The best all latex mattress. Hmmm. When I first started the research for this article, I kind of regretted it. Why? There are not actually that many all latex mattresses out there with enough data on them for me to provide you with the balanced and unbiased reviews I like to. Take a look on Amazon, there are loads of hybrids with a small layer of latex, and loads of latex toppers. Latex is clearly a popular material for sleeping. But all latex mattresses? Not so many! I could only find a handful. There was a demand for a review of the best one, so I persisted until I found one I was happy to bring to you.
If you’ve read my review process, you’ll know I have quite strict criteria for what I’m happy to recommend to you guys. I have to say that none of the all latex mattresses on Amazon had enough numbers for my usual criteria. There were some that had five stars, but only three reviews. That was not enough for me to be able to present you with an unbiased review. There were others that had a higher number of reviews, but their star rating was below four. That was not enough user satisfaction for me to encourage you to buy.
So what am I recommending to you as the best all latex mattress? It is a mattress that has a great star rating and many happy customers, with amazing customer service. So, now I present you with my review of the Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress (medium firmness) by Sleep on Latex. I chose to review the medium firmness because it is the most popular type suited to the widest range of people.
Feel free to skip ahead to any of the sections linked below if there’s something specific you’d like to know straight away.
- Pros and cons
- Technical info
- Who the Pure Green Mattress is best suited to (and who it’s not)
- How to use
- Real comments from the many users who gave it 5 stars
- My conclusion
- Best place to buy
The Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress is made by Sleep On Latex, which was founded in 2013. The company was started as a one person operation by a young and innovative man called Karl Shevick. Now it’s a family thing: his younger brother Ezra came on board a year later to help with the increasingly popular business. They are now the largest seller of latex mattresses in the United States. Like you can with Snuggle Pedic, it’s nice to be able to put some faces to a company name.
They are incredibly proud of their product, and claim it is the best quality, all latex mattress in the world. They have their own rubber factory in Sri Lanka, with whom they worked very closely to develop their Pure Green latex materials, which they then manufacture into mattresses at home in the United States. Claiming to be the best in the world is a big claim, but not only have they put a massive amount of thought and work into their production, it is backed up by Consumer Reports (who tested their firm mattress) and Amazon reviews. They seem to genuinely care about their team and how they source their materials. They also pride themselves on excellent customer service – as I have found users would agree -and are incredibly active answering questions on Amazon.
Pros and cons
Materials: Latex Inner
The mattress itself is made from two layers of 100% natural latex foam. There are no synthetics anywhere in the mattress. Sleep on Latex are proud to claim that their Pure Green latex foam is the best quality around. It should be noted that while the latex is 100% natural, this is not to be confused with certified organic as there is not enough worldwide production of certified organic latex to meet production needs.
All mattresses have 8 inches of latex foam in total. They comprise a 6 inch base layer and 2 inch comfort layer. The comfort layer is softer than the base layer, which is firm to act as the support. The two layers are glued together using a natural latex based adhesive (which Sleep on Latex describe as pretty much being a liquid version of the foam layers of the mattress).
The latex used by Sleep on Latex is Dunlop latex, not Talalay. You can read more about the differences between the two here, but basically Dunlop is a bit less “bouncy” and therefore liked by a wider range of people.
Sleep on Latex manufacture soft, medium (which I am reviewing and linking to in this post) and hard mattresses. The difference between the three is: the 6 inch layer of each is a different firmness (with soft being the least firm, as you might guess). The comfort layer is the same on the soft and medium mattresses, but is firmer on the firm mattress. So the main difference between soft and medium is the support layer only. The difference between medium and firm is the support layer and the comfort layer.
There are tiny air chambers within the latex layers to help with breathability.
The cover contains two layers of organic cotton, which is sourced from Canada, Germany, and Pakistan. Again, there are no synthetics used here. There is a thin layer of New Zealand (my home!!) organic wool on the mattress to provide softness and act as a natural fire barrier. There are no chemicals or other fire barrier cloths required in this mattress to meet the federal regulations (latex is naturally fire resistant too so the materials used in this mattress are working really smart for you).
The wool can have a bit of an initial smell, and this wool smell triggered the most one and two star reviews. If you know to expect it and that it will go away (if you even notice it, many didn’t) you won’t have a problem.
Both the wool and cotton are very breathable, and this combined with the air chambers in the latex layers mean there should be no issue with feeling hot while sleeping on this mattress.
The Pure Green Mattresses are Greenguard Gold certified.
Shipping and warranty
You will get free shipping if you purchase this mattress from either Amazon or direct from Sleep on Latex. Please note that if you are shopping on Amazon, this mattress is not on Prime, so standard free shipping time frames will apply.
The Pure Green all latex mattress comes with a 10 year warranty and a 100 night trial. Sleep on Latex will pick up the mattress for free if you decide you’re not happy with it within the 100 night time frame.
Who is the mattress best suited to?
Latex mattresses are great for people with back pain, as they will conform closely to help align the spine and alleviate pressure points. This is similar to how memory foam provides support, but without the “sinking into the mattress feeling” some people report with certain memory foam mattresses.
