Layla Foam Mattress Review 2019. Please note, some of the links inside this post are affiliate links, which means if you click on one and purchase something, I will receive a small commission. This goes straight back into keeping the site awesome, and helps me continue to be a stay at home mom to my kids. I aim to provide reviews that are unbiased and based on the opinions of real people using the products; I’ll never direct you towards buying something I don’t think you’ll love! Thank you so much for supporting bestmattressforyou.
Layla Foam Mattress Review
Of the hundreds or thousands of online mattresses available, the Layla mattress has a few cool features that should make you sit up and take notice.
These include a soft side AND a firm side, a lifelong warranty, and copper infused gel memory foam gel. Sounds great, right? The answer is a little bit complicated. This mattress could either be your absolute dream mattress or a total nightmare. In this Layla foam mattress review, I’ve done all the technical research and read all the reviews from real people to get you the low down on exactly who this mattress is suited to, and who should avoid it.
Click on any link below to go straight to that section of the article:
- Technical info
- Who is the mattress best suited to?
- Pros and cons
- How to use
- Any problems?
- Real comments from customers who love their Layla mattress
- My personal opinion
- Best place to buy
The Layla mattress is a total height of 10.5 inches. It is manufactured in Phoenix, Arizona.
Its has two points of difference from the other hundreds (thousands?) of online mattresses:
- Copper gel infused memory foam. The copper is there to draw excess heat away from your body as you sleep, keeping your body temperature nice and comfy. Copper is also a natural antimicrobial element, so it helps keep your mattress clean
- Flippable, with a soft side and a firm side
- The soft side of the mattress has a rating of 4 out of 10 for firmness
- The firm side of the mattress has a rating of 7 out of 10 for firmness
The cover of the Layla mattress is quite beautiful, and has garnered many positive comments. The cover is infused with “thermogel”, which is another material designed to help keep you cool (rising body temperature activates the gel inside the cover, which helps to dissipate heat). The soft side of the mattress has the light color cover. The firm side of the mattress has the dark color cover.
Underneath the cover you will find (if we dissect the mattress with the soft side facing up):
- 3 inches of copper gel infused memory foam (density: 3.5 pounds = low density foam)
- 2 inches of convoluted foam for air circulation (this is also known as a “transitional” layer, providing a crossing point for the comfort and the support foams)
- 4.5 inches of support foam (density: 2 pounds = low density foam)
- 1 inch of copper gel infused memory foam
Layla therefore works best if you use the soft side. If you sleep on the firm side, you only have 1 inch of comfort foam. I’d recommend you go for at least 3 inches of comfort foam, even if you are looking for a firm mattress. That makes this mattress really only good for those looking for a soft mattress. Another hint that even Layla expects you to use the soft side is the placing of transitional foam underneath the soft side comfort layer only.
You can see that the foams used in this mattress are of lower density. Lower density foams are cheaper, which is why you are able (at the time of writing) to get yourself a king size layla mattress for under $1000. You will read more about the pros and cons of lower density foam later in the article.
Sleep trial and warranty
- Trial = 120 nights. I recommend you take at least 30 nights to try out a new mattress, so you’ve got more than enough time to give both sides of your Layla mattress a try, should you want to
- If you decide the Layla is not for you within the trial period, they will ask for the mattress to be donated to a person in need and picked up from you by a local charity. Your Layla will be picked up as is, so there’s no need to save the box or repackage the mattress.
- I read several 5 star reviews people left for Layla purely based on how well they handled the return when the customer decided not to keep the mattress. It’s important you can feel like you trust where you’re buying from and that the return of such a bulky item would be hassle free.
- Warranty = lifetime. There are only a few other mattress companies with such a generous warranty period. Further to this, the Layla warranty covers mattress sagging of one inch. This is fantastic to see, as many competitors will only replace or repair the mattress at 1.5 inches, which I think is quite a lot.
Shipping: free within the contiguous United States. Your Layla will be made to order then dispatched 2-3 business days after your order was placed. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, you’ll have to pay $125 in shipping. Layla will ship to Canada for $225.
Who is the mattress best suited to?
You should love this mattress if:
- You are light to average in weight. I suggest this mattress is best suited to those weighing 200lb or under
- You are a side sleeper. The soft side of this mattress combined with the firm support core should give you the pressure relief but soft surface you need to comfortably sleep on your shoulder
- You like a soft feeling mattress
- You want a memory foam mattress with a quick response to body weight
Buy something else if:
- You sleep on your stomach. You need a firmer mattress to ensure you are adequately supported through the hips, where most of your weight goes while you sleep. Something like the Avocado hybrid mattress could work better for you
- You weigh more than 200lb. I do not think this mattress has enough support for you. You need a firm mattress that has at least 3 inches of comfort layer. Sadly the Layla only has one inch of comfort layer on its firm side. I’ve written a post with some much better choices for you. You can read it here
- You want a slower “sink” and “hug” feeling from your memory foam. Read my review of the Nectar mattress instead
- If you are looking for a mattress to help you with back pain, Layla probably isn’t supportive enough. A better memory foam option for you would be Snuggle-Pedic, which you can read about here
Pros and cons
- Made in the USA
- Generous trial and warranty
- Two sides allow you to try different firmness levels
- Innovative copper technology for temperature regulation
- Thin comfort layer on firm side
- Not recommended for heavier people
As mentioned above in the technical section, the Layla mattress contains low density foam. This can be a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it. I recommend you have a read of this information from renowned mattress research site Sleep Like The Dead to get the lowdown on how low density foam performs compared to medium or high density foams.
