Puffy have made the bold claim of being America’s most comfortable mattress, and the Puffy Lux is their top seller. Does that mean it’s the best mattress in America?! In this Puffy Lux Mattress Review, I’ll take you through the features of the Puffy Lux mattress, and save you time by showing you direct comparison with the other Puffy models.
Remember: no matter which Puffy you buy, you’re getting free shipping, a 101 night sleep trial, and unbeatable lifetime warranty.
Puffy Lux is so popular due to its high quality features without the big price tag, along with the big sleep trial and warranty Puffy have become well known for.
Puffy Lux Mattress: Brand And Product Overview
- New additon
- Provide background information on the Puffy brand and an overview of the Puffy Lux Mattress, highlighting its position in the market for 2024.
Puffy Lux Mattress Features
The Puffy Lux Mattress stands at 12 inches tall and is made from foams that are Certi-PUR US Certified for your peace of mind about toxins in foam mattresses. Puffy mattresses are also made in a closed chamber system, which is kinder to the environment as it helps reduce emissions.
- Cover: made from Oeko-Tex certified polyester fabric, which is stain resistant. You can wash it if you need; it has a zipper so you can easily remove and wash it.
- Comfort layers: the Puffy Lux Mattress contains three comfort layers. All in all, you’re getting 6 inches of memory foams infused with cool technologies. The top and bottom comfort layers both have temperature-regulating properties, allowing the middle layer, which has the main job of providing pressure relief, to do its thing without heating you up. From the top down, the 3 layers are:
- 2 Inches of “Climate Comfort Foam” – this is a proprietary foam only in Puffy mattresses. It is infused with gel particles, which are there to help draw your body heat away to stop you from sleeping hot.
- 2 Inches of “Dual Cloud Layer Foam” – this is a foam exclusive to the Lux mattress that is designed to work below the gel-infused layer to provide pressure relief. It is this comfort layer that adds enhanced spinal support over and above that offered by the Puffy Original.
- 2 Inches of “Climate Comfort Foam” which acts as the transition layer between the upper comfort layers and the firmer support core underneath it. It also helps regulate your body temperature.
- Support core: pocket coil support core, made from “contour adapt” coils for great pressure relief and support. Coils give you better edge support, a springier mattress, and better air flow than an all foam core.
Trial And Warranty
All Puffy mattresses come with a 101 night sleep trial (this is important because you really need to try a mattress for 30 nights to find out if it’s a good fit for you). Puffy have a minimum requirement that you try the mattress for 14 days and do suggest, just like I would, to give it up to 30 days if you can.
Puffy mattresses have a lifetime warranty. 10 years is common so the life time warranty helps set it apart from its competition. Another cool thing about the warranty is that no matter when in the lifetime of the mattress a defect shows up, Puffy will replace it.
Other companies offering lifetime warranties may only repair after a set period of time, but Puffy guarantees you a new mattress no matter how long into its life the problem arises. You can read the full warranty wording here (link)
How does the Puffy Lux Mattress Differ from the Original Puffy Mattress?
- Puffy Lux has an extra 2 inches of comfort layer so it’s a bit taller and a bit softer (Original is 10 inches high, Lux is 12 inches).
- It has a nicer cover.
- Puffy Lux has a coil core, the original Puffy has a foam core.
How does the Puffy Lux Mattress Differ from the Puffy Royal Mattress?
While Puffy Lux is the upgrade from the original Puffy, the Puffy Royal is the upgrade from the Puffy Lux. You’ll want to read this if you want a mattress with even more features than I’ve already described in this Puffy Lux review.
I think the Puffy Royal actually has some pretty cool features, and you get some major upgrades for the extra money you’re investing.
- The Puffy Royal is 14 inches high, so 2 inches higher than the Lux and 4 inches higher than the Original. The extra height comes from a FOURTH comfort layer only found in Royal, which contains cooling beads to further aid temperature regulation as you sleep.
- The Lux also has differences in one of the other comfort layers, for even better pressure relief.
- The firmness of the foam in the Royal is zoned across the mattress (see image below) for enhanced spine support. The other two Puffys don’t have this zoning. In fact I’ve only really seen zoning in hybrids, not much in all foam mattresses.
- The transition layer between the upper comfort layers and the support core has channels to allow for air flow. In keeping with Puffy’s name and brand ethos, these are shaped like cute little clouds.
Puffy Lux Mattress Review: Is It Right For You?
I believe the Puffy Lux Mattress is going to be best for side and back sleepers, or people who sleep in a combination of positions. Why? The reason for my opinion is that the 6 inches of comfort foam should provide a good amount of pressure relief for the shoulders of side sleepers, and also do a good job of keeping the backs straight of back sleepers.
