Memory foam mattresses without fiberglass: You’re here looking for a memory foam mattress without fiberglass. You already know about the potential issues fiberglass can cause in a mattress, so I’m not going to waste your time going over them here.
Instead, I’m going to take you straight to the memory foam mattresses that (as of 2023) do not contain fiberglass. This is a MEMORY FOAM mattress post, so you won’t find this list padded out with latex or mattresses that use other types of foam.
I’ve verified the fiberglass-free status of each mattress directly with the brands and I’ll show you proof as we go through each mattress.
Details Of The 6 Best Memory Foam Mattresses Without Fiberglass
Best Overall: Amerisleep AS3
This is the best-selling mattress from popular brand Amerisleep. It’s won countless “best mattress” awards and has almost 7000 positive reviews. With its universally comfortable medium feel, great value price tag and quality materials, it was an easy choice for best memory foam mattress without fiberglass.
- Price: Queen = $1749 (before discounts)
- Materials: Refresh cover that is up to 7 degrees cooler than standard covers, 3 internal foam layers (cooling memory foam, support layer designed for maximum targeted support, high density base layer). A cool thing about the Amerisleep AS3 is that you can opt for a hybrid with coils instead of an all foam mattress if that is your preference. Not many brands allow you to choose.
- Feel: Medium firm. Most customers agree with this rating and generally find this mattress comfortable, supportive, and responsive.
- Trial Period: 100 Nights
- Warranty: 20 Years (this is double what most other similar brands offer, which is 10 years)
- Shipping: Free within the continental USA
- Best For: I think this is a great mattress for most people. Lighter side sleepers may want to try something softer (like the Brentwood Oceano further along this list). Heavier stomach sleepers may want to try something firmer like the Titan mattress further down this list.
What Does AS3 Have Instead Of Fiberglass?
Amerisleep are proud to be a fiberglass free mattress brand. You’ll see their fiberglass free status splashed across their websites and they’ve written numerous blogs on the topic.
Amerisleep use rayon batting for the federally required fire barrier inside their mattresses. The batting acts as a thermal shield, which means it creates a barrier between the heat source (the heater, candle, cigarette, or whatever else in your room that causes the fire) and the fuel (the foam inside your mattress).
Best Luxury: Saatva Classic
Customize the height, choose your preferred firmness. Float on a luxurious 3 inch pillow top and feel the support of two layers of coils and enhanced spinal support. This mattress is absolutely jam packed with luxury features but it’s cheaper than you might think.
The extras you get with your Saatva Classic are above and beyond what others offer for a similar price. The only reason I’ve put the AS3 above it as my overall choice is that it’s got more memory foam.
The Saatva is a carefully crafted bed with a luxury pillow top and extra spinal support. Unusually, it’s got two coil units inside it so you’re really going to feel amazing lying on it. The year long sleep trial, lifetime warranty and free in-home set up are the icing on the luxury cake.
- Price: Queen = $1696 (before discounts, did you know a luxury bed could be this cheap?
- Materials: Quilted Euro pillow top for that luxe feel, high density memory foam + lumbar support wire that work together to support your back, zoned pocket coils for optimal targeted support when you lie down, and another base coil unit for solid support.
- Feel: You choose! The Saatva classic is available in soft, medium, or firm. The most popular model is medium.
- Trial Period: 365 Nights (yes you read that right, it’s a whole year)
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Shipping: Free, includes in-room delivery and set up. Also, this mattress does not come in a box, it’s already at its full size.
- Best For: Anyone. The support offered inside a Saatva mattress is next level, and you can choose the firmness to suit your personal preference.
What Does Saatva Classic Have Instead Of Fiberglass?
Saatva use thistle pulp as the fire barrier in their Classic Mattress. It’s mainly wood pulp mixed with a little polyester, but it’s not treated with any chemicals. You’ll find this layer under the cover of your Saatva Classic Mattress.
