Zinus Green Tea Mattress Review
Is this the best memory foam mattress available on Amazon? What about being best mattress available on Amazon OVERALL?? Since this mattress was occupying the #1 best seller spot of all thousands of mattresses sold on Amazon at the time of writing this Zinus Green Tea Mattress Review in January 2019, it would be remiss not to give it a review. Let’s jump in and see if this mattress really does live up to the hype, or is there something to the negative reviews? I thought I’d better write this Zinus Green Tea Mattress review to help you sift through it all. This post is long and contains a lot of information, please click on any of the sections below to take you straight to the information you’re interested in.
- Pros and Cons
- Technical Information
- Who this Mattress is Best Suited to?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Use (Yes, really! there is some important information here!)
- Real Comments and constructive tips from the 16,000 happy users who rated it 5 stars
- My Conclusion and Overall Opinion
- Best Place to Buy
Zinus is a company that makes mattresses, bed frames, and sofas. They describe themselves as where “beds are marshmallows”. Great line!
They launched in 2004 and have been innovating mattress technology ever since. For example they introduced bio foam in 2007 and patented some cooling technology in 2011. The Green Tea memory foam mattress is infused with green tea extract, which is to act as a deodorizer and to absorb any odor. It also contains activated charcoal to wick away any moisture.
Pros and cons
One more thing that needs to be discussed is the fiberglass used as the fire barrier. I have not put it in the table as it could be a pro or con depending on your own personal feelings about it!
Mattresses sold in the United States are required under federal law to contain a flame retardant or fire barrier. Chemicals have often been used as a flame retardant, but there has been a massive swell of concern regarding health risks. Zinus have therefore opted not to use chemicals, but incorporated fiberglass into a lining instead.
The fiberglass is a big PRO if you dislike the idea of sleeping with extra chemicals.
It is a big CON if you open up the cover (you must NOT open this mattress up for exactly this reason) and risk fiberglass escaping from the mattress and sending tiny particles all around your space. This has actually been the cause of many negative reviews for this mattress so I cannot stress enough how important it is not to remove the cover, as frustrating as that is.
Most people report the off-gassing odor (most memory foam mattresses have this) dissipates within a day or two. However, there is more than one person who has reported a strong odor in the room for a couple of weeks or more.
What exactly is the mattress made up of? Each has the same soft stretch cover, but the different thickness mattresses have different specifications. They are:
- 6 inch: 1″ memory foam + 5″ high density base support foam
- 8 inch: 2″ memory foam + 2″ comfort foam + 4″ high density base support foam
- 10 inch: 2.5″ memory foam + 2″ comfort foam + 5.5″ high density base support foam
- 12 inch: 3″ memory foam + 2″ comfort foam + 3.5″ high density foam + 3.5″ high density support foam
The core support foam on each mattress is made of polyurethane, which is the material responsible for the off–gassing odors reported by many users. It is, however, an extremely common material used in mattresses right now.
The price increases as the thickness does.
Warranty and shipping
The Zinus Green Tea memory foam mattress comes with a 10 year warranty regardless of whether you buy it from Amazon or direct from Zinus. I got a bit confused when first looking at Amazon as in the buy box there is an up-sell item of a mattress protector that is meant to last ten years. Don’t get confused like me and think you have to purchase this for the ten year warranty. However, do be aware that you will want to use a mattress protector as any stains or marks will void the warranty and the cover of the mattress is not removable for washing.
If you purchase direct from Zinus you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you or not. If you buy from Amazon, their house policy of the standard 30 days applies. Both will ship the mattress to you for free, Amazon is a few days quicker.
Who is it best suited to?
These are my opinions, based on reading thousands of comments from current green tea mattress users and researching what mattress type works for different people.
There are not many people who buy the thinnest, 6 inch mattress. It does, however, seem to be popular with people wanting them for RVs or holiday homes. Remember, this is the thinnest mattress, with the least layers of foam. It is therefore also the cheapest. It is also suited to those wanting a very firm mattress.
Concerned about getting hot in your sleep? While this mattress lacks gel in the memory foam, which is what is usually used for cooling, it has a different trick to keep you cool. Within the high density foam layer, the foam is convoluted (see the image above), which helps release any heat that may be trying to build up within the mattress. However, several people have found it slept hotter than other memory foam mattresses on the market. Adding a gel topper will help.
Side sleeper? Pick your comfort level, you should be fine with this mattress. A 10 or 12 (so leaning towards the not so firm end of the scale) could be good, because it will mold to the natural lines of your body to support you.
Back and stomach sleepers will want to go for a firmer mattress because more of your body surface is touching the bed than a side sleeper. Stomach sleepers in particular will need the most support. This mattress still could work for you, but you will probably want the 8 inch one. You may actually prefer an inner spring mattress instead.
- Why must I open the mattress within a week of delivery?
- To ensure correct decompression. If you leave it too long, you risk the mattress not expanding properly to its full inches.
- Why does the cover have a zip I’m not supposed to open?
- It is used in the manufacturing process. I think Zinus should get a better process because this zipper, which does open, causes all sorts of issues for people who remove the cover when they shouldn’t.
- Is the cover washable?