Since the support core is only 6 inches thick (I usually like to see 7 inches of support core) this mattress would not be my top pick for heavier people or stomach sleepers (unless you’re a stomach sleeper who is quite light), who both need something quite firm.
The Puffy Lux is also slightly softer than the Original Puffy, and since you need a firmer mattress you would be better with that if you really want a Puffy Mattress.
What Does the Puffy Lux Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
From my hours of research combing through the reviews of this mattress, most people found it was responsive and a little bouncy to lie on. This means it will instantly relieve your pressure points and contour to your body without leaving you with that “sink in” feeling memory foam is notorious for.
It is rated a 5-7 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, a rating which would be considered “medium-plush”. This is a firmness level that should feel comfortable to a wide range of people and it is slightly softer than the Original Puffy, which is rated 6-8 out of 10. The Lux is firmer than the new Puffy Royal, which is the softest of the Puffy range with a rating of 4-6 out of 10.
I therefore think the Puffy Lux is probably the best at hitting that “Goldilocks” target of medium feel, which most people will enjoy.
The Puffy Lux Mattress does a good job of evenly distributing body weight, and is great at motion isolation too so you won’t notice if your partner tosses and turns all night.
If you like to lie right on the edge of your mattress, you will find the edge support feels quite weak and you may feel like you could slip right off. This is a problem with every memory foam mattress. If this is a concern for you, you should check out my reviews of hybrid mattresses instead.
Are there Any Problems with this Mattress?
My research did not uncover any comfort or quality issues with the Lux mattress. From reading through the reviews, there were quite a lot of complaints from people who had chosen the wrong firmness level.
Remember, how a mattress feels is going to be different for everyone, and it’s for exactly this reason you’re given a 101 night in home sleep trial. If you take a chance on the Puffy Lux and don’t like it, you can easily get a refund or try one of their other mattresses.
What are the Puffy Lux Best Alternatives?
If you’re not entirely convinced the Puffy Lux is for you and you’re wanting some other ideas, here are my recommendations from the mattresses I have researched and reviewed.
- Better mattresses for heavy people: Read about my top picks
- A hybrid mattress with several comfort layers: DreamCloud
- An eco friendly mattress: Avocado
What are People Saying who Love this Mattress?
There are thousands of people who love their Puffy mattresses, claiming that they do live up to the hype and are sleeping on them very happily. This is what people are saying about their Puffy Lux Mattress:
“Not too hard or too soft, we are getting really good sleep”
“I’m a side sleeper and I bought this after doing lots of online research. I’m very happy with my choice.”
“I’ve been sleeping on mine for 2 months now and it’s really helping with my back pain.”
“This mattress sleeps better than the big brand one we had before, which cost twice the price.”
“There are plenty of options out there but I’m so glad I chose Puffy and I highly recommend it.”
Anything Else I Need To Know?
- Puffy recommends you use bamboo sheets with their mattresses.
- If you have two people that want different mattress firmness, you can buy a split king base and put two twin XL Puffy mattresses on it. One of you could go Original, the other could go Lux or Royal, it’s totally up to you.
- Puffy mattresses are designed to hold up to 350lb of weight per side, so a Queen or King can hold 700lb total weight.
- You can use your Puffy mattress on any box spring or foundation, just never put any mattress directly on the floor.
- The weight of a King size Puffy Lux is 95lb, the Queen is 75lb.
- Do not flip your Puffy Lux mattress over, you should always use it with the comfort layers at the top for pressure relief, contouring, and spinal support.
- Some mattress companies give you the option to pay for a white glove service, which involves the removal (and disposal) of your own mattress and the set up of the new one. Puffy doesn’t offer this. However, it’s so easy to set up a new mattress that comes in a box. The main issue is removal of your old mattress, you’ll need to contact a local junk yard instead.
Final Opinion Time: Is it Worth Buying?
I think that with its price point under $2000, the generous amount of comfort layers, and the lifetime warranty, the Puffy Lux is a good mattress for your money. My only hesitation is whether it is it worth that much more than the Puffy Original. The 2020 update with the option of choosing a hybrid model certainly makes it more attractive than it was, but there are other mattresses out there in this price range such as DreamCloud that might offer you more.
For your extra money you are getting a better cover, an extra comfort layer that increases the spinal support and slightly softens the mattress, so if that sounds like what you’re looking for then I recommend you go for it. If you’re not too bothered you’ll probably be fine with the Puffy Original. I think Puffy make good quality mattresses, and am happy to recommend their mattress range.
Puffy Lux Mattress$1445 - $1995
- Generous sleep trial and warranty period
- Very popular mattress with endorsements from Consumer Reports and Forbes
- Made in small batches in the USA
- Support core is 6 inches thick, I prefer 7 inches
- Weak edge support as with all memory foam
- Weight limit only 350lb per side or 700lb total