Zinus are by far the most popular mattress seller on Amazon, due to their innovative memory foam mattresses with highly attractive low price points. Zinus mattresses are sky high in the Amazon best seller rankings, outselling many of their competitors by thousands. In this Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress review, I’ll take you through the specifics of this popular mattress and compare it with the popular Zinus Green Tea mattress.
- Green Tea-infused Memory Foam With a Soft, Poly Jacquard Cover
- INSPIRED BY NATURE - Wholesome and natural ingredients, like green tea and moisture-absorbing charcoal work wonders in a mattress! And we’ve designed this one to control odors, maintain freshness, and envelop your shape so you awake restored and refreshed
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches airflow-enhancing comfort foam, and 5 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for stomach sleepers and petite to average-weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress do the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
Here’s what I’ll cover in this article:
- Zinus Overview
- Zinus Ultima Mattress Features
- Compare The Ultima With The Zinus Green Tea Mattress
- What Does A Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- Is It The Right Mattress For You?
- Are There Any Problems With The Zinus Ultima?
- Final Opinion
Zinus is a hugely popular manufacturer of a range of very low priced bedroom and living furniture. Their mattresses are particularly popular and are the item they are best known for.
Zinus was founded in Seoul, South Korea, by a businessman who started off selling tents. Zinus launched their first bedding products in 2004 and been innovating in the mattress space ever since. They have been well ahead of many of their competitors in selling mattresses in boxes, so their brand recognizability, innovations and price point contribute to their popularity. Zinus products are made in China.
Zinus Ultima Features
The Zinus Ultima is a budget priced mattress made from memory foam and poly foam. It is available in four heights: 6 inch, 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. Your Zinus mattress will come with
- 10 Year Warranty
- 30 Night Right Of Return (i.e., Amazon’s standard return policy. If you buy a mattress direct from the Zinus website, you can get a 100 night trial but this model is not available)
- CertiPur-US Certified Foams
Here’s what you’ll find inside the Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam mattress:
The cover is a soft polyester Jacquard. It is quite thin and should be reasonably breathable.
Please note that this cover is not removable. You should never remove this mattress cover.
Memory Foam Comfort Layer
This layer is the main comfort layer of the mattress. It is infused with green tea and charcoal. Why? Those two compounds help absorb moisture and odors, so they have been added to help keep the mattress feeling (and smelling) fresh.
This foam layer is all about providing pressure relief and contouring. It has that classic memory foam hugging feel.
According to reputable mattress information site Sleep Like The Dead, the density of the foam Zinus have used here is 3 lb/ft, which makes it a low density foam. This means the foam will be more breathable and softer than a higher density foam, but it will have a shorter life. I think a low density foam is to be 100% expected at this price point.
The amount of memory foam inside your mattress depends on which mattress height you buy, see the table below for a detailed breakdown of the specifications of each one.
Comfort Foam Transition Layer
This is a layer of polyfoam that has been ventilated to allow for airflow around the mattress.
It is not as soft as the memory foam above it, but it is softer than the high density base below. This foam layer acts as a transition layer between the softer foam above and the firmer foam below. It offers some further contouring, and some support.
In the table above you’ll see how deep this layer is in each mattress. Note that the six inch Ultima does not contain any of this transition foam, it only has the memory foam and the core foam.
Polyfoam Support Layer
The main support of the Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam mattress is a standard polyfoam at 1.8 lb/ft. This type of support foam is pretty common across many memory foam mattresses.
As you can see from the table above, there are varying amounts of this foam in each mattress height. The maximum is 6 inches, which I think is a little low and I’d prefer 7 inches for really good support.
Compare The Ultima With The Zinus Green Tea Mattress
- THE RIGHT COMBINATION - Our special recipe for rejuvenating rest? Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing ActivCharcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles your shape so you awake free of aches and pains and fresh as a daisy
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches soft, airflow enhancing comfort foam, and 7 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and petite to average weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Worry-free 10 year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
At first glance, there is little difference between the Zinus Ultima and the Zinus Green Tea mattresses. Both are wildly popular, low priced memory foam mattresses that have the green tea and charcoal infusions. But there are a couple of differences to point out.
- The Ultima could be described as “temperature neutral”, while the Green Tea could be described as “cooling. The difference here is that the memory foam of the Green Tea model has gel infused into the foam to help draw body heat away. The Green Tea also has convolutions in the two bottom layers of the mattress, which will allow for better airflow.
