The Best Plush Mattress: Top 5 Buying Options (And Supreme Winner)
The best plush mattress: is there just one? No! In fact, there isn’t even just one definition of what a plush mattress is. Plush is a term that can mean soft, thick fabric, or luxurious, and mattress companies use the terms to mean all those things. I’ll help you define exactly what a plush mattress is, and show you the best of the market to meet those definitions. Scroll right to the bottom to find out which is my absolute favorite.
What Defines A Plush Mattress: Quick Guide
- “Made of a thick, soft fabric.” For a mattress, this often means a mattress that has soft and natural materials in the cover, and might also have a pillow top. For example, a mattress with a tencel cover (which is soft to touch) and a pillow top could be described as “plush” no matter how firm or soft the layers of foam inside the mattress actually are.
- “Thick and soft.” For a mattress, this usually means a soft mattress. Many companies use “soft” and “plush” interchangeably because “plush” makes for better marketing
- “Very fancy and usually expensive.” As I said above, “plush” is a great marketing word, so you’ll often see it on mattresses that fit nicely in the luxury category, like these ones.
As the term “plush” can be used in a variety of ways, there is no one answer for the best plush mattress. In my top 5 below I cover all the bases so there will be a plush mattress that is right for your needs.
The Top 5 Best Plush Mattresses Are:
1. The Nice Pillow Top Where You Can Choose Your Firmness: Helix Luxe Range
Helix has always set themselves apart from the competition by making mattresses that suit every sleeper. Their Luxe range can be described as plush because they actually meet all of the definitions above. They have a quilted pillow top with a soft cover, you can choose your firmness level as soft if you like, and they are are a luxurious design. Not only do they tick all the “plush” boxes, they have also carefully designed their mattresses to offer either deep pressure relief for side sleepers or more responsive support for back and stomach sleepers.
- 14 Inch height
- Best choices of soft, medium or firm
- Best choices between foam types to suit your sleeping position
- Quilted pillow top with tencel cover (a beautifully soft plant based fiber)
- Quality foams and zoned support coils (pocket coils – individually wrapped) with reinforced coils around the edges
- 100 Night sleep trial and 15 year warranty
If choosing from a range sounds overwhelming, I’ll tell you straight out that my favorite Helix Mattress is the “Midnight Luxe”. This is their medium feel luxe mattress with the pressure relieving foam. This will feel beautifully plush to lie on, while providing a great balance of pressure relief and support. It’s no wonder it’s one of their top selling mattresses.
2. The Medium Firm Mattress With A Soft Cashmere Cover And Pillow Top: DreamCloud Premier
DreamCloud have been marketing themselves as the best “luxury plush” mattress on the market since their inception in 2018. They’re the only company I’m aware of that uses a beautiful soft cashmere blend in their cover, which gives the top of the mattress a lovely feel. Like the Helix Luxe mattresses, DreamCloud also falls nicely into the luxury category with its 14 inch depth and quality build.
- Cashmere blend cover with quilted Euro Top
- Medium feel to suit a wide range of people: DreamCloud describe this as “luxury firm” (in my opinion DreamCloud Premier is a touch firmer than a standard medium)
- Memory foam and pocket coils with reinforced edges
- 365 Night sleep trial (yes, a whole year)
- Lifetime warranty
It’s pretty hard to be a year sleep trial and lifetime warranty, these are among the most generous in the industry.
3. Luxuriously Soft Yet Supportive: Puffy Royal
Puffy is one of the best known online mattress companies. The Puffy Royal was added to their collection in late 2019 and became an instant hit. Jam packed with features that the other two Puffy models don’t have, it towers above them in terms of design. It is the softest and most luxurious mattress of the Puffy range, meeting two of our definitions for a “plush” mattress.
This mattress used to be an all-foam model, but you can now choose if you want your Puffy Royal with a foam base or a pocket coil base. They are one of the first companies I’ve seen to give you this option (for the same price) in the same mattress.
- 14 Inch height
- Plush feel, which comes in at around a 5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale (in my opinion the Puffy Royal is a touch softer than a standard medium)
- Oeko-Tex certified cover which is removable and washable
- Exclusive comfort foams (memory foam) only found in Puffy Royal
- 5 Layer system carefully engineered for cooling, comfort, and support
- Your choice of foam or pocket coil base
- 101 Night sleep trial and lifetime warranty
4. The Soft Mattress You Can Flip Over For A Firmer Feel: Layla
The unique thing about the all foam Layla mattress is that it has a firmer side and a softer side. Don’t like the feel of one? Simply flip it over and try out the other! Layla is one of the few companies offering this clever design. It meets our definitions of plush because the soft side of the mattress is quite soft (around a 4 out of 10) and the cover is a truly beautiful fabric (that customers rave about) which is soft and cooling.
- 10.5 Inch height
- Soft side is 4 out of 10 firm, firmer side is 7 out of 10 firm
- Beautifully quilted cover infused with thermogel for temperature regulation
- Copper infused memory foam and convolutions for great temperature regulation
- 120 Night sleep trial and lifetime warranty
One thing to note with Layla is that I think this mattress is particularly well suited to lighter people, particularly light side sleepers. The comfort foams are of a low density to achieve the plush softness that defines this mattress, so they’ll only feel supportive for lower body weights.
5. The Mattress With Incredible Cushioning For Side Sleepers: Nolah
Nolah markets itself as the best mattress for side sleepers. The foam in the comfort layer of a Nolah mattress is a proprietary air foam, which is designed to be more durable, breathable, and pressure relieving than standard memory foams. Nolah makes two mattresses: the 10 inch high Original and the 12 inch high Signature (which is flippable). Nolah meets our definition of plush by offering a medium-soft firmness in both their mattresses, with excellent pressure relief.
- Choose between the 10 inch Original (medium firmness) or the 12 inch Signature (flippable: soft-medium on one side, medium-firm on the other). The Signature is the model that in my opinion is best for side sleepers.
- All foam design with proprietary air foam comfort layer
- 120 Night sleep trial on both models
- Generous 15 year warranty on the Original, unbeatable lifetime warranty on the Signature
Do they live up to their marketing claim of being the best mattress for side sleepers? Everything I’ve read from real customer testimonials indicates that yes, Nolah is a great mattress for side sleepers. There are many happy people out there sleeping on Nolah! I think this mattress should offer a beautifully plush layer of contouring for your shoulder without compromising on support.
Overall Supreme Winner:
The best plush mattress has to be Helix Luxe. The reasons I would buy it are:
- No matter how you define plush, Helix meets that definition.
- I really like the fact that not only can you choose how soft or firm you want, you also get to choose if you want foams that are more contouring or more responsive. There aren’t many online mattress companies who offer you so many options.
- I personally prefer a hybrid mattress, so Helix ticks that box for me with its zoned pocket coil support core with reinforced edging.