Brentwood Oceano Mattress (Their Top Seller)
The Brentwood Oceano Mattress is the top seller of the Brentwood Home range. Why is it so popular? Is there really anything that special about it? And is it the right mattress for you? Find out everything you need to know and the unique feature that makes this mattress different from other mattresses in boxes.
In this detailed Brentwood Oceano Mattress review you’ll find:
- Brentwood Home Overview
- Brentwood Oceano Mattress Features
- What Does It Feel Like To Lie On?
- Is The Oceano The Right Mattress For You?
- Why Is It Brentwood Home’s Top Seller?
- Are There Any Problems With This Mattress?
- What Are People Saying Who Love Their Oceano Mattress? (Reviews From Real People)
- Final Opinion
Brentwood Home Overview
Brentwood Home is on a mission to bring you “healthy, luxurious home essentials at honest prices, handcrafted just for you, made in California and shipped to your doorstep”. This has been their aim since they started more than 30 years ago, and has only grown stronger as they moved into the crowded online mattress market.
Their factory is based in California, and your mattress is made to order by staff who are paid a living wage. Alongside their eco friendly values, Brentwood has a reputation for great customer service and is up-front with the nitty-gritty details of their products (such as foam densities and pocket coil counts) that I’ve seen many other companies attempt to hide from savvy customers.
Brentwood Home is owned by Avocado, who make one of my all time favorite mattresses.
Brentwood Oceano Mattress Features
If you wanted to sum up the Brentwood Oceano Mattress in one sentence, you’d say it’s a hybrid mattress that contains memory foam, that comes in a box. It’s immediately visible that the mattress has a pillow top. While this is not uncommon to see from mattresses you’d buy in a store, it’s less common for a mattress in a box. Let’s take a detailed look at the construction of the whole mattress.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress stands 14 inches high, so it’s taller than your average mattress in a box.
It comes with:
- A one year sleep trial (yes, you can try it at home for 365 nights)
- A 25 year warranty
There’s a lot going on with the cover of this mattress:
- The “luxurious poly-silk fiber” is a breathable tencel and polyester blend. Tencel is a plant based fiber (from the Eucalyptus tree in this case) known to be breathable, moisture wicking and soft (some say it feels even softer than silk).
- The “needle punching” refers to the hand tufted buttons you’ll see on the cover, a luxury touch that helps anchor the cover to the layers below.
- The layer of organic wool is quilted into the cover so it won’t look as puffy as it does in the image above.
- The bottom of the cover – on the underside of the mattress – is made from organic cotton canvas, designed to help the mattress grip to whatever your foundation is.
The Comfort Layers (Inside the Pillow Top)
There are three components to the comfort layers of the Brentwood Oceano: a layer of micro pocket coils sandwiched between two different foam layers.
- A thick layer of gel infused memory foam combined with BioFoam. This is a foam that has been designed to draw heat away from the body and respond quickly to pressure. BioFoam is a light weight, durable foam made from a vegetable base. The density of this foam layer is 4lb/ft3, which means it strikes a good balance of comfortable responsiveness with durability. I think this is a high quality foam that Brentwood have used here.
- A layer of 2.5 inch high micro pocket coils. This is something I have not seen in other online mattresses, it’s really unique. The most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on actually had this feature. And that was a ultra luxe model from a bricks and mortar store that cost thousands of dollars, years ago.
- A thin layer of “air luxe” foam. This is a breathable foam that is basically there to act as a transition layer between the micro coils above and the larger support coils below.
The Support Core
There are two layers here:
- An 8 inch layer of pocket coils, with 5 targeted pressure zones. This means the coils will be firmer through certain areas (namely around the shoulders and hips) to ensure those pressure points where a lot of weight goes through the mattress are well supported. The coils around the edge of the mattress have been engineered to provide strong edge support.
- One inch of high density polyfoam, which is just there for the coils to sit on.
What Does It Feel Like To Lie On?
Brentwood rate this mattress as feeling “medium plush’. From what I can gather from people who have tried out the mattress and from the materials used inside the mattress, this translates to around a 7 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, which is on the firmer side of medium and a feel that is comfortable to a lot of people.
