Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
If you’re looking for a new mattress protector, you are probably finding it overwhelming trying to decide which has the best balance of waterproofing, breathability, and feel. There are a plethora of options for you on the market, which makes it really difficult to answer the question of which is the best waterproof mattress protector.
Fear not! I have spent hours reading reviews, good and bad, and identified what I believe to be the best waterproof mattress protector in the current market. Find out what makes it stand out below.
Overview of Waterproof Mattress Protectors
Mattress protectors are a bedding accessory that fit on your bed like a fitted sheet. They go on top of your mattress and under your sheets, creating a barrier between your mattress and your bedding.
Mattress protectors are commonly used to protect a mattress from spills and stains. This is critical because these are things that will void your mattress warranty.
A good mattress protector will also act as a barrier against bed bugs and bacteria, which is great news for allergy sufferers and anybody looking to extend the life of their mattress.
There are a huge range of mattress protectors out there. Common problems with the cheaper ones are:
- Polyester materials which may not be breathable (this is a massive waste if you’ve invested in a good quality mattress with breathable materials)
- Heavy waterproof layers that may feel crinkly or make scrunching noises
- Poor fit to your bed
- Heavy quilting which can change the feel of your bed
It is worth finding a mattress protector that does exactly what you need, without interfering with the feel of your bed. That is exactly what I have found for you.
What is the best Waterproof Mattress Protector?
The organic waterproof mattress protector by Brentwood Home is the best waterproof mattress protector. It is brand new to the Brentwood Home website, but has been sold by their sister brand Avocado for 2 years, and has a ton of happy users. I recommend you buy it from Brentwood because it’s cheaper even though it’s exactly the same as the one on the Avocado site.
Here’s What Makes It So Great:
- It is made of 95% organic cotton, which is highly breathable and moisture wicking
- The waterproof layer is a thin layer of polyurethane, which is known to be very safe for bedding
- This mattress protector has three layers, not just two like so many of its competitors. The waterproof polyurethane layer is sandwiched between two cotton layers, which makes this mattress protector even more breathable
- The organic cotton feels very soft to touch
- Despite having three layers, this mattress protector is thin and will not interfere with the feel of your mattress
- No crinkly noise from this mattress protector
- The 16 inch deep elasticated pockets mean it will fit most mattresses
- The breathability of this mattress protector mean as well as having superior airflow and temperature regulation, it also helps with dustmite and bacteria control
- Made in the USA, at Brentwood Home’s Los Angeles factory
I don’t think there is another mattress protector out there that can boast such thoughtful design and high quality materials. Further to that, Brentwood home will give you 100 nights to try it out at home, so it’s totally risk free for you to try. It also comes with a one year warranty.
Who is The Brentwood Home Organic Mattress Protector for?
This mattress protector is great for everyone – it is made from extremely safe materials, will fit most mattresses, and has accessible pricing.
It is a particularly great choice for those wanting something as natural and organic as possible, while still having highly functional waterproofing.
For those wanting the reassurance of buying a product made in the USA from a well established company with great customer service, you can feel reassured buying from Brentwood Home.
The only small negative is that the smallest size available is Twin, which means you cannot purchase this mattress protector for use in a crib or bassinette.
How does It work?
The outer layers of organic cotton act as absorptive and breathable layers. The benefit of having organic cotton on the top as well as on the bottom of the protector means you’re getting maximum breathability, as it’s effectively twice as breathable as a protector with only two layers.
The thin polyurethane layer in the middle of the protector repels liquid, which is then wicked away by the cotton layer. The polyurethane is what makes the protector waterproof.
The fitted elastic skirt (which is also organic cotton), ensures a good fit on most mattresses.
You can spot clean, or wash your Brentwood Home mattress protector in your washing machine (eco friendly detergent is recommended) and you can either air dry it or tumble dry on a low heat.
My Brentwood Home Organic Mattress Protector review
After scouring the internet in search of the best waterproof mattress protector, it was a relief to find this one to recommend to you.
Yes, there are cheaper options out there, some with a longer warranty. But I did not find a single one that had the same quality of materials and functionality of this mattress protector. So many of the others that held promise at first glance at major flaws that let them down, such as making crinkly noises, not being breathable, or changing the feel of the bed.
People who are already using this mattress protector back up all the claims, stating they’ve had multiple spills and it has performed perfectly, it feels like it isn’t even there, and it is soft to touch.
If Brentwood Home shipped to New Zealand, I’d be buying one in a heartbeat.