Firm mattress topper NZ – I’m glad you’ve found this article, because the search for a firm mattress topper is certainly not as easy as the search for a soft one. Many people look for mattress toppers to add a plush feel to their bed, and options abound. Firm mattress toppers certainly have a use if your mattress feels too soft or is starting to sag a bit, but they’re really not easy to find.
I’ve searched the whole of NZ and have found one good option for you. Yes, one. There’s another option which I’ll also go through in this firm mattress topper NZ article, but it’s nowhere near as good as my top choice. Both are made from latex which is no surprise, this is a highly resilient and durable material making it the perfect solution for a firm mattress topper. Here’s your best option:
- High Density Natural Latex For Firm Support
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Free Shipping
Firm Mattress Topper NZ – All The Peacelily Details
Never heard of Peacelily? They’re an online mattress brand specializing in the best quality latex mattresses and toppers. They have a strong emphasis on customer care and keeping prices as low and transparent for their customers as possible (they’ve even been known to refund customers if they find a cheaper way to do things, these guys NEVER pass costs on to you if they can avoid it). It’s no surprise they’ve firmly established themselves as the best latex bedding brand in NZ and Australia with their quality products and customer focused attitude.
Because Peacelily sells their products exclusively online, you make some big savings when you buy their products. Unlike other latex mattress toppers, which can cost in excess of $1000, Peacelily firm mattress topper prices top out at $669. This is even more remarkable given that a firm mattress topper requires a higher density material (read: a higher volume of the best quality latex you can find) which makes it more expensive to make.
- Cover: Organic cotton (GOTS certified)
- Core: 5cm natural latex core (one of the only brands offering you a firm option) – Peacelily sources their latex from Sri Lanka, which is known for producing the best quality latex in the world
- Height: Overall height of 6cm
- Free shipping, usually dispatches in 1-2 days
- 100 Night sleep trial (if you don’t like it, you’ll get a refund within that time, no hidden fees), meaning you can try this topper in the comfort of your own home without any obligation to keep it if it doesn’t fit your expectations
- 10 Year warranty (this is LOOONG in the mattress topper space, where 3 -5 years is more the norm)
- Price range: $449 – $759
Not only does Peacelily offer you the best quality latex, they’re one of only two brands offering a firm mattress topper in NZ. They’re definitely the ONLY one that allows you to test their topper out in your own home for 100 nights, and they have the longest warranty. Peacelily was a very easy choice to show you as the best firm mattress topper in NZ.
Other Firm Topper Options In NZ
I scoured the internet, checking all the big shops, all the review sites and all those sites like themarket and apart from Peacelily, I could honestly only find one other firm mattress topper in the whole of NZ.
This is because:
- Memory foam topper options are generally engineered for softness and contouring, and this is exactly what I found with all memory foam toppers
- Wool, down, or bamboo toppers are definitely going to be soft
- The only real option for a firm topper is therefore latex, and of the latex mattress retailers we have here, I only found one offering a firm topper
Your Other Firm Mattress Topper Option Is: Natural Beds
Natural Beds is an Auckland based company and have a showroom in Oratia. If you want to view products in a store before you buy, this is the option for you. The owners of Natural Beds have been honing their skills making natural bedding products for nearly 40 years now, so their products are great quality.
- Cover: Cotton and bamboo
- Core: 5cm natural latex core (same amount of latex as Peacelily) – Peacelily sources their latex from Sri Lanka, which is known for producing the best quality latex in the world
- Height: Overall height of 6cm
- Shipping costs are extra
- One week sleep trial
- 5 Year warranty (this is longer than the 3ish years you’d expect on a softer topper, but not a match for Peacelily’s 10 years)
- Price range: $560 -$1060
As you can see, the Peacelily Firm topper offers infinitely better value for multiple reasons:
- Obviously it is cheaper ($449 – $759 vs $560 – $1060) – for the price of the Natural Beds topper you could almost pay for a whole new, good quality mattress.
- Peacelily is the only brand offering you a sleep trial for your new topper. A firm topper IS going to be a reasonable dollar investment so it’s absolutely crucial you have peace of mind with your purchase. Natural Beds do offer you a 7 day trial, but you really need at least 30 nights to get a true feel of how your new bed set up is working.
- The firm Peacelily topper comes with a 10 year warranty: double the 5 year warranty you’d get from Natural Beds
- Peacelily offer free shipping. This is kind of a big deal because when I put the king size topper in my cart from Natural Beds to test shipping costs to Christchurch (where I live), it came back at $77 which is a lot on top of your purchase price. This seems high, but a firm latex mattress topper is actually an incredibly heavy and bulky item to ship so free shipping is a HUGE bonus. If you live in Auckland, you can pick up a Natural Beds topper from their Oratia show room.
Firm Mattress Topper NZ – Your Questions Answered
Can You Make A Mattress More Firm With A Topper?
Yes you can: a firm mattress topper is one of the quickest and easiest ways to change the feel of your mattress, including making it firmer (with the right topper). If your mattress has good support but is just too soft for you, putting a firm topper on it can increase the firmness to a level that’s better for you.
Can A Mattress Topper Help A Sagging Mattress?
Yes it can. A topper will help provide a more even sleep surface, which will help you feel more supported. However, I want to warn you that if you’re buying a topper for mattress sagging, you may want to consider if your support base is actually strong enough or if you just need to get a new mattress because a topper may only be a temporary fix in this scenario.
How Do I Know If My Bed Is Too Soft?
You’ll feel it. Are you sleeping well? Do you feel like you sink into your mattress too much, or that it just doesn’t support you? Do you wake up with a sore back?
If you’re not sleeping well and you answer yes to any of those questions, the answer is probably yes, your bed is too soft.
Does Putting Plywood Under A Mattress Make It Firmer?
Yes it does. I do this on my own bed. I have a slat base and a heavy mattress can sag through the gaps between the slats if they’re too wide. Putting plywood is a cheap way to give your mattress a flatter base, which means more even support.
One note of caution: putting straight ply down won’t allow for any air circulation under your mattress, which can lead to mould issues. Drill some ventilation holes in it.
Do Mattress Toppers Work?
Yes they do. A good mattress topper can be a great investment that changes the comfort level of your bed for years to come without having to make the big investment of replacing other more expensive bed components like mattresses or bases.