SoundAsleep Air Mattress: Is The Popular Dream Series Model Worth Its Hype?
The Dream Series SoundAsleep Air Mattress is an extremely popular air mattress sold on Amazon with a high star rating and thousands of reviews. As one of the top sellers in its category, it is often the best selling air mattress on Amazon on any given day. In this SoundAsleep Air Mattress Review, I’ll take a closer look at all the details to help you decide if this air mattress is a good quality choice that is right for your needs.
Who Are SoundAsleep?
SoundAsleep is a well established company based in New Jersey that specializes in online sales of air mattresses. They have the highest rating of A+ from the Better Business Bureau and zero complaints against them.
SoundAsleep prioritize and pride themselves on their great customer service. From what I have seen of their interactions with customers on Amazon, they live up to their claims, and even go above and beyond to help customers out.
For example, they provide detailed and honest answers to customer questions about their product, even if the final answer is SoundAsleep recommending the customer does not purchase their product because they don’t think it’s the right fit for the customer. In the cut-throat world of online retail, it’s refreshing to see such up-front integrity and honesty from a company.
SoundAsleep Air Mattress Features
- Twin: 73” x 38” x 18”
- Weight: 13.58lb
- Twin XL: 80” x 40.5” x 18.5 “
- Weight: 14.82lb
- Queen: 78” x 58” x 19”
- Weight: 18.96lb
- King: 82” x 70” x 18”
- Weight: 23.5lb
This is a good size range: King size is often not available for air mattresses. SoundAsleep state that the sizes from Twin XL upwards will comfortably sleep two people.
The dimensions given are for the fully inflated air mattress.
The upper surface of the SoundAsleep air mattress is a thick, flocked fabric that is waterproof. This is a standard feature of higher end air mattresses to make the surface more comfortable to lie on, and can even be used without sheets (though I would always recommend sheets).
The main body of the air mattress is made from PVC. SoundAsleep use a multiple layer construction system to help improve the durability of their air mattress.
Inside the mattress are coils, which help to maintain the shape of the air mattress, and provide good support for your body as you lie on it. The Queen size mattress contains 40 coils.
This air mattress has slightly raised sides, which are there to give edge support.
The bottom of the mattress is a grippy material called SureGrip, designed to keep your mattress from sliding around on the floor.
The pump should fill your mattress within 4 minutes for all sizes up to the Queen size. The King size takes up to 6 minutes. This fill time is within standard I would expect, as it should take no more than 5 minutes to fill a Queen size air mattress that has an internal pump.
The pump design is a patented one click design and SoundAsleep claim that once filled, your air mattress should stay inflated for several days.
The pump on the Dream Series mattress I am reviewing for you here does not have an auto off switch for when the mattress is finished inflating, and SoundAsleep recommend you stay near the mattress as you inflate it. What the pump does have is a safety off switch, which will kick in after 7 minutes. This is to prevent the pump motor overheating. If the off switch is activated, you’ll notice a little light illuminate on the pump interface, which lets you know the motor is taking 30 minutes to cool back down. You need to wait that length of time before the pump will work again.
Don’t fear, you can’t over-inflate this mattress: if you don’t turn the pump off once it reaches full capacity, air will simply flow back out through the valve, you won’t blow up your mattress! It’s very easy to use by all accounts.
Other Features To Note:
- One year warranty. This is adequate, but it is the minimum you want from a quality air mattress
- Weight capacity: up to 500lb
- Comes with a storage bag and repair kit
What Does This Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
SoundAsleep have engineered this mattress to feel like you’re lying on a regular mattress, not an air mattress.
The majority of people who have tried this mattress report that it is very comfortable to lie on, and that they slept well on it. The height of the mattress at 18-19 inches and the coil support core work together to provide this high level of comfort.
Is This Mattress Right For You?
- This mattress is designed for in home use on a smooth clean floor. If this is your intended use, it’s a great option for you.
- SoundAsleep state that the Twin XL size is big enough for two people to use with adequate comfort, so if you’re looking for a smaller guest option it could be good. I’d recommend that when using this mattress for two people, you inflate the mattress to its maximum capacity so it’s firm enough to support both people.
- With a weight threshold of 500lb for the Queen, it’s a good choice for couples: either yourselves or if you’re having people to stay.
- This is a great air mattress for everyone to be able to get up reasonably easily from. The double height means that this air mattress is high enough for you to move yourself into a sitting position from lying, and then stand up, rather than having to try to go from a lie to stand.
- The company have said themselves that this mattress is not designed for outdoor use or camping, so if you’re looking for an air mattress for camping, you will need to look at something else (see alternatives below). The two main reasons are that
- You cannot use this mattress with any external pump so you’d have trouble inflating it.
- The bottom of the mattress, while tough and durable, has not been designed to withstand puncturing from rocks, sticks, or anything else you might come across while setting up camping.
- Like most air mattresses, this one is designed for occasional use. If you plan on using it continuously for periods of longer than a week, I’d suggest you look at another budget mattress type rather than an air mattress. Again, I have a good option for you further on in this article.
Are There Any Problems With This Mattress?
