The height difference for Saatva 11.5 vs 14.5 is because the coils inside the 14.5 have two extra turns, making it 3 inches taller. Otherwise, the componentry and feel of the mattress is the same, and there’s no price difference between the two. That’s literally the ONLY difference, the height of the coils in the core!
However, there are reasons why you’d choose one over the other, which I’ll take you through so you buy the right height with confidence. I’ve spent hours researching this mattress and have also discussed the difference between the 11.5 and 14.5 directly with Saatva, so I’m well placed to help you out.
– Adjustable Bases
– Sheets Without Deep Pockets
– People Wanting A Shorter Mattress
– Box Spring Or Platform Bases
– Sheets With Deep Pockets
– People Wanting A Luxury Height Mattress
BOTH models feature the same layer of memory foam, the same luxury double coil system, and are available in three firmness options. Saatva is NOT a mattress in a box and some extra luxury touches are free white glove delivery, a generous 180 night sleep trial (yep, that’s 6 months) and a 15 year warranty. Pure awesome.
What Saatva Recommend:
I asked Saatva customer service (very helpful and knowledgeable, by the way) if there were any other differences, and this is what they came back with:
The 11.5 is best for you if:
- You’re wanting to use the mattress with an adjustable base. Why? the 11.5 inch mattress will simply conform a little better to the base when you change the head/foot position.
- You’re worried about the size of your sheets. The 11.5 inch is more likely than the 14.5 inch to fit your standard sheets. The 14.5 inch mattress is getting into luxury mattress territory (the 14.5 is one of my favorite luxury mattresses) and may require deeper pocket sheets.
- You just don’t want a tall mattress.
The 14.5 is best for you if:
- You’re using a standard base, such as a platform or box spring. As I said above, the 11.5 inch is best on an adjustable base, but if you’re planning on using your new Saatva mattress on a flat base that does not move, the 14.5 inch will be a nice option for you.
- You want handles on your mattress. Only the 14.5 inch model has handles. However, please note that the handles are only for sliding the mattress into position. Both the 11.5 inch and the 14.5 inch models must be lifted from underneath if you’re moving it around.
- You just like the idea of a taller, luxury height mattress.
Which One I’d Choose
I like to finish my articles with a personal recommendation. I think I’m pretty good at choosing great bed stuff, so here’s my choice between Saatva 11.5 vs 14.5:
I’d go for the 14.5! This is because I have a lower platform style base in my own home, and I like the idea of a luxuriously tall mattress. I think the handles look really nice. That’s it!
As for which firmness to get, you’re spoilt with three options from Saatva. I’d go for the middle option, the luxury firm as this will have the most balance between softness AND support.