Best Budget Pick: Bear Original
$998 RRP for a Queen (that’s before you get a discount, which you definitely will). This is a price that will make you sit up and take notice. In your research you’ve probably heard that one of the first ways to tell a memory foam mattress has fiberglass in it is that it will be cheap. The Bear Original mattress is here to challenge that notion with prices under $1000.
- Price: Queen = $998 before discounts
- Materials: Tencel cover which is silky, breathable and usually found on higher end mattresses. 3 Internal foam layers. This is your standard memory foam mattress set-up. No bells and whistles at this price point, but a really decent mattress.
- Feel: Medium firmness, designed to appeal to most people. I’d say this one is a touch firmer than your average medium, but not hugely so.
- Trial Period: 120 Nights
- Warranty: Lifetime, which is amazing for a mattress in the under $1000 category
- Shipping: Free in Continental USA
- Best For: People with smaller budgets who don’t want to put up with fiberglass, average weight side/back/stomach sleepers. Lighter side sleepers and heavier stomach sleepers will want to look at something else.
What Does Bear Original Have Instead Of Fiberglass?
Bear clearly state on their website that they do not use fiberglass in any of their mattresses. Instead, they use Whispershield, which is a rayon fire barrier. We also saw rayon being used as a fire barrier in my all-round top choice, the AS3.
Best Amazon Pick: Tuft & Needle Original
- Pressure Relief - Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback, and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night.
- Support - The T&N Original Mattress is ideal for back and stomach sleepers. We complemented the T&N Adaptive foam with a base layer of supportive foam to prevent sinking into the mattress.
- Cool Sleeping - Our open-cell cooling technology foam works with the heat-conducting graphite and cooling gel-infused in our T&N Adaptive foam to wick away heat and moisture for a deep, restful sleep.
- Versatility - We designed our mattress to be compatible and complementary with most frames and foundations including: traditional frames, box springs, platform frames, slatted frames, bunky boards, and adjustable frames
- Questions - We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any of your hesitations, problems or questions
What Do Tuft & Needle Use Instead Of Fiberglass?
Tuft & Needle use a totally different fire barrier than other brands in their memory foam mattresses without fiberglass (the Original and the Mint): they use salt! Yes, you read that right, they use salt in the sock that encases the foams.
A lot of people seem to doubt that the Tuft & Needle Original mattress is actually fiberglass free, here’s a shot of them confirming over (and over) that yes, it is fiberglass free.
Tuft & Needle Original Memory Foam Mattress Specs
- 100 Night sleep trial
- Made in USA
- Medium firm feel will feel comfortable to most people
- Breathable cooling cover
- 2 foam layer construction, with graphite and cooling gel infused into the memory foam
Best Soft Mattress: Brentwood Oceano
If you’re anything like me and want your mattress to feel like a squishy delicious cloud, THIS. IS. IT! The Brentwood Oceano features a jaw-dropping 9 layers, including memory foam and micro coils to give it its unique cloud like feel. With a firmness rating of 4.5 out of 10 this is low enough to know it’s going to be amazingly soft, but still supportive where you need.
- Price: Queen = $1839 before discounts
- Materials: There are 9 epic layers here so I’ll give you the highlights. Tencel cover is silky and breathable. Memory foam for contouring squish. Microcoils for extra responsive cushioning (these are one of my favorite bed features)
- Feel: Soft. This is rated 4.5 out of 10 for firmess, where most “medium firm” mattresses are rated at 7. If you’re after a softer memory foam mattress that is fiberglass free, the Brentwood Oceano is exactly what you need.
- Trial Period: 365 Nights (yes, a year!)
- Warranty: 25 Years (only beaten by Saatva’s lifetime warranty)
- Shipping: Free in Continental USA
- Best For: People who like a soft mattress. All side sleepers, back and combo sleepers up to an average weight. If you are a heavier person I recommend you look at a firmer mattress.
What Does The Brentwood Oceano Have Instead Of Fiberglass?
On the Brentwood website they explicitly state that the Oceano mattress is fiberglass free. Instead, they use organic cotton and wool as the fire barrier.