You should take note of this, because a lot of people seem to think this is a soft mattress. I point this out because the softness of the cover, the pillow top, and the gentle bounce given by the responsive foam and micro coils have given many people the impression this mattress is soft. This is a true medium firm mattress which offers great pressure relief and support.
The responsiveness of the foam combined with the micro coils in the comfort layer mean you won’t ever feel like you’re “stuck” in this mattress, and it will be easy to change positions as you sleep.
Is The Oceano The Right Mattress For You?
- You’re looking for a pillow top and that familiar coil feel
- You like a mattress that has a medium firm feel with a touch of luxury
- You like the idea of the micro coils in the comfort layer instead of an all foam comfort layer found in all other mattresses in boxes
- You’re looking for a well constructed mattress with a great warranty and trial period that won’t break the bank
- You are an average or higher weight side or combo sleeper
- You are a lighter weight stomach sleeper
Buy Something Else If:
- You are a heavy stomach sleeper – you’ll need something firmer ensure your hips are getting enough support. Try one of these instead.
- You’re a very light weight side sleeper – the firmness of this mattress may mean you won’t be able to get enough pressure relief for your shoulder. I recommend you research this mattress instead.
Why Is It Brentwood Home’s Top Seller?
Brentwood is a well established brand that is eco friendly and has great service. You could be happy spending money with them on any number of their items. What makes the Oceano mattress special? I think it is a combination of factors that makes the Oceano the top selling mattress for Brentwood Home.
- People are drawn to the pillow top design, which is made really obvious by the two tone color.
- It is a quality construction for a very reasonable price tag.
- It has a unique double coil system for both comfort and support.
- It’s a positive cycle: people clearly really like this mattress, so the more others hear about it, the more confidence they feel in buying it themselves.
Are There Any Problems With This Mattress?
I scoured all over the internet reading reviews wherever I could about this mattress. The only thing people really seemed to be complaining about was if they found the mattress too firm or too soft. Every single mattress out there gets these sorts of comments, and it really is up to your individual preference. Those that tended to be the most disappointed were those who bought this expecting it to be soft. Remember, with a Brentwood Home mattress you get a whole year to try it out at home.
One thing that I noted while doing my research on this mattress is a small issue I have with the warranty. The wording of the warranty says that Brentwood considers an indentation of 2 inches to be defective. I’d be happier if they drew the line at 1 inch or even 1.5 inch, I’d imagine that by the time the mattress had an indentation of 2 inches it would be feeling pretty uncomfortable. However, the materials are of high quality (and the use of micro coils instead of lower cost, low density foams will protect against sagging) and the warranty period is generous so I hope this wouldn’t be a problem, but it is something I felt needed to be mentioned.
What Are People Saying Who Love Their Oceano Mattress? Reviews From Real People
“I researched online mattresses a lot before buying this one, and I think the quality of this mattress far outweighs many of the others that cost a similar price”
“I love the feel of the springs paired with the comfy top”
“For me, this mattress is not too soft and not too firm; it’s just right”
“I’m a side sleeper and my husband is a back sleeper. We haven’t slept this well in years”
“I like a firm mattress, but not so firm it keeps me from sleeping on my side. The Oceano is just right for me. It also does a great job of keeping me cool: I used to wake up covered in sweat on my old memory foam mattress, but not anymore”
“I bought a more expensive mattress with similar features, but I ended up with back problems. Since I switched to the Oceano I’m getting better sleep and my back is getting better”
So am I happy to recommend you buy the Brentwood Oceano Mattress?
YES. I think it is great value for money. You’re getting a premium cover, high quality foam, uniqe coil support and zoning in the core. This is all backed up by a 25 year warranty and one year sleep trial so I think you’d be hard pressed to find something better for the same price.
Just keep in mind that this is a medium firm mattress and who I think will do well with it, and you’ve got yourself a great purchase.
Brentwood Oceano MattressFrom $995
- Unique design built to last
- High quality textiles, foams and coils used throughout
- Generous trial and warranty periods
- May take a few days to ship as it is made to order
- Not recommended for heavy stomach sleepers
- May be too firm for very light side sleepers