GhostBed Luxe Review: The GhostBed Luxe is the best selling mattress in the GhostBed range. Featuring advanced cooling technology and generous layers of comfort foams, I can see why it’s a popular choice for people.
Spoiler alert: you’ll have a hard time finding a foam mattress that can do a better job at cooling than this one.
Get all the info on the GhostBed Luxe (including my opinion on whether it lives up to the claim of being “the coolest bed in the world”) and if it’s the best mattress for you.
This GhostBed Luxe review covers:
- GhostBed Overview
- GhostBed Luxe Mattress Features
- Is It Really The Coolest Bed In The World?
- What Does The GhostBed Luxe Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? (Reviews From Real People)
GhostBed is a mattress brand owned by the Werner family, who have been in the business of creating innovative products to help people for five generations. The GhostBed brand is part of the Nature’s Sleep group, which was founded by the latest generation of Werners in 2001.
There are four mattresses in the GhostBed Range:
- GhostBed: an all foam mattress with a medium firm feel and a good choice for budget shoppers
- GhostBed Flex: a hybrid mattress (foam and pocket coil combo) with a medium firm feel
- GhostBed Luxe: an all foam mattress with a medium plush feel (slightly softer than the two above) and advanced cooling technology. The GhostBed Luxe is the mattress we’re focusing on in this article, and it’s my favorite of the Ghostbed range
- GhostBed 3D Matrix: a hybrid mattress with the softest feel of the GhostBed range and a special gel layer under the cover
Alongside their popular mattresses, GhostBed also sell sleep accessories and adjustable bed frames. You can get a good deal with an adjustable bed frame and GhostBed mattress package.
GhostBed Luxe Mattress Features
The GhostBed Luxe is 13 inches high and is an all foam mattress. There are three internal foam layers. Let’s take a closer look at exactly what it’s made up of:
- Cover: The cover of the GhostBed Luxe is made up of multiple layers quilted together and works hard to get you feeling comfy and cool before the mattress insides even do anything. Here’s what the cover is made up of:
- Ghost Ice Fabric: The surface of the cover has been infused with Ghost Ice technology, which is a phase change technology that draws body heat away from the mattress. It actually feels cool to the touch! The fabric also feels soft and smooth to the touch, and has a quilted appearance.
- Cooling Fiber: This is a fiber quilted into the cover to give the mattress some soft loft through the top. It’s one inch high.
- The final layer of the cover is one inch of gel infused memory foam, which has also been quilted into the cover. This means you start to get contouring and pressure relief from the instant you lie on the mattress.
- Ghost Ice Layer: The first foam layer of the GhostBed Luxe has been laminated with a layer of Ghost Ice (the same technology that’s woven into the cover). This is the thin dark blue layer you can see in the picture above. GhostBed is the only mattress brand I’ve seen applying technology like this to the inside of their mattress, not just the cover.
- Foam 1: 2 Inches of gel memory foam. This is there to relieve your pressure points and is the layer that contributes most to the contouring feel you expect from a memory foam mattress. This layer has been infused with gel to help further dissipate body heat.
- Foam 2: 2 Inches of GhostBounce foam. This is a proprietary foam designed by GhostBed. It’s made to behave like latex and memory foam, giving you the best of both. What does that mean? It means this foam is bouncy and fast responding to body weight (like latex) while still offering some conforming (like memory foam). It’s good to have a foam like this in the middle layer of the mattress because it allows the memory foam above to give you conforming and to sink in a bit, then this layer kicks in to keep you from getting stuck inside the mattress.
- Foam 3: 7.5 Inches of high density polyfoam for a durable base (nothing special to mention here)
- On the GhostBed website, you’ll see this mattress described as having 7 layers. Here’s how that works: 1. Top cover with Ghost Ice 2. Fiber layer of cover 3. Memory foam layer of cover 4. Ghost Ice laminate 5. First deep foam layer of gel memory foam 6. Second deep foam layer of GhostBounce foam 7. Core of high density polyfoam
You can see that for the total height of 13 inches, almost half of that is cooling and comfort materials, which is extremely generous compared to other brands at similar prices.
