My Top Choice
Puffy Original Mattress
|Get Best Deal|
Puffy Lux Mattress
|Get Best Deal|
Puffy Vs Puffy Lux – Puffy is a famous mattress and bedding brand proudly made in the USA. It makes three types of mattresses, Puffy, Puffy Lux, and Puffy Royal. I already covered Puffy Royal in a review you can read here. But what about Puffy and Puffy Lux?
In this article, I will compare those two mattresses. Puffy is an all-foam mattress and the one that has all the features that built the Puffy brand. Puffy Lux is a hybrid mattress and is considered an upgrade to the standard Puffy Mattress. Puffy Lux is the best selling mattress in the Puffy range, so it’s the most popular among real customers.
This Puffy vs. Puffy Lux comparison will cover the following topics:
- Overview of Puffy vs. Puffy Lux
- Similarities Between Puffy and Puffy Lux
- Differences Between Puffy and Puffy Lux
- Close-up on the Construction
- Mattress Sizes
- Which Mattress to Buy
- Price Breakdown
- Puffy Mattress vs Puffy Lux the Final Verdict
Overview of Puffy vs. Puffy Lux
|Price Range||$699 to $1,249 discounted prices||$999 to $1,699 discounted prices|
|Type||Original flagship all-foam mattress with all the standard features.||A hybrid mattress offering more luxurious features and an upgrade over the standard mattress|
|Mattress Construction||2-inch Cooling Cloud gel-infused foam layer and a 2-inch cooling foam comfort layer on top of 6-inch high-density foam support layer||1.5-inch Cooling Cloud foam and another 1.5-inch Plush Dual Cloud foam over a 2-inch Climate Comfort foam layer resting on a 7-inch high-density foam and contour-adapt coil base layer .|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10 (medium-firm feel)||5.5 out of 10 (medium-soft feel)|
|Sleep Trial||101 nights||101 nights|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty||Lifetime warranty|
|Where is it made?||USA||USA|
Similarities Between Puffy and Puffy Lux
Since Puffy Lux was built on the same concept and design as the Puffy original, then you can expect to find many similar features and crossovers between the two mattresses. Starting from the top, the two mattresses use the same cover material. The hypoallergenic cover is stain-resistant and stays clean and fresh.
The first comfort layer is the same for both mattresses. It’s a proprietary material under the trademark Cooling Cloud. This specially processed and refined foam is more breathable with gel infusion to keep the top of the mattress cool and fresh.
The two mattresses have the same sleep trial and warranty periods as well as the same shipping and return rules. According to the website, they also have the same user rating from the same user count.
Differences Between Puffy and Puffy Lux
Price: Judging by the price ranges in the table above, it’s obvious that the Puffy Lux is the pricier of the two mattresses. This implies that the mattress offers more features to justify this price difference.
Build: The Puffy is an all-foam mattress with a relatively low profile of 10 inches with 5 layers made of different varieties of foam. The Puffy Lux is a 12-inches high hybrid mattress with 6 layers combining both foam and coils. The added layer is made of an extra comfortable layer that’s a more refined version of the Cooling Cloud foam material.
Firmness: The hybrid Puffy Lux has coils along with high-density foam to provide excellent support, responsiveness, and motion isolation. Along with the extra comfort layer, the support layer accounts for the difference in the feel and firmness of the mattress. While Puffy is medium-firm, Puffy Lux is medium-soft or medium-plush.
Close-up on the Construction
Let’s go through the different layers that go into each mattress and why they matter in the overall feel and performance.
As a standard all-foam mattress Puffy tries to distinguish itself from other all-foam mattresses you find on the market. It does that by relying on good quality materials and in-home proprietary technologies. The fact that the mattress has a lifetime warranty tells you it’s got durability and robust design.
The cover of the mattress is thin and breathable. It works closely with the top comfort layer to make the surface of the mattress cool and comforting. The hypoallergenic cover is toxin-free and resists stains and dust. It keeps the mattress looking fresh and clean.
Under the cover, there are 3 layers all made of foam beside the non-slip bottom cover. But the material varies between proprietary foam and regular high-density foam. The four layers can be broken down into the following:
- Cooling Cloud Foam: This proprietary material was designed and perfected in the company’s labs. The foam is infused with gel to repel heat build-up and wicks moisture to keep the mattress soft and comfortable. The 2-inch layer is quite breathable and channels the heat away from the surface.
- Climate Comfort Foam: Another proprietary material that enhances the cooling properties of the mattress and dispels the myth about memory foam being too hot. The 2-inch layer offers relief to the pressure points such as the shoulders and hips for side sleepers.
- Core Support Foam: The last layer is made of high-density foam. It is responsible for the medium-firm feel of the Puffy. This is a 6-inch layer that is responsive and supportive. It gives the mattress its shape and structure.
Puffy Lux Mattress
The Puffy Lux picks up where the Puffy left off. Its goal is to create a luxurious sleep experience with a special focus on the comfort side. With one more layer than the Puffy, a couple more inches in profile, and the introduction of coils alongside the high-density foam, Puffy Lux wants to justify the price hike.
The cover of the Puffy Lux is made of the same material as the Puffy cover. It is the same thickness and serves the same purpose of keeping the mattress stain-free, cool, and fresh.
Foam and Coil Layers
This is a hybrid mattress. So we expect to see some coils in the base layer. The Puffy Lux doesn’t disappoint, although it still doesn’t do away completely with high-density foam in the base layer. Covers aside, the mattress has 4 layers.
- Cooling Cloud Foam: The same comfort layer that takes the top position in the Puffy as well. However, here this layer is only 1.5 inches. This makes room for the following layer.
- Plush Dual Cloud Foam: A 1.5-inch layer made of advanced cloud foam and is responsible for the medium-soft feel of the Puffy Lux. It is more responsive than cloud foam and offers quicker recovery and more nuanced pressure relief.
- Climate Comfort Foam: The same 2-inch layer as the one in the Puffy.
- Support Foam: High-density foam works hand in hand with contour-adapt coils. It gives the mattress good edge support and keeps it in good shape.
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||38” x 75” x 12”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||38” x 80” x 12”|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||54” x 75” x 12”|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||60” x 80” x 12”|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||76” x 80” x 12”|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||72” x 84” x 12”|
Which Mattress to Buy
This is the moment of truth. After comparing both mattresses, let’s go through the scenarios where you should opt for one mattress over the other.
Buy Puffy If
- You’re on a budget.
- You’re a back or stomach sleeper who enjoys some extra support from the mattress.
- You average between 130 and 230 pounds.
Buy Puffy Lux If
- You can afford to splurge on a more luxurious sleep experience.
- You’re a side sleeper of average weight who expects more pressure relief.
- You’re a lightweight sleeper under 130 pounds.
- You want more edge support from the mattress.
Puffy Mattress vs Puffy Lux the Final Verdict
By the end of this whirlwind comparison of two mattresses under the same brand, it’s obvious there’s no clear winner. Each mattress serves a different market niche and a more specific customer base.
That said, I still lean toward the Puffy Mattress as the one offering more value for the money. If you can afford an upgrade, I recommend skipping the Puffy Lux and going straight to the Puffy Royal.
Puffy Original Mattress
- 5 Layers
- Medium Firm Feel
- Good Back Support And Pressure Relief
- 10 Inch Total Height
- 101 Night Trial + Lifetime Warranty
- In My Opinion, It's Better Value Than The Lux, If I Were Upgrading I'd Choose The Puffy Royal Instead