Best Firm Mattress: Titan By Brooklyn Bedding
Designed with bigger bodies in mind, the Titan is a firm and strong mattress, just like the name suggests. Firm does not mean spartan though, this mattress has a lot of layers that work to keep you comfortable and supported. Whether you need a heavy duty mattress or you just really like a firm mattress, Titan is a great fiberglass free choice that isn’t even that expensive for how it’s built. You’ll get great value here.
- Price: Queen = $1249 before discounts
- Materials: There’s a lot going on, with 8 layers total so I’ll give you the highlights. The cover is made from glaciotex, a fabric designed to keep your body at the ideal sleeping tempuerature (88). 3 Types of foams to for comfort that’s firm and supportive. Pocket coil support core for strength, air flow, targeted support and reduced motion transfer.
- Feel: Firm. This mattress has been designed with larger people in mind so if you are of average or lower weight you will find it even firmer. It does what it says on the box basically, it’s a firm strong mattress.
- Trial Period: 120 Nights
- Warranty: 10 Years
- Shipping: Free
- Best For: Built specifically to provide firm support for larger bodies, this mattress will work well for anyone who wants a durable firm mattress. Side sleepers generally fare better on something softer for their shoulder so if you’re an exclusive side sleeper this is probably not the mattress for you.
What Does Titan Have Instead Of Fiberglass?
The Titan mattress uses Jones Fiber as its fire barrier. Jones Fiber is a hydrated silica material, and actually contains similar ingredients as your toothpaste you use every day!
Memory Foam Mattresses Without Fiberglass: Your Questions Answered
Do All Memory Foam Mattresses Have Fiberglass?
No. As you’ve read through this post, you have seen that mattress companies actually have a variety of fire barrier materials available to them to use instead of fiberglass.
Why Do Some Mattresses Have Fiberglass?
Mattresses are required to have a fire barrier under federal law. Fiberglass is an excellent fire barrier because it melts in on itself, extinguishing or at least hugely slowing down a mattress fire. This video shows how effective it is:
Why Is Fiberglass So Controversial? Do I Need To Worry About It?
Now you’ve seen that fiberglass makes an excellent fire barrier. So what’s the problem? The problem is if the fiberglass somehow gets out of the mattress. The small shard-like fibers can get all through your house, and they are impossible to clean up. It can also cause skin irritation and breathing difficulties.
If you have a mattress that contains fiberglass, don’t panic. If the fiberglass is contained within the mattress, you won’t have a problem. The issue is that people often remove mattress covers when they shouldn’t (for some unknown reason there can be a zip you’re not supposed to use, cue massive eyeroll).
You can also put a cover over the mattress. Mattresses with fiberglass in them are often cheap, which unfortunately means the cover fabric is also cheap. Many fiberglass incidents have happened because a mattress cover has ripped, exposing the fiberglass.
How To Spot A Mattress That Has Fiberglass In It:
This list is not definitive, but these points are red flags.
- The mattress was very cheap (under $700 for a Queen size or larger)
- The mattress is made in China (mattresses made in the USA are less likely to contain fiberglass as the fire barrier)
- The mattress has a cover with the instructions not to remove it (sometimes there will even be a zip)
A definitive way to tell is to look at the mattress label. You will see words to the effect of “xx% glass fiber”. You can also ask brands directly. If they are shady with their answer, you can assume there is fiberglass. I’ve found most brands are realizing it’s in their best interests to be up-front and honest about it.
What Is The Alternative To Fiberglass In Mattresses?
Here is a list of fire barriers I have heard of or come across in my fiberglass research:
- Rayon batting
- Thistle pulp
- Combination of wool and rayon
- Specific fibers such as Whispershield (a rayon fiber) or Jones Fiber (a silica fiber)
Memory Foam Mattresses Without Fiberglass: Summary
I hope you now feel confident in choosing the memory foam mattress that is right for you. Whether it’s the luxurious Saatva with extra spinal support and the lovely pillow top or the super strong Titan, I’ve found a great mattress for everyone.
Last update on 2023-12-11 at 02:27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API