The Ashley Furniture Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress is a consistent Amazon top seller in the Amazon mattress category. Along with a very competitive budget price point it has more than a thousand positive reviews and loads of happy customers. Ashley also make the bold claim that they are the world’s number one furniture company, so there’s a lot to live up to here.
Does it sound too good to be true? Can you trust those Ashley Furniture Mattress Reviews? I’ve taken a deep dive into all the info available to help you decide if this mattress is worth your money or if it’s just got some over-inflated hype. Find out all the details, including whether I would buy it myself.
This review is long and detailed, I’ll go through:
- Who Is Ashley Furniture?
- Technical info
- How to use
- What does the mattress feel like to lie on?
- Who is the mattress best suited to?
- Why does it have so many great reviews?
- My conclusion
- Best place to buy
Who Is Ashley Furniture?
Ashley Furniture is a large and well established furniture manufacturer. They have been in business for more than 70 years, so they should really know about making quality furniture. Their A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau gets this review off to a reassuring start. The Chime Express memory foam mattress we’re putting under the spotlight in this review is part of their “Signature Design” range.
Ashley Furniture have franchise stores right across the USA, so you might be familiar with the company already, having visited their stores. They’re clearly trying to move with the times by offering their items on online platforms such as Amazon too.
Unfortunately, their online customer service raises a big red flag for me. I emailed them for some further information on the mattress to get everything I need to bring you a complete review, and got half an answer about 10 days later. I thanked them for their answer, and asked for my other questions to be answered. Another 10 days later, I got an apology email from a customer service representative saying they would pass my questions on to their quality team. I’m still waiting for my answers. This does not bode well for buying a mattress from them, I like to recommend you buy from somewhere with excellent customer service. I think it’s a minimum requirement when you buy online.
If you do purchase this mattress, you’ll be dealing with Amazon rather than directly with Ashley, which mitigates this problem somewhat. If you want to buy something directly from Ashley Furniture instead of Amazon I’m going to say right now that I think you’d be better off visiting one of their stores.
Here is a cross section of the 12 inch mattress:
The Ashley Furniture Chime Mattress is currently available in 8,10 inch or 12 inch thickness. Sizes available are Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King. This mattress has three internal layers of foam.
- Stretch knit cover. Please note the cover is not removable. The customer images of the cover on their mattresses are slightly different than the promotional images used by Ashley. It is hard to tell if this is because the cover has been updated since they took their promo shots. I didn’t bother asking them because they never get back to me.
- The 8 inch mattress has 1 inch of memory foam, 1.5 inches of transition foam, and a 6 inch polyfoam support core.
- The 10 inch mattress has 1.5 inches of memory foam, 1.5 inches of transition foam, and a 7 inch polyfoam support core.
- The 12 inch mattress has 2 inches of memory foam, 2 inches of transition foam, and an 8 inch poly foam support core.
The country of manufacture is not mentioned anywhere on the Ashley Furniture website, or on Amazon. This was one of the many questions I had for Ashley Furniture, and they told me their mattress is made in the USA. I’m not sure if that means the foams are made in the USA or if the mattress is just assembled there. Based on the price I have to assume that they mean the mattress is assembled in the USA but I believe the foams are probably manufactured in China.
I am still waiting to hear back (after nearly a month) about whether their foams have any certifications such as CertiPUR-US, what is used for the fire barrier (I will assume fiberglass since the cover is not removable and other mattresses at a similar price point use it), and what the weight limit is for the mattress. I’ll update this post if I get any further technical information from Ashley but I’m not holding my breath.
Shipping and warranty
This mattress is eligible for Amazon Prime, so you can have the mattress shipped to your door for free within two days.
There is no warranty information given on the Amazon listing, nor is it clear from the questions and answers on Amazon. Furthermore, I couldn’t find it on the Ashley website either! I emailed Amazon customer service to find out about the warranty and this is what they came back with: ask the company. Even though it clearly says on Amazon that the information could be obtained by requesting from Amazon.
There is no sleep trial as such, but you can return it to Amazon within 30 days if you are not happy with it.
How To Use
Don’t flip it: the memory foam is on one side, the firmer support foam is on the other.
