Avocado Mattress Topper Review. Please note, some of the links inside this post are affiliate links, which means if you click on one and purchase something, I will receive a small commission. This goes straight back into keeping the site awesome, and helps me continue to be a stay at home mom to my kids. I aim to provide reviews that are unbiased and based on the opinions of real people using the products; I’ll never direct you towards buying something I don’t think you’ll love! Thank you so much for supporting bestmattressforyou.
Avocado Mattress Topper Review: Worthy Of The Premium Price Tag?
Looking for a new mattress topper? If you are looking for a really luxurious, environmentally friendly, hand crafted topper with options to purchase in plush or firm, this Avocado Mattress Topper review is for you.
Renowned for their signature Avocado Green Mattress, the topper is made from the same materials you’ll find in the mattress (minus the coils, of course). This topper is a premium product, with a premium price tag. I’ll explain the details and reasons for the price later in the review.
Materials: organic cotton, organic wool, natural latex
Warranty: 10 years
Sleep trial: 100 nights, free shipping and returns
In this Avocado Mattress Topper review, I’ll take you through everything you need to know about it. Click on any section below to go straight to that information.
- Do You Need a Mattress Topper?
- Materials and Construction of the Avocado Mattress Topper
- Pros and Cons
- Why is it so Expensive?
- Where To Buy
Do You Need A Mattress Topper?
There are several reasons why you might be looking at a new mattress topper. They are all about how you can make your current bed more comfortable without having to purchase a whole new mattress. The Avocado Mattress Topper is made from durable latex and has a 10 year warranty, so it will probably out perform any older mattress you choose to put it on.
Perhaps your current mattress is feeling too firm? If this is the case, you can add a topper to your bed to soften the feel of it. We recently bought a new mattress ourselves: it is quite firm but we like it. Part of our recycling of our old mattress was to keep the pillowtop materials from our old mattress in case we want to try it with our very own, homemade topper! So if you want a topper without actually buying one, I’ve just given you a tip.
Does your current mattress feel too soft? This issue is not as easily fixed with a topper, as if the mattress feels saggy it could be that the mattress is either done for, or is not on a supportive enough platform. However, if you have an adequate support under a good mattress and it still feels too soft, adding a firmer feeling topper to your bed can help.
Do you and your partner have totally different sleep preferences? If one of you likes a firmer sleeping surface and the other likes a soft one, it can be tricky to find a mattress that suits both needs. If you and your partner are currently struggling with the comfort of your current mattress or unable to decide what to pick in a new one, adding a topper to one side for one person can help.
Materials and Construction of the Avocado Mattress Topper
The Cover: organic cotton. The bottom of the cover is made from organic cotton canvas, a clever design feature that helps your topper grip to the mattress below it. The cover has a hand stitched green tape edging.
Directly beneath the cover you will find a layer of organic wool. I really like this part, because the wool is from New Zealand, like me! You should become a fan of wool too: it’s naturally temperature regulating, hypoallergenic and acts as a fire barrier (wool will char easily, but it doesn’t really ignite that well)
The Comfort Layer: this is the showstopping two inches of natural Dunlop latex. If you’re unsure what “Dunlop” means, I’ve explained all about the two types of latex, Dunlop and Talalay, here. If you want the quick version, I’d consider Dunlop to be the preferred and more durable latex manufacturing method, so I think the latex inside this topper is the best you’ll find.
The latex is sustainably sourced and contains no chemical additives. Latex is a unique and wonderful mattress material because it is very responsive (which means great pressure relief and body support and has a bit of bounce), is cool to lie on, is extremely durable and hypoallergenic.
There are virtually no drawbacks to sleeping on latex, it’s my favorite mattress material. The responsiveness and the way it supports your body as you sleep does feel rather different to a traditional spring mattress or memory foam mattress, so if you decide to buy this latex topper, be prepared for an adjustment period as you get used to the new feel.
Buying options: You have two options when you buy the Avocado Mattress Topper, to suit your preference of firmness. They are both the same price.
- Plush: this is the soft topper. It is made from less dense latex.
- Firm: this is (obviously) the firm topper. It is made from more dense latex.
You also have the option to purchase the Avocado Vegan Mattress Topper, which has all the same construction and materials except it does not contain any wool. Click here to see the vegan topper option.
If you like the sound of the materials that Avocado use in the manufacture of their products, you may also enjoy reading my thorough review of their signature mattress, the Avocado Green. Click here to read the full article.
Pros And Cons
- All organic or natural materials
- Cooling feel
- High quality durable latex
- Good warranty and trial period
- Sustainably made product
- Slow shipping (Avocado products are made to order)
- Wool may have an initial smell (click to the vegan option above if this is a concern for you)
- Higher price
Why Is The Avocado Mattress Topper So Expensive?
With prices starting north of $300 for a twin size topper, the Avocado Mattress Topper is for buyers with deep pockets.
Why is it so expensive? I believe there are several reasons. Let’s take a look at each, so you can decide for yourself if this mattress topper is worth your precious money instead of one of the cheaper competitors.
- It is handmade in California. Hand crafting takes time, and it shows in the quality of the product you get. Even people who do not like Avocado products after testing them (and leave one star reviews) often can’t help but comment on the great quality.
- It is more expensive to make products in the United States than to take production offshore, to China for example. With a product made in the United States you can have more confidence in the transparency of the manufacturing process, and a smaller environmental footprint.
- It contains two inches of high quality natural latex. As I mentioned earlier in this review, natural latex is one of the most premium, durable, and hypoallergenic materials you could hope to find in any mattress or mattress topper. It is also one of the more expensive materials. Any item containing this much high quality, natural latex is going to cost more.
- It contains organic wool. Wool is another excellent material that does not come cheap. In fact, the only mattress toppers I have seen that are more expensive than the Avocado Mattress Topper are toppers that are made with 100% wool.
- It has a 10 year warranty an a 100 night sleep trial. This is standard for a mattress, but exceptional for a topper. What this really means for you is that it eliminates the risk of buying the wrong topper for your needs. If it’s not right for you, Avocado simply organizes a free return.
Where To Buy
I think that if you are in the market for an extremely high quality mattress topper, the Avocado Mattress Topper is a great choice. It is more expensive than other toppers, but the quality of the materials used and the workmanship that go into making each one is exceptional.
The Avocado Mattress Topper is available exclusively through Avocado’s online store.
Click the link below to get the best price for your Avocado Mattress Topper today!