Macoda Mattress – Get More Mattress For Your $$
Are you wanting to buy a mattress in a box but not sure if you want firmer or softer? Want to keep that coil support feel? Want to buy Australian owned? Then Macoda might be the mattress for you. With its hybrid design and flippable internal layers to adjust the firmness, it’s a bit of a crowd pleaser. Find all the Macoda mattress details inside this review.
Here’s what you’ll find inside this detailed Macoda mattress review:
- Macoda Company Overview
- Macoda Mattress Features
- What Does A Macoda Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- Is Macoda The Right Mattress For You?
- Are There Any Problems With Macoda Mattresses?
- What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? (Reviews From Real People)
- Final Opinion
Macoda Company Overview
Macoda is an Australian owned company who launched their products in 2018. They specialize in their one “bed-in-a-box’ mattress, the Macoda Mattress, and a memory foam pillow.
Macoda products are made in China – as are many mattresses in boxes in the Australian market.
You’ll note in the review box below that I’ve scored them slightly low in customer service. This is not because they’re unhelpful (they’re very helpful, and by all accounts great with returns), but because they don’t turn their live chat off outside of office hours. I believe Macoda is based in Perth so the time lag with their work hours can be frustrating if you hop on expecting to chat to someone straight away.
Macoda Mattress Features
Macoda is a hybrid mattress with four internal layers. It has a total height of 29 cm with a generous 8 cm in total of latex and memory foam, which is really quite exceptional for the price. I thought Noa (which is a similar mattress) was generous with 6 cm, but Macoda has more.
The other exceptional features of Macoda are that you can flip the comfort foams to change the feel of the mattress (great if you’re not sure how firm you’d like) and the zoning in the coils, which is often reserved for “luxury” mattresses.
- Cover: The cover has two components. The top is bamboo, which will feel really soft and breathable. The bottom half of the cover (the blue bit) is a polyester knit. By all accounts, the cover is a really nice quality that feels nice to touch.
- 3 Cm of latex: Latex is considered the most durable and thermoregulating mattress material, so it’s great to see a generous 3 cm of it here. Latex is a very fast responding foam: it offers pressure relief with no sinkage and has a bit of bounce to it. Have this layer at the top for a medium feel with springy resilience. The memory foam below it will provide beautiful cushioning support.
- 5 Cm of gel infused memory foam: This is the other comfort layer of the mattress. The gel infusion helps draw body heat away, and the memory foam offers deeper contouring for further pressure relief. If you want a softer feeling mattress, you flip this layer to the top for a spongier feel while the latex works below it to stop you sinking too far.
- 18 Cm of individually wrapped pocket coils arranged in 5 zones: This is the main support core of the mattress. Individually wrapped coils offer good motion isolation, are quiet, and offer targeted support. The coils inside Macoda have been zoned for even more laser targeted support as you sleep. See the image below of what the zones look like
- 3 Cm of high density support foam: This is the landing pad for the coils, and is there to support them and provide extra durability.
Macoda Mattress Prices
Macoda Mattress prices are similar to other mattress in a box brands. As with all of these companies, there is always a deal or special running. My links will take you to the best deal on whatever day you visit the site. If you go to purchase your Macoda mattress and you don’t see any special, please let me know!
- Single (188cm x 92cm x 29cm): $750
- King Single (203cm x 107cm x 29cm): $850
- Double (188cm x 138cm x 29cm): $950
- Queen (203cm x 153cm x 29cm): $1,100
- King (203cm x 183cm x 29cm): $1,200
What Does A Macoda Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
As mentioned above, you can flip your Macoda mattress around to change the firmness.
One setting is medium, or around a 6-6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. This is with the latex foam layer closest to the top, which is how Macoda comes set up. With the latex layer at the top the mattress will also feel quite responsive to your body weight and more bouncy.
If you flip the comfort layers over and have the gel infused memory foam layer at the top, the firmness level softens to around a 5 out of 10. You’ll also feel the contouring of the memory foam more directly, with less bounce.