- However, I don’t think either of these mattresses will do an exceptional job at cooling, due to the conforming nature of the memory foam. The Green Tea does a better job here, but I wouldn’t buy it solely for its cooling properties.
- The Green Tea mattress also has a thicker support foam, for example in the 12 inch model the support foam is that 7 inches I like to see in foam mattresses.
In my opinion, the Green Tea is the better of the two, and it’s the one I would get if I was choosing between them. If you’d like to learn more detail about the Green Tea mattress click here to read my review.
What Does A Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
As this is a mattress that comes in a range of thicknesses, the feel of the mattress changes depending on which one you buy. The deeper the mattress, the softer it will get, as it has more to the comfort layers.
In my opinion, you could rate the 10-12 inch Ultima mattresses at around a 5-6 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale, which is about a medium soft. The thicker layers of comfort foams cushion the feel of the mattress.
In the 6 inch and 8 inch models where the memory foam layer is as thin as 1.5 inches, you can expect the mattress to feel firmer to lie on. I’d say these models are about a 7-8 on the mattress firmness scale, which is medium firm to firm.
The memory foam that Zinus uses has a slow pressure response, so you’ll feel that classic memory foam sink when you put weight on it. Some people love this, because it feels like the mattress is really cradling you and supporting your pressure points. IT’s also really great at motion isolation. Others dislike it because it makes them feel trapped when they move around in the night, or makes the mattress feel hot.
There are mixed reports from customers on if they felt the mattress slept hot or not.
Is It The Right Mattress For You?
This is definitely a mattress where there are groups of people who it will suit really well, and others where I would absolutely not recommend it. Here they are:
Yes if you are looking for:
- A cheap but comfy mattress that will do for a while
- A mattress that will be good for kids (many parents like this one because it doesn’t bust the bank, and because there are no springs, their kids don’t jump on it)
- A mattress that will do for occasional guests
- An everyday mattress for a lighter body weight adult (under 150 lb) – the 10-12 inch model would be great here, depending on how firm or soft you want it.
- A mattress for lighter weight side sleepers looking for deep pressure relief through the shoulder (the 12 inch model would be great for you)
No, buy something else if:
- Body weight over 200 lb. The memory foam is just not dense enough to give you the conforming comfort you deserve, and the support layer is not thick enough. Zinus recommends a maximum weight of 250 lb per person. I’ve got some better suited mattresses for you here.
- You’re concerned about sleeping hot. If you sleep really hot, and you’re looking at this for your everyday mattress, the bargain price of this mattress is just not going to outweigh the price you pay feeling uncomfortable. I suggest you look at these mattresses for hot sleepers instead.
- You want durability. This Zinus mattress might last for a couple of years, but if you want something with better durability I suggest you look for something else. Latex is the most durable mattress material, and you can buy a good one without breaking the bank.
Are There Any Problems With The Zinus Ultima?
There were two main reasons why people left one star reviews for their Zinus Ultima mattress:
- The off-gassing smell the mattress emits when expanded. Unfortunately, this is something that happens with all memory foam, it’s just part of the process of the foam expanding. Some people are more sensitive to the smell than others, and I recommend opening your mattress in a ventilated space if you can, and leave it for a day or two before you use it (Zinus actually recommend leaving a full 72 hours for the mattress to expand). Take comfort from the fact that the foams are CertiPur certified, so they are safe and the smell is not harmful.
- The fire shield (all mattresses must contain some kind of fire retardant under US law). There is a lot of talk about Zinus using fiberglass in their fire shield, and it leaking out of the mattress. I see people asking a lot of questions as to whether this is true or not on Amazon, and people seem confused in giving their answers. I put the question directly to Zinus, and here is the answer: “The fire barrier is a material made from quartz which is heated and formed into thread like and woven into the foam of the mattress”. So it’s a material like fiberglass, woven into the top of the foam. Zinus warn against removing the cover. Whatever you do, do not remove the cover from your mattress! People who heed this warning have no problems at all.
I also think durability is going to be an issue with this mattress, but is priced very cheaply so I wouldn’t expect to see denser foams in use, as they are more expensive.
Would I buy this mattress myself? The answer is that it depends on what I was wanting it for. If I were looking for a cheap option for my kids or a new mattress for our guest room, I’d strongly consider it.
If I were looking for a cheap mattress for my every day bed, I’d be more inclined to choose the Green Tea model or this mattress from Classic Brands.
The Zinus Ultima is a cheap mattress that is loved by many, and I can certainly see why it has gained its place at the top of the Amazon best seller list.
Last update on 2021-05-11 at 18:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API