The Pure Green latex mattress by Sleep On Latex ticks so many boxes. It’s made of natural latex, it has organic cotton and wool in the cover, and it’s one of the few mattresses on Amazon that comes with a 100 night in home sleep trial. It was an easy choice to choose this as my best latex mattress on Amazon.
I’ve done all the research, to bring you all the details:
- Pros and cons
- Technical info
- Who the Pure Green Mattress is best suited to (and who it’s not)
- How to use
- My conclusion
- Compare Pure Green With Other Latex Mattresses On Amazon
- Medium Firmness - Great for Side Sleepers, Back Sleepers and Couples
- Filled with 8” Organic Latex Foam (GOLS Certified) - Quilted Cover Made of Organic Cotton and Organic Wool
- Designed, Quilted, Sewn, Assembled and Packaged in our Chicago Factory
- GOTS Certified Organic - GOLS Certified Organic - Fair For Life Fair Trade Certified - Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certified
- No Assembly Required - Roll Compressed & Wrapped in Paper (not Plastic) - Unroll the Paper Wrap, and your Mattress Will Spring to Life!
Pure Green Overview
The Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress is made by Sleep On Latex, which was founded in 2013. The company was started as a one person operation by a young and innovative man called Karl Shevick. Now it’s a family thing: his younger brother Ezra came on board a year later to help with the increasingly popular business. They are now the largest seller of latex mattresses in the United States. Like you can with Snuggle Pedic, it’s nice to be able to put some faces to a company name.
They are incredibly proud of their product, and claim it is the best quality, all latex mattress in the world. They have their own rubber factory in Sri Lanka, with whom they worked very closely to develop their Pure Green latex materials, which they then manufacture into mattresses at home in the United States. Claiming to be the best in the world is a big claim, but not only have they put a massive amount of thought and work into their production, it is backed up by Consumer Reports (who tested their firm mattress) and Amazon reviews. They seem to genuinely care about their team and how they source their materials. They also pride themselves on excellent customer service – as I have found users would agree -and are incredibly active answering questions on Amazon.
Pros and Cons
Materials: Latex Inner
The mattress itself is made from two layers of 100% natural latex foam. There are no synthetics anywhere in the mattress. Sleep on Latex are proud to claim that their Pure Green latex foam is the best quality around. It should be noted that while the latex is 100% natural, this is not to be confused with certified organic as there is not enough worldwide production of certified organic latex to meet production needs.
All mattresses have 8 inches of latex foam in total. They comprise a 6 inch base layer and 2 inch comfort layer. The comfort layer is softer than the base layer, which is firm to act as the support. The two layers are glued together using a natural latex based adhesive (which Sleep on Latex describe as pretty much being a liquid version of the foam layers of the mattress).
The latex used by Sleep on Latex is Dunlop latex, not Talalay. You can read more about the differences between the two here, but basically Dunlop is a bit less “bouncy” and therefore liked by a wider range of people.
Sleep on Latex manufacture soft, medium (which I am reviewing and linking to in this post) and hard mattresses. The difference between the three is: the 6 inch layer of each is a different firmness (with soft being the least firm, as you might guess). The comfort layer is the same on the soft and medium mattresses, but is firmer on the firm mattress. So the main difference between soft and medium is the support layer only. The difference between medium and firm is the support layer and the comfort layer.
There are tiny air chambers within the latex layers to help with breathability.
The cover contains two layers of organic cotton, which is sourced from Canada, Germany, and Pakistan. Again, there are no synthetics used here. There is a thin layer of New Zealand (my home!!) organic wool on the mattress to provide softness and act as a natural fire barrier. There are no chemicals or other fire barrier cloths required in this mattress to meet the federal regulations (latex is naturally fire resistant too so the materials used in this mattress are working really smart for you).
The wool can have a bit of an initial smell, and this wool smell triggered the most one and two star reviews. If you know to expect it and that it will go away (if you even notice it, many didn’t) you won’t have a problem.
Both the wool and cotton are very breathable, and this combined with the air chambers in the latex layers mean there should be no issue with feeling hot while sleeping on this mattress.
The Pure Green Mattresses are Greenguard Gold certified.
Shipping and warranty
You will get free shipping if you purchase this mattress from Amazon, but it’s not part of their Prime program.
The Pure Green all latex mattress comes with a 10 year warranty and a 100 night trial, which is NOT COMMON AT ALL for mattresses on Amazon, and something Pure Green go above and beyond to provide for you.
Who Is The Mattress Best Suited To?
Latex mattresses are great for people with back pain, as they will conform closely to help align the spine and alleviate pressure points. This is similar to how memory foam provides support, but without the “sinking into the mattress feeling” some people report with certain memory foam mattresses.
Sleep on Latex recommends the medium mattress for the widest range of people. However, they suggest side sleepers may prefer the soft mattress and stomach sleepers may prefer the firm mattress (as may anyone else who likes a very firm mattress). It’s actually really great to have so many firmness options, instead of being expected to be happy with a “one size fits all” option.
Only latex mattresses such as this one can claim to be all natural, so this is a great choice if this is a priority for you.
With regard to allergies: please read this information but it is not a substitute for medical advice. This mattress will be good for people who suffer from dust allergies and other allergies triggered by household chemicals as the latex naturally offers dust mite, and hypoallergenic resistant qualities. It is also resistant towards mildew, mold, is antibacterial, and anti fungal. This mattress can trigger a reaction for anyone with a true allergy to the protein in latex. It is recommended you consult with your doctor about this, because if your allergy to latex is a skin-contact allergy, you may be able to use the mattress without any issue but only your doctor can confirm this for you.
- Will it sleep hot?
