’t think there are enough distinguishing features between the two to justify the price hike.
However, with the Puffy Royal, I think the features are going to be worth every penny. This is a mattress that has an unprecedented amount of cooling technology, and zoning is still a rare find in foam mattresses. You can see in the pictures above the massive difference that zoning makes to how your body will be supported on the bed.
Puffy often run promotions, and you should be able to get $300 off pretty much all the time. My links automatically ensure you’re getting the best price.
Is this Mattress Right for You?
I think this mattress is going to work well for a wide range of people. I’m quite blown away by the materials of the comfort layers, and can’t really think of anyone who might find this mattress uncomfortable.
As this mattress is the softest of the range, people who sleep on their sides will particularly enjoy this mattress as the plush feel combined with the zoning will really relieve the pressure you would normally feel through your shoulder as you lie on your bed.
The generous thickness of comfort layer supported by a 7 inch base means that this could be one of the few foam mattresses that would work well for heavier people. I usually recommend a hybrid for people weighing 250lb or more but the quality of the materials you’ll find in the Puffy Royal should mean you will feel good pressure relief without compromising on support. The Puffy Royal is designed to accommodate up to 350lb per person, or 700lb total body weight.
However, if you are someone who prefers a really firm mattress or a thinner mattress, the Puffy Royal is not going to be the right choice for you. It is by no means a totally soft mattress, but if you’re looking for that extra firmness that some people like, I’d suggest you go with something else (see my alternative recommendations below).
What Does the Puffy Royal Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
From my research combing through the reviews of this mattress, most people found it to feel responsive and a little bouncy to lie on. This means it will instantly relieve your pressure points and contour to your body without leaving you with that “sink in” feeling memory foam is notorious for.
You can see from the images of the zoning of the mattress that your body weight is very evenly distributed across the bed, while all pressure points are supported. This means that your body should feel well aligned, comfortable and supported on this mattress.
It is rated a 4-6 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, a rating which would be considered “plush”. This is the softest mattress of the Puffy range, but given the powerhouse that is the comfort layers inside this mattress, I believe it will feel comfortable to all except those who really love the firmest of beds.
Like all good quality foam mattresses, the Puffy Royal will be great at motion isolation too, so you won’t notice if your partner tosses and turns all night. The foam effectively “deadens” that motion, you won’t feel a thing!
If you like to lie right on the edge of your mattress, you will find the edge support feels quite weak and you may feel like you could slip right off. This is a problem with every memory foam mattress. If this is a concern for you, you should check out my reviews of hybrid mattresses instead.
Are there Any Problems with this Mattress?
I don’t really think there are any specific problems with the Puffy Mattresses that indicate they are poor quality or uncomfortable. From reading through the reviews, there were quite a lot of complaints from people who had chosen the wrong firmness level. However, this outdated and no longer an issue as Puffy don’t give you firmness options for their mattresses anymore, you just choose which one from the range (which each has a different feel and price tag) that you would like to buy.
I do need to say that I don’t like one of their marketing tactics. This is just my opinion as a reviewer. It’s very easy to find the five star reviews on their website, but not the one star reviews. I think it’s a bit shady to make it hard to find the one star reviews, and I think it would be better if you could see which reviews were for which mattress instead of them all being lumped together.
One last thing to note here about the Royal is that it is a mattress that has only been on the market for a matter of months. I have therefore not looked at other customer reviews of it so far, as I do not believe people have had long enough to form a reasonable opinion of how it performs. Initial reports are looking positive, but watch this space in the coming months for an update on my analysis of what customers are thinking.
What are the Alternatives?
If you’re not totally convinced that the Puffy Royal is quite right for you, I’ve spent time thinking about some great alternatives. These are all mattresses I have reviewed in detail and are among my all time favorites. Each shares a feature with the Puffy Royal but brings something different to the table which may appeal more to you.
- A firmer memory foam mattress that can be customized for free: SnugglePedic. Read my review of this great value mattress here.
- A mattress that has amazing luxury features but is a hybrid: Avocado Green. This was one of my favorite mattresses for all of 2019. Read about why it’s one of my favorites here.
- A mattress at the same price point as the Puffy Royal Mattress but is made from 100% organic materials: PlushBeds. Learn more about why this mattress is so special here.
I genuinely believe that the Puffy Royal is one of the best constructed memory foam mattresses on the market at the moment so I think it’s worth taking a chance on. Don’t forget you’ve got more than 3 months to try it out before you have to decide if you’re going to keep it!
Anything Else I Need To Know?
- Puffy recommends you use bamboo sheets with their mattresses. They have recently added a 100% bamboo sheet range to their web store, so you can pick up a set at the same time you purchase your mattress.
- If you have two people that want different mattress firmness, you can buy a split king base and put two twin XL Puffy mattresses on it. One of you could go Original, the other could go Lux or Royal, it’s totally up to you. Just keep in mind that if you do this, you’ll end up with different mattress heights on each side of the bed!
- The weight of a California King size Puffy Royal Mattress is 130lb.
- All Puffy mattresses including the Royal are designed to hold up to 350lb of weight per side, so a Queen or King can hold 700lb total weight.
- You can use your Puffy mattress on any box spring or foundation, just never put any mattress directly on the floor. Something to note about the Puffy Royal is that it can be used on a wider range of slat bases than many other mattresses. Many other companies like you to use their mattress on slats that are no more than 3 inches apart so as not to compromise the support workings of the mattress. The Puffy Royal is constructed in a way that allows it to be used on bases with slats up to 4.5 inches wide, which is 50% wider than many other mattresses can tolerate.
- Do not flip your Puffy Royal mattress over, you should always use it with the comfort layers at the top for pressure relief, contouring, and spinal support.
Final Opinion Time: Is The Puffy Royal Mattress Worth Buying?
I think the answer to whether this mattress is worth buying is a huge YES. I believe this is one of the most advanced foam mattress in a box options available to you in the current market. The Puffy Royal Mattress is jam packed with features, yet still costs around half of what you could expect to pay for a premium mattress in a store.
The Puffy Royal Mattress has been designed with your total comfort in mind, and the features combined with the 101 night sleep trial and lifetime warranty make me 100% happy to recommend this mattress to you.
Puffy Royal MattressFrom $1645 (but look for my discount)
- Made in USA
- Packed with tons of features to really make you comfortable
- Generous warranty and trial
- Weak edge support as with all memory foam mattresses
- No white glove upgrade available for disposal of your old mattress and set up of your new one (some companies do this for a fee)