Is It Really The Coolest Bed In The World?
The GhostBed Luxe is an all foam mattress. All foam mattresses tend to have less air circulation than hybrid mattresses with coil bases, so I think it’s going to be pretty hard for GhostBed to beat a cooling hybrid to the title of “Coolest Bed In The World”. However, it could well be the most cooling all foam mattress. Here’s how GhostBed Luxe is working hard to keep you cool:
- Every single layer of the GhostBed Luxe (except the polyfoam core) has been designed with cooling in mind.
- The cover has 3 layers to it, each of which is a cooling material. You’ve got the Ghost Ice phase change fabric, the breathable cooling fiber, and the gel infused memory foam.
- Directly under the cover you’ve got a layer of Ghost Ice, laminated directly onto the foam. GhostBed is the only mattress I’ve seen using phase change technology like this inside their mattress.
- The first foam layer is gel infused: gel infusions in memory foams work to further draw body heat away and out of the mattress.
- The middle foam layer has been engineered to have some of the properties of latex, which is a naturally breathable and temperature regulating material.
I think GhostBed is going to do a pretty good job of keeping you at a comfortable temperature through the night. It’s got a lot of cooling materials, and some features you won’t find elsewhere. However, if you want a hybrid for more air circulation, I encourage you to read my review of the Brooklyn Aurora (click here): one of the best cooling hybrid mattresses.
What Does The GhostBed Luxe Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is rated by GhostBeds as “medium-plush”. From how I have seen this mattress perform and from analyzing reports from real users, I’m going to say that it is a medium, or around 6 out of 10 for firmness. This will be pretty much the perfect comfort level for most average weight sleepers.
When you lie on the GhostBed Luxe, you will first feel the softness and conforming from the top layers and memory foam. The bottom foam layers will stop you sinking too deeply in, and you will feel a good balance of support and contour.
By all accounts, the GhostBed also has pretty good edge support compared to other foam mattresses, which typically have weak edges. This means you’ll feel comfortable even sleeping right up on the edge of the GhostBed.
I think this mattress will feel comfortable for a wide range of people, especially:
- Average weight people (any sleeping position, but especially back and side)
- Light people (under 130lb) who sleep on their stomachs
- People wanting a mattress with that memory foam feel without the big sinking sensation
- People wanting a memory foam mattress but are concerned about sleeping hot
- Those looking for a foam mattress with decent edge support and low motion transfer
On the flip side, I think you’ll need to consider something else if:
- You’re a light person who sleeps on their side (I’d recommend you check out Puffy Royal instead, it’s a touch softer)
- You’re a heavy person – you may find you want something that’s more of a firm feel (I’ve written an article with the best memory foam options for you, read it here)
- You’re average weight or above and sleep on your stomach – this mattress may be a touch soft for your hips. You’ll want a mattress that’s rated at least a 7 out of 10. Avocado Green is a good option for you.
What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? Reviews From Real People
A massive 93% of GhostBed Luxe customers rate it 4 or 5 stars. That’s an extremely high satisfaction rating. What makes this even better is that GhostBed make it really easy to search reviews by all ratings: you can find the bad reviews easily. GhostBeds are not trying to hid anything. Here are some comments from happy real customers:
“The mattress and pillows are supreme quality. They feel very premium and worth the money.”
“I’m getting better sleep and am waking less often than I was before. I love how it doesn’t hold onto heat like my other mattress.”
“We sleep comfortably and cool. Temperature was the biggest reason for us to try this mattress and so far it’s been a cooler sleep.”
“I have no more night sweats and no more back pain. It’s amazing.”
“This mattress delivers on cooling and comfort. Out of all the mattresses out there, I’m glad I chose GhostBeds.”