To sum it up in a few short words for you, low density foam is:
- Quicker to break in
- Less likely to have strong off gassing smells
- Great for lighter people
- Cooler sleeping
- Less durable than a heavier density foam (you can take about a year of the mattress life expectancy)
- Not as great for back pain as firmer memory foam
How to use your Layla mattress
Here are some bonus tips to help you get the most out of your Layla mattress. These tips are either from the Layla website or gems of information I found from scouring through Amazon customer questions and answers.
- Layla recommends you place your new mattress on a slat base (with slats no more than 3 inches apart) with non flexible slats to best support the mattress
- If you intend on putting this (or any) mattress on an old boxspring that has lost its spring, you can expect the mattress to sag in the middle
- Allow yourself at least two weeks of sleeping on your new Layla mattress to break it in. It is only after sleeping on a mattress for a period of time that its true feel will come through, so give the mattress a good try. It can actually take up to 30 days to know for sure. I know it took me 30 days to get used to my new mattress that I bought in January
- Rotate your Layla mattress once per month for even wear. I usually recommend mattress rotations every 3 months unless the maker says otherwise, and here Layla have advised once per month
- The cover, with its soft feel and thermogel, should be dry cleaned to retain its feel (if you need to clean it at all)
- You won’t need to wait 24-48 hours to sleep on your Layla unlike some of its competitors recommend, it will be ready within minutes after you unpackage it. Super quick
As with any mattress, there were the usual comments of people finding that it did not feel comfortable for them: for example it was too soft or too hard. This is why it is so important you take full advantage of sleep trials, to determine if a mattress really is the right fit for YOU. It’s great that Layla offers you longer than most with 120 nights, as it gives you ample time to test out both sides of the mattress.
It should be noted that some of the people who found it too soft were heavier people, who felt the mattress “bottomed out” on them. This basically means they felt like their body sank straight through the comfort layer and hit the support foam (which you shouldn’t feel, it plays an important role in the mattress, but it’s NOT comfy to lie on directly!).
As I mentioned above, this mattress is not one I would recommend for heavier people, so it came as no surprise at all to read this feedback in the negative reviews.
Some people also mentioned this mattress has poor edge support. This is a common complaint with memory foam mattresses, which tend to perform poorly for edge support. As this mattress uses low density foam in the comfort layer I’m not surprised to hear this feedback either. If edge support is important to you, I’d suggest you check out a hybrid mattress such as the Avocado instead. I’ve written a detailed review of it you can read here.
Real comments from customers who love their Layla foam mattress
As I would have expected, lots of side sleepers seem to love the Layla mattress. To be completely honest, I’m actually surprised by the amount of people who love the firmer side too, as this is not what I would have expected given there is only one inch to the comfort layer on that side of the mattress. Here is what some happy customers had to say:
“This is great for me as a side sleeper with chronic shoulder pain”
“I used to wake up sweating with my old memory foam mattress, but not with Layla”
“We have been using this mattress for 9 months now and love it. No hip or shoulder pain”
“I love the soft side, it’s so easy on my pressure points”
“I like the feel of both sides, but we sleep on the firmer side because my husband prefers it. we sleep well and wake up well rested”
“I have slept on memory foam mattresses before and found them hot. I don’t have this problem with my Layla, the copper really seems to work”
Layla foam mattress review: my personal opinion
So you’ve come to the end of my Layla foam mattress review and want to know my opinion.
I think this is a great mattress for some people. It is definitely not for everyone. If you are a person who weighs less than around 200lb and you like to sleep on your side, the Layla mattress with its soft sided option is a great choice for you. The comfort layer is soft and thick enough to give you the pressure relief and support you need.
Many people enjoy the firm side of the Layla mattress too, and while it is made from great materials, I feel that the comfort layer on that side of the mattress is just too thin to highly recommend it. So great to see a mattress you can try to sides though, I’d just have liked to see that firm side have a bit more to the comfort layer. I’m guessing the fact it’s so thin is because most people buy this for the soft layer like I’d also recommend.
Best place to buy
The Layla Foam Mattress is available directly through the Layla website and is also sold on Amazon. Customers buying from either site get the full benefit of the 120 night sleep trial and the lifetime warranty, which is great. Not all mattress companies are so generous to their Amazon customers.
I think you need to check the prices on both websites, to see if one has a better deal than the other. All links within this post point to the Layla website because it was cheaper at the time of writing (May 2019) than Amazon (even though I would actually get a better commission if you bought it from Amazon).
Amazon prices can fluctuate and they do run deals, so check both to get the best price. I’ve made sure any links you click from this page will get you the best available price.