Whichever way you set your Macoda mattress up, you won’t sleep hot because latex is naturally cooling and the gel infusions in the memory foam will work to keep you cool.
No matter how you like your mattress to feel through the top, the zoned support coils should offer good support for your spine.
Other reviewers have awarded this mattress the crown of “most comfortable mattress in Australia” and it’s hard to disagree with them considering the firmness options, and materials found inside.
Is Macoda The Right Mattress For You?
Macoda has created a mattress they hope will suit everyone. In my opinion, it will certainly work very well for most people, but perhaps not quite everyone.
You’ll Like Macoda If:
- You’re a light to average body weight. Macoda will be soft enough to allow even very light people to get good pressure relief, yet supportive enough for those up to around 120 kg to feel comfortable too.
- You’re a side sleeper. The medium to soft feel of Macoda will feel amazing for pressure relief through your shoulder.
- You can’t decide what firmness you want. Macoda has two options for you to try out, and with your 100 night sleep trial you’ve got a ton of time to switch them around and experiment.
- You get hot as you sleep. Macoda is packed with layers of materials that will work hard to keep you cool and air circulating out of your mattress through the night.
- You want a deeper mattress than your average mattress in a box (Macoda is 29 cm vs approx 25 cm for other brands) and lots of comfort foams
Buy Something Else If:
- You like to sleep on your stomach. Unless you’re a light body weight, the Macoda won’t be firm enough to support your hips, which can dip through the night when you lie on your stomach. Look at Ecosa instead.
- You want to buy something made in Australia. Macoda is Australian owned, but made in China. If supporting local is a big priority for you, the all foam Hugo mattress is the way to go.
Are There Any Problems With Macoda Mattresses?
People generally had great things to say about Macoda. It’s clearly a popular mattress which people love! However, it’s always important to let you know if there are any negative comments that keep coming up about a mattress. Here’s what I found for Macoda:
- Some people complained it felt a bit softer than they’d like. I’m not surprised by this, given the firmest you can set your Macoda is medium. I’ve listed above who the mattress should suit, but like I said earlier, I don’t think it’s for everyone. If you want something similar that has a slightly firmer feel, Noa might be a good choice, or the all foam Ecosa is an even firmer option for you.
- There were some comments about the off-gassing. This is a natural smell that all foam-containing mattresses release as the foams come up to their full size. Generally, the longer they’ve sat in their box (i.e. if made overseas), the stronger the smell. These mattresses all carry certifications to assure you the odour is not harmful, but it can be disconcerting. My best advice if this worries you is to open it in a ventilated space and leave it for a day or two. This will allow the smell to dissipate.
What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? Reviews From Real People
The vast majority of people who bought a Macoda mattress are really enjoying sleeping on it. They agree that it has a medium feel, is great value for money, and does not retain heat.
” This mattress is not too firm or too soft. Great for back and side sleepers, and you don’t feel like you’re going to roll into the middle.”
“The mattress is well designed and seems to be quality materials. The flippable design is very convenient and results in a plush, comfy feel which is also supportive thanks to the pocket spring base layer.”
“I decided to try the Macoda hybrid after a not so great experience with an all foam mattress in a box. I put it on the soft setting and I’m sleeping great.”
“Some of my friends own other brands of mattresses in boxes. I’d tried them out but didn’t like them. I read about Macoda and decided to give it a shot: I had nothing to lose with the 100 night trial anyway. It’s an amazing mattress for the price and I’m now getting nights of undisturbed sleep.”
Macoda packs a lot of features into their mattress. For a price where some companies are only giving you a few cm of comfort foams and a polyfoam base, Macoda is giving you generous amounts of foams, two firmness levels and zoned support coils. I can see why it gets voted as one of the most comfortable mattresses around and think it represents great value for money. With the 100 night sleep trial you’ve got nothing to lose by giving it a try.