Winkl Lux Mattress
- I've Been Sleeping On Winkl Lux For 18 Months Now, And I Won't Be Changing It
- Luxuriously Thick Comfort Foam Layers Infused With Cooling Tech
- Zoned Support Core You Can Really Feel
- High Quality Cover
- 120 Night Sleep Trial And Giant 15 Year Warranty
- Your Purchase Supports The National Kiwi Hatchery Aotearoa
I slept on Ecosa for a year. It was fine, a bit firm, but fine. I wanted something more plush without compromising on support. We sold it and bought Napp. Yes Napp is an absolutely fantastic mattress that I really love, but the Winkl Lux has some special features that mean it’s the mattress that I’ve chosen to keep on my bed and I’m not looking back after more than 6 months.
Let’s go through:
- What Winkl Lux has that other mattresses don’t
- A layer by layer explanation of the Winkl Lux
- My experiences of sleeping on the Winkl Lux for the past 4 months
- Why Winkl are a great brand to buy from
What Winkl Lux Has That Other Mattresses Don’t
Let’s just get it out of the way: the Winkl Lux is the most pricey of your memory foam mattress options here in New Zealand, by a few hundred dollars. But, it’s got some noteworthy extra features that make it more than worth it (and it’s still about half the price of that mattress you’ve got your eye on at Harvey Norman).
- The Winkl Lux is 30cm high, whereas the others are 25cm high. The 5cm extra height comes exclusively from thicker layers of the two premium comfort foams in the top of the mattress.
- The middle foam layer contains a charcoal infusion, the only one of its kind in NZ (this is marketed as a big luxury feature overseas). This helps with temperature control and minimises any odours that might find their way into a mattress.
- The cover is NIIICE. It’s marketed as a luxury cover, and I’m happy to confirm that it’s a beautiful, thick stretch knit with a good quality zip (zips on mattresses can be painful to use, not this one)
- The high density core of the mattress has zoning channels cut into it. This means targeted support for your pressure points: hips and shoulders while maintaining a neutral spine. The channels are cut deeper at those pressure points for that enhanced support
The Winkl Lux: Layer By Layer
So we’ve covered some of the features of the Winkl Lux mattress by highlighting its unique points, but here’s a layer by layer tour of the mattress (plus a picture of what it really looks like)
- Luxury cover
- Foam layer 1: Winkl-flex comfort foam (this is also the foam Winkl uses in their pillows)
- Foam layer 2: Charcoal infused memory foam
- Foam layer 3: zoned high density foam
- Total height = 30 cm
My 4 Months Of Sleeping On Winkl
At the time of writing, I’ve been sleeping on my Winkl Lux for four months and have absolutely no intention of changing that any time soon. Right from the moment we unboxed the Winkl Lux, it’s been nothing but awesome.
You can see from this unboxing video that even if you fluff around like us, it will only take a few minutes to get your Winkl mattress set up, and it’s ready to use straight away. It had pretty much zero off gassing smell (a “new” smell many memory foam mattresses give off as they expand to full height) which was a pleasant surprise.
My husband had been sceptical about trying out Winkl as he was comfortable on our Napp mattress (and he is like the princess and the pea with beds). However, after sleeping on it for just a few nights, he couldn’t shut up about how comfortable he was finding Winkl and how surprised he was.
In terms of firmness, I think Winkl have got it exactly right. I like to sleep on my side and back, and I find the Winkl Lux has a good amount of contouring for my shoulder when I lie on my side but without that stuck in the mud feel you get from brands like Tempur. I can especially feel the zoning in the core working when I lie on my back.
I’m also really liking the extra 5cm of height the Winkl Lux mattress has. I can see why taller mattresses are called “luxury mattresses” because it really does feel luxurious to lie on.
Why Winkl Is A Great Brand To Buy From
First and foremost, Winkl is a small New Zealand business. There’s nothing that feels better than supporting local, especially during these times. However, there are lots of other good reasons why you’ll love being a Winkl customer:
- Winkl is a brand with heart and social conscience. Simon, the founder of Winkl, tells me one of the things he’s most proud of with Winkl is that they’re able to create local jobs. The more they grow, the more they create. Winkl also supports a variety of causes, with one of their mainstays being the National Kiwi Hatchery Aotearoa (you’ll help Kiwi chicks when you buy your mattress, so cool). They’ve also run sales to support other causes such as Dress For Success on International Women’s Day.
- Winkl’s customer service is unbeatable. Winkl have super fast shipping (as long as their mattresses are in stock, they’re so popular they often sell out) and use great freight companies. When my Winkl was delivered, I even got a phone call to check I’d be home to receive the delivery: they were the only ones from all the mattresses we’ve tested to do this. They’re also super responsive to customer queries and issues and are one of the few NZ brands offering a live chat service on their website.
- Winkl have a total bedding solution for you. If you want to upgrade your whole bed when you upgrade your mattress, Winkl have got you covered with pillows and bed bases, too. I also use the Winkl pillow as I think it’s one of the best memory foam pillows available in NZ. The bed base is brand new for Winkl, and is custom designed for memory foam mattresses. It’s got a flat base with ventilation holes, and is going to do a much better job of supporting your mattress than slats (if you’ve seen any of my videos, you’ll notice I’ve shored up my own slat base with plywood as the flat surface works best for memory foam).
- I’m not the only one who loves the Winkl Lux. Winkl has racked up an impressive number of happy sleepers, and the Lux has a massive star rating of 4.78 out of 5 (at the time of writing) from thousands of happy kiwis who are now sleeping better with Winkl.
So what are you waiting for? Head over to the Winkl website and snap up your Winkl Lux mattress before they sell out (again)