Sleep on Latex recommends the medium mattress for the widest range of people. However, they suggest side sleepers may prefer the soft mattress and stomach sleepers may prefer the firm mattress (as may anyone else who likes a very firm mattress)
Only latex mattresses such as this one can claim to be all natural, so this is a great choice if this is a priority for you.
With regard to allergies: please read this information but it is not a substitute for medical advice. This mattress will be good for people who suffer from dust allergies and other allergies triggered by household chemicals as the latex naturally offers dust mite, and hypoallergenic resistant qualities. It is also resistant towards mildew, mold, is antibacterial, and anti fungal. This mattress can trigger a reaction for anyone with a true allergy to the protein in latex. It is recommended you consult with your doctor about this, because if your allergy to latex is a skin-contact allergy, you may be able to use the mattress without any issue but only your doctor can confirm this for you.
- Will it sleep hot?
- Most users report that even living in a warm climate, they have had no temperature issues with this mattress. The latex itself has holes to make it breathable, and the wool and cotton in the outer layers are also very breathable fabrics. The few people who did say it ran hot may have been using a non breathable mattress protector on top of their mattress, taking away from all the properties of the materials.
- What is this talk of latex “foam”? Is it not pure latex?
- Yes, this mattress is 100% latex. Liquid latex is turned into a latex foam using a heating process called vulcanization.
- Why does the king size mattress cost so much more?
- The reason Sleep on Latex gives is : the king is an extremely heavy mattress. It can’t be shipped by UPS or FedEx due to its weight, it requires freight.
- Since the cover is removable, can I change around layers inside the mattress to customize it?
- No you can’t, because the two latex layers are glued together. I’d suggest if you think you may need to customize this mattress in the future, purchase a medium or firm one, then add a topper to it to make it softer. This will be a lot easier for you than trying to make a mattress that is too soft feel firmer.
- When you’re first opening your new mattress, have the space around it cleared for when you open the plastic wrapping: by all accounts it will expand out fast!
- Latex mattresses are very heavy and can feel very floppy. It’s recommended you have two people to move the mattress around. One reviewer described it as feeling a bit like Jello.
- Expect a wool or “barn” type smell from the layer of organic wool. This will dissipate quickly, if you even notice it. If you order the mattress in summer, you might be more likely to to notice it than if you ordered in the cooler months due to the combination of compressed packaging and heat.
- The mattress is ready to sleep on straight away: there is no need to wait for decompression.
- You will not need to rotate this mattress. Sleep on Latex state the latex is very durable and will not deteriorate or indent with the correct support under it.
- A platform base or slatted foundation with spaces less than 3 inches apart is recommended, you can also use it on an adjustable base.
- The cover is removable, but it should be spot cleaned or dry cleaned only. Do not put it in your washing machine.
- To save yourself the hassle of trying to get the cover back on (this can be tricky given the heavy, floppy nature of the latex), keep it clean all the time by using a mattress protector.
Real comments from the many users who gave it 5 stars
This is a selection of genuine comments from customers who are using and love their Pure Green all latex mattress. I have selected only comments from Amazon reviewers who rated this mattress five stars (the highest rating available) to provide you a useful summary of what these people think. I have made sure I’ve taken excerpts from the comments that other people looking to buy this exact mattress have found helpful.
The general theme of the comments from these real reviewers seemed to be that they were nervous about the switch to a latex mattress, but they were really glad they did. A lot also mentioned enjoying sleeping on a mattress made from 100% natural materials.
- “One of the most reasonably priced “green” mattresses I’ve come across”
- “It took a little getting used to, but now my aches and pains have gone”
- “I previously had an expensive memory foam mattress; I’m finding the latex so much better”
- “I was nervous to buy online but this feels really luxurious and comfortable”
- “I expected some kind of floppy pad but it’s actually very supportive feeling”
- “A really comfortable mattress”
- “The last “green” mattress I bought was twice the price of this one”
- “It is a very well made mattress”
After researching this review, I have to say I’m totally sold on this one. I really like the idea of how the latex supports you while you sleep. I love the materials used in the Pure Green mattress. It is all natural, which is very difficult to find in a mattress, even a lot of other latex mattresses will contain synthetic materials so this really is a rare gem.
Sleep on Latex sounds like they really care about their family, their employees, the environment and delivering the best product to their customers at the lowest price they can manage. They have even been known to drop their prices after making improvements to production, to keep their mattresses accessible to as many as possible. This is the sort of company I’d love to support, with what I believe to be a very high quality product. I’m happy to recommend this one to you. I’d be tempted to get one shipped to me in New Zealand, if the shipping cost wouldn’t be so horrendous given its weight!
Best place to buy
This mattress is easily available on Amazon, so I recommend you buy it there. You will still benefit directly from the great customer service provided by Sleep on Latex along with all the other good things about buying on Amazon.
If you’re feeling unsure about going full latex and would like to find out more about an amazing latex hybrid mattress instead, read this mattress review for a high quality and popular hybrid.