Mattress Topper Info – Facts You Need To Know
Mattress Toppers can be a great addition to your bed. Whether you’re looking to soften your mattress, firm up your mattress, change the pressure relieving properties, or add a cooling layer; a mattress topper can do it all. There are so many different types of mattress toppers out there that it can be difficult to pin point the one that fits your needs best. In this mattress topper info explainer I answer all your mattress topper FAQs and give you my best mattress topper recommendations.
Which Type Of Mattress Topper Is Best?
This depends on you, and what you want it for. Here are some scenarios and my recommendations (actual mattress topper recommendations are at the end of the article)
- Mattress feels too firm: choose a soft topper of any material.
- Mattress sleeps too hot: choose a topper made from cooling materials such as natural latex or gel infused memory foam.
- Current mattress does not cradle pressure points adequately: choose gel memory foam (the memory foam will support your pressure points, the gel will stop the memory foam from trapping heat), probably go for a soft feeling gel memory foam topper.
- Mattress feels too soft: choose a firm mattress topper. These are less common than soft mattress toppers, but you still have some good options. Before purchasing a firm topper, I strongly recommend you check your bed foundations and your mattress. If either of these has sagged and lost support, you’d be better off replacing them instead of buying a mattress topper.
What Mattress Topper Do Hotels Use?
Hotels will often use a memory foam mattress topper. This is because memory foam gives great pressure relief, and the gentle cradling of your body weight that a topper can provide can really feel like a touch of luxury.
Another option favored by luxury hotels is soft and luxurious mattress pads. Mattress pads are different to toppers in that they do not change the feel of a mattress, but add a touch of softness and protection. High loft mattress pads with soft-to-touch covers are popular.
What Thickness Mattress Topper Should I Get?
This depends on what you want from the topper. Toppers usually come in 1-4 inch heights, with 2 and 3 inches being the most popular.
If you are looking to add a nice layer of pressure relieving foam to transform the feel of your mattress, I would recommend 3 inches.
If you are looking to slightly change the feel of your mattress, or your priority is to add the topper as a cooling layer, then you will find 2 inches is enough.
In my opinion, 1 inch is quite thin and I would recommend 2 or 3 inches. I need a mattress topper for my own bed (it’s too firm) and am currently investigating buying a 2 inch mattress topper made of conforming, gel infused memory foam to change the feel enough for my needs.
I also think that 4 inches is quite thick, and may be more than you need unless you’re really looking to add extra depth and a really cocooning cradling layer.
Are Mattress Toppers Worth The Money?
Yes. A good mattress topper can extend the life of your mattress and radically improve your comfort levels. Since sleep is so critical for good health, it’s hard to put a price on!
It’s important that you think carefully about exactly what you want the topper to do, so you can choose one that does everything you want. This will help you get the best return on your money.
However, if your mattress is very old with no support, or your mattress foundation has worn out (old box springs are big culprits for sagging beds), buying a mattress topper will not increase the comfort of your bed. In this scenario, you’ll need to spend your money on fixing what’s broken instead of adding a topper.
Does A Mattress Topper Really Help?
By now, the answer should be clear that yes, mattress toppers really do help. I’ve heard from countless readers that adding a topper to their bed has totally changed their sleep for the better.
The most common scenarios where people find a mattress topper helps are where people are looking to add a layer of softness to their mattress, or to add a layer of cooling material on top of their mattress.
Which Is Better, Memory Foam Or Gel Foam?
In my opinion gel foam is better. Gel foam is still memory foam, but it has been infused with cooling gel to vastly improve your sleep experience.
Traditional memory foams do a wonderful job of offering pressure relief and comfort, but they can also trap heat. When a memory foam is infused with gel beads or swirls, it takes it from a standard heat trapping foam to a foam that can draw heat away from you and out of the bed.
I think gel foam is a big improvement on standard memory foams and you’ll find that many quality mattress toppers are made from gel memory foam.
Can You Recommend Some Great Mattress Toppers?
Yes, sure. You can either scroll back up to the top of this article and check out some of my favorites there, or choose one of these:
- Best Latex Topper: Avocado Green. This topper is available in soft or firm and is made from organic latex (highly durable and breathable). It has a massive one year sleep trial too. Click here to learn more.
- Best Memory Foam Topper: Puffy. This is a memory foam topper with a cool touch cover and deep pockets to sit nicely on any mattress. Also available in soft or firm. It has a 101 night sleep trial and lifetime warranty, and is excellent value for money. Click here to learn more.
- Best Mattress Toppers On Amazon: You’ll enjoy reading this article if you want to see a range of toppers at different price points available on Amazon. From latex to wool to memory foam, there’s an Amazon option to suit anyone. Click here to learn more.