Revel Mattress Review – Best Price For A US Made Mattress?
Revel Mattress Review: Revel is an Amazon exclusive brand in the budget foam mattress category. They set themselves way apart from their competitors in the same price bracket by making their mattresses in the USA, not overseas.
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll find in this Revel Mattress review and analysis:
- Revel Mattress: Brand Overview
- Revel Mattress Features
- What Does A Revel Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- Is Revel The Right Mattress For You?
- Are There Any Problems With Revel Mattresses?
- What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? (Reviews From Real People)
Revel Mattress: Brand Overview
Revel is an Amazon exclusive mattress brand. Revel is owned by FXI, a producer of products for a wide range of industries including home and health care. FXI merged with Innocor in 2019: Innocor is a well known foam producer in the USA who has been in business since the 1950’s, so you could say they know a bit about foams.
Because the merger happened recently, you may see Revel being referred to as an Innocor brand, and indeed it is Innocor foams that are used in the mattresses.
The size of the company and well established foam production business meant they have been able to design and sell Revel mattresses: budget priced all foam mattresses with clever innovations AND made in the USA.
Revel Mattress Features
The Revel Mattress is a fairly standard three foam layer construction, but it has some standout features:
- 12 Inch depth (many other mattresses at this price or even at higher prices are only 10 inches, especially if you want made in the USA)
- Cover: a white polyester knit (standard mattress cover fabric at this price) with a striking pattern
- Comfort layer 1: A generous 3 inches of memory foam. This has been infused with gel to help with temperature regulation. This comfort layer is there to provide contouring and pressure relief.
- Comfort layer 2: 2 Inches of “Lifttex” foam. This is a proprietary foam engineered to behave like latex. This means it’s highly responsive: it’s a great layer to have under the memory foam because it provides cushioning and support without letting the memory foam sink down too far. It’s also an open cell foam for breathability, and as you can see in the picture it has convolutions in the top to promote better air flow than regular all foam mattresses.
- In total, Revel has 5 inches of comfort foams, which is generous at this price. They are cleverly designed and well thought out to act together for the perfect blend of contouring and support.
- Base Foam: This is a pretty standard 7 inches of high density polyfoam. Note the small mistake Revel need to fix in their picture: it says 20 year warranty but in fact your warranty is 20 years so please be aware of that.
What Does A Revel Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
Revel has been designed to have a medium feel. This is where the majority of people are going to sleep comfortably as it shouldn’t be too firm or too soft. Revel rate the mattress themselves as a 5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, which is is a common medium score, perhaps a tiny touch softer.
When you lie on a Revel mattress, you’ll feel yourself sinking nicely into the contouring memory foam which is directly under the cover. Don’t worry, you won’t sink too far though: just enough to cradle your pressure points. The Lifttex foam will kick into action with your body-weight to stop you sinking further, providing a nice balance of buouyant cushioning under the memory foam.
You shouldn’t get overly hot sleeping on Revel as it has three features to keep you cool (gel infusion, open cell Lifttex, convolutions in the Lifttex). However, in general, all foam mattresses do sleep slightly warmer than hybrids because air naturally circulates the best through the coils of a hybrid.
Is Revel The Right Mattress For You?
While Revel has a medium feel that should work for a lot of people, this mattress is not for everyone. Here’s my recommendation for who will like it and who should check out something else:
Buy Revel If:
- You want a cheaper mattress that is made in the USA
- You’re not looking for a very firm mattress
- You are of lighter body weight (the lower density foams should work better for you)
Don’t Buy Revel If:
- You weigh over 230 lb (this mattress will probably be too soft to give you the support you deserve). Read my review of the best budget pick for your weight here.
- You sleep on your stomach. Stomach sleepers put a lot of pressure on their lower backs in the night, and their hips can dip if their mattress is not supportive enough. You’ll need a firmer mattress to keep your hips and lower back in line.
- You’re looking for a mattress for every day use that’s going to last a long time: Revel is a budget brand so the foams inside are going to be cheaper, which means they will break down sooner. If you’re looking for something comfy for 1-3 years I think Revel will be fine. Anything longer and you’ll need to invest in something of higher quality, like one of these.
Are There Any Problems With Revel Mattresses?
As I mentioned above, Revel is a budget brand and the quality of the foams are going to reflect that. While I believe they are great foams that will do a great job while they last, I think they will break down after a couple of years of regular use. This is true for pretty much all foam mattresses at this price point. If you’re looking for something for a child or a guest room, this will be less of a problem, likewise if you’re looking for something to last the next little while.
One thing that really struck me when I read through customer reviews was that some people were adamant this mattress was extremely firm while others swore it was extremely soft. It’s hard to say who is right because we don’t have the data on their weight, sleep style, and base they were using, but I was surprised to see it was so polarizing. If you stick to my recommendations of who will love Revel above, you should be fine.
As with most budget mattresses sold on Amazon, you do not have a 100 night sleep trial here, just your usual Amazon 30 day right of return. If you want any mattress with this reassurance, you’ll need to spend more money. My top Amazon choice for you would be Snuggle Pedic as it’s also sold on Amazon, made in the USA, and has a 4 month sleep trial.
What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? Reviews From Real People
The majority of people (more than 85%) are very happy with their Revel mattress, based on what real customers have to say. This number is probably even higher, as people are more likely to come back and comment when they are unhappy with something!
People generally agree that Revel is well made, and they like the fact they can purchase a mattress made in the USA at this price point. Here’s a selection of what satistifed customers are saying:
“I am sleeping really well on this mattress. It’s holding up nicely after three months of use and my wife says it’s the best Amazon purchase we ever made.”
“The squishy top layer conforms to my back like a soft hug. The second layer is supportive, and the base layer gives great structure. I fall asleep quickly, stay asleep, and wake with less pain than I used to.”
“This mattress is comfy, cool, and well made. I’m still sleeping well on it after several months.”
“This was my first mattress in a box and it has blown all my expectations out of the water.”
“This mattress is soft yet supportive. I think it’s amazing value and I love it.”