- Most users report that even living in a warm climate, they have had no temperature issues with this mattress. The latex itself has holes to make it breathable, and the wool and cotton in the outer layers are also very breathable fabrics. The few people who did say it ran hot may have been using a non breathable mattress protector on top of their mattress, taking away from all the properties of the materials.
- What is this talk of latex “foam”? Is it not pure latex?
- Yes, this mattress is 100% latex. Liquid latex is turned into a latex foam using a heating process called vulcanization.
- Why does the king size mattress cost so much more?
- The reason Sleep on Latex gives is : the king is an extremely heavy mattress. It can’t be shipped by UPS or FedEx due to its weight, it requires freight.
- Since the cover is removable, can I change around layers inside the mattress to customize it?
- No you can’t, because the two latex layers are glued together using a natural latex glue. I’d suggest if you think you may need to customize this mattress in the future, purchase a medium or firm one, then add a topper to it to make it softer. This will be a lot easier for you than trying to make a mattress that is too soft feel firmer.
How To Use Your Pure Green Mattress
- When you’re first opening your new mattress, have the space around it cleared for when you open the plastic wrapping: by all accounts it will expand out fast!
- Latex mattresses are very heavy and can feel very floppy. It’s recommended you have two people to move the mattress around. One reviewer described it as feeling a bit like Jello.
- Expect a wool or “barn” type smell from the layer of organic wool. This will dissipate quickly, if you even notice it. If you order the mattress in summer, you might be more likely to to notice it than if you ordered in the cooler months due to the combination of compressed packaging and heat.
- The mattress is ready to sleep on straight away: there is no need to wait for decompression.
- You will not need to rotate this mattress. Sleep on Latex state the latex is very durable and will not deteriorate or indent with the correct support under it.
- A platform base or slatted foundation with spaces less than 3 inches apart is recommended, you can also use it on an adjustable base.
- The cover is removable, but it should be spot cleaned or dry cleaned only. Do not put it in your washing machine.
- To save yourself the hassle of trying to get the cover back on (this can be tricky given the heavy, floppy nature of the latex), keep it clean all the time by using a mattress protector.
After researching this review, I have to say I’m totally sold on this one. I really like the idea of how the latex supports you while you sleep. I love the materials used in the Pure Green mattress. It is all natural, which is very difficult to find in a mattress, even a lot of other latex mattresses will contain synthetic materials so this really is a rare gem.
Sleep on Latex sounds like they really care about their family, their employees, the environment and delivering the best product to their customers at the lowest price they can manage. They have even been known to drop their prices after making improvements to production, to keep their mattresses accessible to as many as possible. This is the sort of company I’d love to support, with what I believe to be a very high quality product. I’m happy to recommend this one to you. I’d be tempted to get one shipped to me in New Zealand, if the shipping cost wouldn’t be so horrendous given its weight!
Compare Pure Green With Other Latex Mattresses On Amazon
- Soft - Great for Adding Softness to the Surface of a Mattress
- Adjusts to Your Body Instantly - Adds Softness without Sacrificing Support - Latex Foam Naturally Stays Cool
- Made of Natural Latex Harvested from Organically Grown Rubber Trees
- GOLS Certified Organic (Global Organic Latex Standard) - Fair For Life Fair Trade Certified
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 - Greenguard Gold - ecoInstitut - All Certifications Issued Directly to Sleep On Latex
- FIRM FEEL – This Lucid mattress includes 1.5” latex foam, 1” gel memory foam, 1.2” soft foam, 2” support foam and 6.3” of individually encased coils for a firm feel, fully supporting the body and back in all sleep positions.General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- WAKE UP FEELING REFRESHED: This Avenco queen mattress 12 inch designs with skin-friendly Tencel fabric for cool touch feeling, and the open cell latex foam for better airflow and breathability. The queen mattress in a box keeps cool while you sleep, and the moisture absorption fabric keeps dry and refreshed
- ODOR-FREE AND NOISE-ABSORPTION: The foam mattress queen has 3 layers of high-density foam that can absorb the noise while you sleep. 0.39 inch of bamboo charcoal foam can prevent odors, regulates temperature, and prevents overheating when you sleep on this queen memory foam mattress
- MOTION ISOLATION AND SUPPORT: Individual pocket springs keeps motion isolation that you won’t be disturbed by your partner. Each spring in this mattress queen works independently so don’t worry about sagging. You can enjoy a peaceful night with our 12 inch memory foam mattress queen
- PRESSURE RELIEF AND COMFORT: This queen mattress memory foam will shape into a natural shape of your body, conforms to your curves and keep spinal alignment, relieve pressure points. The queen size mattress is suitable for all sleeping positions, you will feel relax and sleep comfortably with our firm queen mattress
- Three-layer hypoallergenic memory foam mattress with cooling gel-infused alternative-latex top layer, breathable support-foam middle layer and durable foam base
- Queen-size mattress measures 80 x 60 x 12 inches (LxWxH)
- Responsive LURAcor alternative-latex foam top layer offers more bouncy rebound and less “sink” compared to traditional memory foam
- Firm-feel mattress helps keep spine in alignment and provide relief to shoulders, hips, and other pressure points; promotes a restful night's sleep for any body type and sleeping position (front, side, or back)
- CertiPUR-US certified and made in the USA of domestic and imported parts; luxurious quilted cover for extra softness
- Firm - Provides Strong Pinpointed Support
- Adjusts to Your Body Instantly - Latex Foam Naturally Stays Cool
- Made of Natural Latex Harvested from Organically Grown Rubber Trees
- GOLS Certified Organic (Global Organic Latex Standard)
- Fair For Life - Fair Trade Certified
Last update on 2022-12-10 at 17:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API