- Lots of users say yes. But you REALLY shouldn’t take it off. Zinus strongly recommends you leave it on and spot clean only.
- Will my current sheets fit the mattress?
- Users agree that you will not need to replace your sheets with deeper pocket sheets to accommodate this mattress. Your current linen will fit as long as it is the same size as your current bed.
- Should I worry about the smell?
- You can expect an odor for a couple of days. This will not do you any harm, but you may find it unpleasant. This really seems to be quite subjective though and probably depends on the sensitivity of the user and the environment the mattress is in. User experiences range from a lot of people reporting no smell at all, to (from what i can gather) most noting a “slight” off-gassing odor that went away within a day or two. There are some though, that found the smell lasted weeks and was so strong they ended up returning the mattress because of it. I remember how shocked i was at the spring mattress smell we got for our boys cot, because i was not prepared for it! But it completely went after 2 days and is absolutely fine. Forewarned is forearmed!
How long will the mattress last? a lot of amazon users have commented on this mattress saying it’s great after a few months of ownership. I dug deep through the comments and found many owners who were happy with it 4, 5, even 10 years down the track. so it should definitely see you through the ten years it is under warranty for, and this is a good life span for a mattress (internal link). if it doesn’t, get it replaced.
How to use
This may seem like a strange section to include in a review….after all, wouldn’t you just lie down on it and go to sleep?! In my research for this article I found that a number of the negative comments could have been avoided if people had only used it correctly, so I have made a list to help you get the most from your mattress.
- Open within a week of delivery, lay flat to decompress to full size.
- Be prepared for an odor and for the mattress to take up to 72 hours to fully decompress.
- You can start sleeping on the mattress before it’s fully decompressed. In fact, as this encourages airflow around the mattress and speed up the process.
- Use on top of any bedding frame (box spring, slat, etc as long as it is a stable flat surface). If using on an adjustable bed base, Zinus recommends choosing the 10 inch or thinner as the 12 inch mattress combined with one of these bases will leave fold lines. I would not recommend putting this directly onto the floor because there will be no airflow around the mattress.
- Use a mattress protector. Your warranty will be voided if there are any stains or marks and you cannot wash the cover apart from spot cleaning.
- Do NOT remove the cover that is on the mattress itself. If you open it, you risk disturbing the fiberglass fire barrier, which could send particles through your house. This could be an absolute disaster but be assured the mattress is 100% safe to use and you will have zero issues if you don’t open it.
What are people who love this mattress doing differently to most?
- They are rotating it regularly (read more about the importance of this here). One reader even went so far as to upgrade her review to five stars after rotating her mattress on a regular schedule to allow it to wear more evenly
- They are not put off by the slight off-gassing smell: they are expecting it and are confident it will dissipate quickly
This is a selection of genuine comments from the thousands upon thousands of people who love the Zinus Green Tea mattress. I have selected some comments from Amazon reviewers who rated this mattress five stars (the highest rating available) to provide you a summary of what these people think. I have made sure I’ve taken excerpts from the comments that other people looking to buy the mattress have found helpful.
In the case of the Zinus Green Tea mattress, the general theme that came through in the reviews is that people were pleasantly surprised at how well this mattress performs given its budget price point.
- “this mattress helped improve my back pain a lot more than I was expecting”
- “I got this for my son and I find it more comfortable than my own mattress, which I paid $1800 for”
- “I’m finally getting a good nights sleep”
- “I now look forward to going to bed because it is so comfortable”
- “The cover is lovely and soft”
- “This mattress feels nice and plush but still offers me support”
- “I had low expectations given the price, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised”
- “I’m glad I didn’t let some of the negative reviews put me off buying this mattress”
Constructive tips from real users
People who are already using the mattress often have some other great suggestions for using the mattress that you might find relevant. Some of these will be down to personal taste and are subjective in their nature, but you might find something here that is helpful for you as an individual.
- “adding a gel topper can help you sleep even cooler on this mattress if needed”
- “the mattress does not actually smell like green tea, so don’t expect that. The green tea is infused into the mattress to combat odor”
- “there is a Zinus “how to” video that shows one person unboxing the mattress by herself. I couldn’t have done it by myself, I found it needed two people to set the mattress up”
So, it is a good price and the majority of users are happy overall. I found some of the negatives pretty hard to ignore though. I do believe, that for the price, worth trying for yourself.
DOES IT DESERVE ITS SPOT AS KING OF AMAZON? I will say it is a good mattress for it’s price. I do not, however, believe it is the best mattress for sale on Amazon right now. I believe it has reached the coveted top seller spot by being a good budget option. If you are able to spend a little more, I’d recommend you try a better mattress such as Snuggle Pedic, which you can read my review of here.
Best place to buy
Your best options to buy are either on Amazon or direct from Zinus. The price is the same on both websites, but there are some other differences that may tip your choice one way or the other.
- Amazon has faster shipping, Shipping from Zinus is 5-10 days.
- If you buy from Zinus you will have longer to try the mattress (100 nights vs 30 days).
- From what I can gather from the thoughts of others, if customer service is very important to you, Amazon may be the more responsive of the two if you have a problem.