Looking for a natural latex mattress with a 25 year warranty? Want to choose a mattress made from natural materials with no nasties? Keep reading: Peacelily could be exactly the mattress you’re looking for. With it’s dual firmness options, price transparency and high quality materials, it’s no surprise Peacelily has fast become a popular latex mattress choice for those in the know. In this Peacelily Mattress Review I’ll take you through all the need to know details and offer my analysis of how it stacks up against your other options.
- Peacelily Overview
- Peacelily Mattress Features
- What Does A Peacelily Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- Why Should I Choose Peacelily Over Another Brand?
- Peacelily Prices
- What Customers Are Saying About Peacelily
- Final Opinion
Peacelily is a family owned and managed Australian brand. Peacelily HQ is in Melbourne, there’s also a showroom.
The founder of Peacelily is a nice guy called Migs: Migs grew up in Perth and has Sri Lankan heritage. You’ll see him in the promotional images on the Peacelily website. Peacelily uses sustainably sourced Sri Lankan latex inside their mattress, and even own their own manufacturing plant in Sri Lanka so they have full control of the production process.
Peacelily are a friendly team to chat to and are fast at responding to emails. You’ll get great customer service from these guys (I think this is the #1 thing when you’re running an online business and they seem to have it sorted).
Peacelily Mattress Features
Your Peacelily mattress is 22cm tall and contains 20cm of latex. This is pretty generous for the price: from what I’ve seen of full latex mattresses in stores, you can expect to pay at least $500 more for 2.5-5cm less latex.
Peacelily is a flippable mattress with a different feel on each side, effectively giving you two mattresses in one. The softer side is a gentle medium, the other is firm. This is excellent news for people who aren’t sure what firmness they need in a mattress, or those who like the idea of changing things up every now and then.
Here’s what you’ll find in a Peacelily mattress:
- 100% natural latex core (sustainably sourced from Sri Lanka, a world leader in producing the best quality latex). The latex Peacelily uses is made using the Dunlop process, which is in my opinion the best way to make latex for mattresses.
- The latex is arranged in three layers: 5cm of gentle medium on one side, 10cm of core support latex, then 5cm of firm latex on the other side. These layers are held together with a certified natural latex glue.
- 100% organic cotton batting and cover: The cotton wadding provides quilting in the cover, and is there as a little touch of softness. The total depth of cotton on the mattress is 2cm, and has quality touches such as hand-stitched edging and super strong handles (this is important: latex mattresses are heavy to move).
- The cotton Peacelily uses comes from China. Most of the cotton that is commercially available comes from either India or China: in their quality testing, Peacelily found that the cotton they could get from China was of higher quality to meet their high standards.
Durability guarantee: Peacelily mattresses have a coveted LGA certification. Peacelily has been durability tested by putting 150kg of weight through the mattress 60,000 times to simulate regular use. Peace Lily passed the test with flying colours. You won’t find many brands making claims like this.
What Does A Peacelily Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
Have you ever tried a latex mattress? If you haven’t, it’s a bit of a different feel to a traditional spring mattress and is also different to memory foam. Latex is quite a heavy material that can appear to be floppy, so if you’ve not seen it before be prepared for this when you unbox it. Don’t worry, it’s extremely strong and comfortable!
Latex is a naturally resilient and bouncy material, so you won’t get the contouring you’d expect from memory foam, but you do get excellent pressure relief and support with a bit of bounce. I personally love the feel of latex mattresses, they are very comfortable to lie on.
Latex works really well for people looking for a mattress that they can lie “on” instead of “in” because the latex naturally holds you up instead of contouring like a memory foam. It’s also a great choice for people who are concerned about getting hot while they sleep. Latex is famed for being naturally breathable and heat dissipating.
The gentle medium side of the Peacelily mattress will work best for:
- Side sleepers (you need some softness to give good pressure relief through your shoulder)
- Back sleepers (you’ll probably be fine on either side)
- Couples who can’t agree on a firmness level (medium is the best compromise)
- Anyone who just wants a great medium feel mattress
The firm side of the Peacelily mattress will work best for:
- Stomach sleepers (you need firmness to support your hips correctly)
- Heavier people
- Anyone who just likes a firmer mattress
You can also add the Peacelily latex mattress topper to your mattress to give it a slightly more plush feel.
Why Should I Choose Peacelily Over Another Brand?
I’ve probably covered most of these points already, but let me spell them out again:
- Peacelily is great value for money: you’re getting more cm of latex than you’ll find elsewhere, and you’re paying less while you’re at it!
- Peacelily offers a 100 night sleep trial and 25 year warranty. Sure, 100 night sleep trials are pretty common in the online mattress world, but that’s a pretty unbeatable warranty.
- Peacelily only contains latex and cotton. It’s not a mattress with one layer of latex on top of memory foams or coils, its full latex. This means it’s all natural, and extremely durable.
- Peacelily uses sustainably sourced latex and certified organic cotton.
- Peacelily is double sided: you can try out medium and firm in the one mattress, and choose which works best for you.
- Peacelily has very strong handles in the cover: this may seem minor, but all-latex mattresses are heavy and can be difficult to maneuver. Strong handles are a must here, and they also show you the commitment Peacelily has made to quality finishes.
- Peacelily is completely transparent with their pricing: they even have an image showing you exactly where your money is going, which something I’ve not seen from any other mattress in a box brand.
Peacelily Mattress Prices
Peacelily believes in what they call honest pricing. You’ll see what I mean in the image below (using NZD): they are happy to be 100% transparent with their customers about what their costs are and what their profit is in relation to that.
Peacelily mattresses are priced from under $1000 in both Australia and New Zealand.
Peacelily Mattress Review: Real Customer Opinions
You can head to productreview.com.au to get a good gauge of what customers think of Peacelily. At the time of writing, Peacelily has an impressive 4.4 out of 5 stars with comments such as:
“This mattress is excellent value for money and almost seems too perfect”.
“I like the high quality materials and the fact they are natural.”
“The mattress is very comfortable and we are both sleeping better.”
“This mattress is extremely comfortable, stylish, simple, and effective.”
“I’ve had this mattress 10 months now and it’s as good as the day I recieved it”.
I carefully read the negative comments too, but didn’t find anything in them that should worry you:
- One person was concerned about chemicals being used in the manufacturing process and that the mattress is not actually natural. You can rest assured that Peacelily is indeed natural latex. The process of converting rubber sap into latex does involve chemicals, but the way Peacelily runs their manufacturing they are able to achieve 96% latex (an extremely high number), which is then thoroughly washed before being made into your mattress.
- Another was concerned that they could not get responsive customer care. This was in September 2019, and Peacelily have made big improvements to their customer service as they have grown, so this will no longer be an issue.
If you’re a Kiwi or an Aussie looking for a high quality latex mattress at an absolute steal of a price, Peacelily is the right mattress for you. They’re a nice company who believes in quality and customer service, and the mattress is great. If I were in the market for a new mattress myself, Peacelily would be a top contender.