Don’t remove the cover: there is probably fiberglass inside for the fire barrier. This is perfectly fine as long as it stays contained.
Cleaning: spot clean and vacuuming is recommended. Don’t use any dry cleaning fluid. I’ve got a really helpful article on how to clean memory foam mattresses here.
Ashley Furniture specifically warn you to tell kids not to jump on it. Jumping on any mattress is hardly going to extend its life, but this specific warning they felt the need to give makes
me suspicious that the foams inside might not be very durable.
What Does The Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
Reading through the available information on how the mattress feels was a bit confusing. On one part of Amazon it says firm, yet in another part it says plush. The reason for this is that the 12 inch is rated as plush, and the 10 inch is rated as firm and these two terms have been mixed up somewhere along the way.
The mattress that has the biggest amount of memory foam should feel the most plush of the three, since memory foam is the comfort layer that contours to your body to provide pressure relief. This makes me think that the 8 inch, with its one inch of memory foam, would feel quite firm.
Reviews on how firm the mattress feels are mixed among Amazon customers, which I would expect as feel is such a subjective thing and the reviews for all three mattresses are lumped together. My gut feeling is to say this mattress would feel reasonably firm given that even the 12 inch, thickest mattress only has 2 inches of memory foam inside it.
There is no cooling gel or ventilation channels within this mattress to help dissipate body heat as you sleep so I would also anticipate it could feel quite hot to sleep on.
Who Is The Mattress Best Suited To?
This mattress might be okay if you’re looking for something really basic for a spare room or holiday accommodation. Maybe even a college student might find it a passable cheap option for a couple of years.
I don’t think it has enough memory foam to be an every day bed for anyone, unless you’re a really light person who won’t feel uncomfortable on the stingy 1-2 inches of memory foam in the comfort layer.
I honestly think there are better options at this price point, I don’t think this mattress is really that great for anyone. My two preferred alternatives are revealed at the end of this review.
So Why Does It Have So Many Great Reviews?
Reading through the Ashley Furniture Mattress reviews, despite all the negatives there were people that had plenty of positive things to say. I’ve tried to condense the comments into what came through repeatedly:
- Some people really like the firmness of the mattress, so even though I think it’s skimping on the memory foam, the feel is right for some people.
- A theme going right through the positive reviews was that people felt it was a good mattress for the price.
- Funnily enough, lots of people gave it a high star rating because they enjoyed watching the mattress woosh and expand out of the plastic, which is interesting but not so helpful for talking about mattress performance.
I really don’t like this mattress and I don’t like the responses I got from Ashley Furniture when I asked them questions.
There really isn’t much memory foam here, there is only 1.5 or 2 inches depending on which mattress height you choose. I think that is stingy. Also, the memory foam doesn’t have any technology such as gel infusion. I can see why it’s such a budget priced mattress. I can only assume it sells so well on Amazon because of the price, but there are better options for you in the same price bracket.
I found both their website and their Amazon listing lacking in detail about the mattress. Basic information such as the density of the foams, where it’s made, or what the fire barrier is were hard to find.
Best Place To Buy
I would not buy this mattress myself so I won’t direct you to any links to buy it. I don’t believe in that. Instead, I’d like you to read about two other budget priced Amazon memory foam top sellers that could be better options for you.
- THE RIGHT COMBINATION - Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing charcoal infused into three layers of top-notch foam. This mattress cradles every curve—alleviating those points of tension and allowing your body to recover as you rest.
- PATENTED CUSTOM CONTOUR SUPPORT - No more waking up feeling like you've been swallowed by your mattress. Zinus' patented Custom Contour technology is expertly layered in our high-quality memory foam to our super-dense base foam for ultimate support.
- AFFORDABLE REST, CERTIFIED QUALITY - Experience the luxury of high-quality CertiPUR-certified foams without breaking the bank. This fiberglass-free mattress offers unparalleled value and is developed for quality, durability and ultimate comfort.
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours.
- Please allow 24-72 hours for your mattress to regain its original shape. Memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room and may take longer to regain shape from its compressed state in colder temperatures. Expansion time will vary based on surroundings.
Last update on 2023-12-07 at 11:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API