Like all mattresses, this one has its share of 1 and 2 star reviews. Here is what people didn’t like about this mattress:
- Some people found it started leaking air after continuous use for months. However, this is to be expected. As it is designed for occasional use. If the mattress held up continuously for months I’d say that was actually pretty awesome.
- Some people reported that it would leak air on the first use. There are a couple of things you can do to avoid this:
- Make sure the pump is switched to “off” once you have finished inflating it, because if it’s on any other setting the valve will be open and therefore able to leak air.
- Before using the air mattress for the first time, you should fully inflate it and deflate it a couple of times. This is because the PVC needs to stretch to find it’s normal shape. If you lie straight on it without going through this process, the mattress will stretch as you lie on it instead, which will make it feel saggy.
- There are quite a few reports of this air mattress developing holes and tears with anything even just slightly more than very occasional use, so I do wonder how great the quality of the construction really is. From reading through comments from users who have reported problems that are not related to continuous use or the switch being in the wrong position, the most common place for leaks to develop is near the seams.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE: when you look at the number of one star reviews for leaking air or holes compared to other air mattresses, the SoundAsleep Air Mattress actually performs better than its competition. That is, there are less people complaining about their SoundAsleep busting than there are about other brands.
What Are The Alternatives?
If you’re not sure that this mattress sounds like the one for you, here are some great alternatives for different scenarios:
- A mattress that can work double duty both indoors and for camping: Intex (Intex is also 2 inches longer if you’re a tall person concerned about the mattress dimensions)
- If you like the SoundAsleep brand but need a mattress that is lower profile or better suited to camping, you can try out their camping series mattress
- If you just want a cheap mattress that is going to get more than occasional use, Amazon has some really good memory foam and hybrid mattress options for you instead of an air mattress. My recommendations would either be Zinus for a budget memory foam which you can read about here, or any of the mattresses in my top ten hybrids under $600 which you can read here.
- If you want an air mattress with a pump that turns off as soon as it is done filling, SoundAsleep have a more expensive air mattress line called CloudNine which has this feature.
What Are People Saying Who Love This Mattress?
- “This is our second Dream Series mattress from SoundAsleep. We use it at our holiday home and I prefer it to the (high end) mattresses we have on the beds there!”
- “Fast inflation and deflation, easy to pack up into the bag to carry or store.”
- “This mattress feels so solid you almost forget you are lying on an air mattress. If you need a high quality air mattress I highly recommend this one!”
- “This is my first air bed experience and I couldn’t be more pleased. I’m a senior and was a bit worried about how easy it would be to get into but the height makes it easy to sit down on and get up from.”
- “I had an issue with the mattress starting to leak air, but the SoundAsleep team were so responsive and sent me a replacement mattress which arrived the very next day. I’d buy from them again because of their amazing service.”
- “This bed is by far the most comfortable air mattress I have ever slept on.”
Anything Else I Need To Know?
- If using this mattress for more than one night in a row, SoundAsleep recommend you top it up with 10-15 seconds of air on each night after the first night. This will help the mattress maintain its full firmness. All air mattresses will need extra air after the first night.
- Even though you can sleep directly on the soft flocked top of the mattress, SoundAsleep recommend that if you’re going to use this mattress for any extended period of time that you use a sheet on top. You should make sure that any sheets you use on your air mattress are deep enough to cover the entire height. For example, if you buy the Queen which is 19 inches deep, you’ll want to be using sheets at least that deep on top of it to ensure the sheets don’t come off as you sleep. HOWEVER: some people have reported using King sized sheets on the Queen size of this mattress and they stayed put just fine.
- Remember that air mattresses are designed for temporary use, not as a cheaper replacement for a regular mattress SoundAsleep have said themselves that this air mattress is designed to be used a couple of times a week or month. However, there are many reviews from customers who state they have been happily using their SoundAsleep mattress for months on end with no issues, so you could probably get away with it, but I wouldn’t expect the company to cover any warranty issues with such higher usage than intended by SoundAsleep. The main issue you will experience if you use the mattress for more than a temporary sleep solution is slow leaking of air from the mattress.
My Final Opinion
Here is how the SoundAsleep Air Mattress stacks up against my criteria for a good air mattress that is worth spending your money on:
- Efficient pump? Yes (but cannot be connected to an external pump)
- Chamber and coil support system? Yes
- 2 or 3 year warranty? No
- Tough bottom? Yes
- Flocked top? Yes
- Weight capacity? 500lb, I think this is good
- Packs down small? Yes
- Lots of customers satisfied with their purchase of this air mattress? Yes
I think that the SoundAsleep stacks up pretty well. There is no doubt that it is a really comfortable air mattress, even the one star reviewers would agree. But it does need to be treated with care and is designed for occasional use only.
Pretty much everyone agrees that when this mattress works it’s incredibly comfortable, and that SoundAsleep provide great customer service. These are great things in favor of this mattress if you choose to buy it, and there are thousands more people who are happy with this mattress than those who aren’t. If I needed an air mattress I’d be happy to buy it for myself so I’m happy to recommend it to you.