The Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid mattress is an Amazon top seller, and stands out in the sea of mostly memory foam that dominates the top 12. It generates a lot of discussion, with over 1,000 answered questions as of February 2019; and sells a lot of units at 13,000 estimated sales per month. These figures meant I had to take a look at it for you, to see if it’s worth your money.
In this review, I will look at 8 inch and 10 inch mattresses together, as they are grouped together on Amazon. This makes it impossible to know who gave which score for what mattress thickness, and people don’t always state which one they are talking about in their review. I will say though, from some of the comments, I could tell which mattress people were probably talking about from the way they talked about it. You’ll find my recommendation for whether you should go for 8 inches or 10 inches further on in the post.
Feel free to click straight to any of the sections I’ve listed below: there is a lot of information in this review and I’ve designed the review to help you get directly to what’s important for you.
Please note, there is also a 12 inch option for this mattress (described as most plush). I will review it in a separate post. Why? Because the 12 inch hybrid mattress has its very own star rating and reviews. It would be remiss to try and give it a fair write up by combining it with the 8 and 10 inch.
- Pros and cons
- Technical info
- Who is the mattress best suited to?
- How to use
- Any problems?
- Real comments from the more than 5,000 users who gave it 5 stars
- My conclusion
- Best place to buy
Linenspa was founded in 2003 with the vision of creating quality bedding for a price everyone can afford. They market themselves as superb quality, good value, great service and good fashion sense. A visit to their website gives you the vibe they want to be your friend, with their fun promotional video and Instagram hashtag. Their slogan is “life happens, sleep it off”. Their great service is reflected on Amazon: they are very active there answering questions from customers. I think this is great, as it builds trust. I’ve looked at other mattresses where the companies are totally silent.
A hybrid mattress usually contains two popular elements of other mattresses, hence the name. They are popular for a wide range of people. This Linenspa hybrid is made of memory foam and innersprings. It is described as “universally comfortable” with a medium feel.
Pros and cons
I think the 30 night only trial is pretty poor here. Most companies offer at least 100 nights if you buy direct from them, even if they don’t offer it if you buy through other channels. It can take up to a month to truly know if a mattress is going to be right for you in the long term. I guess Linenspa move so many units, or perhaps expect people to use this mattress for guest or kid’s rooms, that they feel they do not need to offer 100 nights.
However, it is an excellent price point so the risk to you is low. I’ll say right now that most who have taken a chance on this mattress have been pleasantly surprised by how well it performs for its price.
When researching this article, I found Linenspa had the easiest to find and most transparent breakdown of the materials used in their mattresses of all the reviews I have written so far. It was refreshing to see such a clear breakdown of the materials used in their mattresses right there in their homepage.
Linenspa mattresses are designed in the United States and then made in China. If you would prefer a mattress manufactured in the States, please read this review instead.
The cover: quilted memory foam for a plush feeling surface layer.
The inner cover: rayon and polyester blend.
The comfort layer: memory foam which Linenspa describe as “curve hugging”.
The base layer: tempered steel springs and dense support foam. The individual coils that are attached to the top and bottom of the base part of the mattress but not to each other. Innersprings also provide the mattress with breathability as air can circulate around them.
The materials used inside this mattress are:
- 53% Polyester Fiber
- 39% Rayon Fiber
- 6% Polyurethane Foam
- 2% Polypropylene Fiber
Basically, in a hybrid mattress such as this one, the springs provide the support of the mattress and the memory foam layers provide the comfort.
I had a bit of a hard time figuring out exactly what the fire retardant barrier in this Linenspa mattress is. On Amazon, I had seen Linenspa state multiple times that it was the rayon/polyester blend cover that acts as the barrier. On yet other questions I saw them answer multiple times that it had a fiberglass layer, which many memory foam mattresses use for a fire retardant layer. These questions seemed to be the most recent, yet there was no mention of fiberglass fibers in anyone’s comments, so I was confused to say the least. I decided to put their prided customer service to the test and ask them myself. They responded within 24 hours confirming they do NOT use fiberglass in this mattress. Here’s the screen shot from my email, alerting me to the answer of my Amazon question:
Shipping and warranty
The Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress comes with a 10 year warranty, which is pretty much standard in the current mattress market.
You will get free shipping when you purchase from Amazon or from Linenspa directly. This mattress is eligible for Prime, so if you are a Prime member on Amazon you should have it at your door within 2 days of ordering from Amazon.
Trial period: 30 days. Linenspa advise they will help you organize a return if you purchased it directly from them, otherwise you will go through Amazon’s customer service (who by all accounts are great with helping to organize mattress returns).
Who is this Linenspa mattress best suited to?
I’ve decided to break this down into two sections, the 8 inch and the 10 inch. Even though Amazon has grouped them together for selling purposes, it became clearer and clearer to me as I researched this review that there would be a distinct group of customers for each mattress and whichever one they choose could change their whole experience of the mattress. Overall, most people would agree that these mattresses have a medium firm feel, with a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale the commonly agreed number.
Eight inch is best for:
- Bunks or children’s beds
- In a camper or trailer
- Linenspa also advises the 8 inch is best for stomach sleepers, as it is the firmest. A firmer mattress (but still comfortable and supportive) is important for stomach sleepers as it stops your hips from dropping and putting pressure on your spine, which can happen when stomach sleeping on a soft mattress. However, if your body weight is light you would also be fine with the 10 inch (I’d also recommend 10 inch for a stomach sleeper who shares a bed with another person)
- Guest rooms
Ten inch is best for:
- Pretty much anyone else, really! The 10 inch should suit most adults and will probably feel more comfortable than the 8 inch.
I read through all the questions on Amazon for you. Nearly a thousand of them! These were questions that popped up over and over again:
- Does this mattress come in a box?
- Yes, even though this mattress has springs, it still comes in a box.
- Are the coils noisy?
- Generally no. Some people found they made a noise when they were unboxing the mattress but that was it. Others reported that if you jump around on the bed (think kid’s pillow fight) you would hear them. But in general sleeping? No.
- How well does it hold up?
- There are plenty of happy customers who have owned their Linenspa mattress longer than a year reporting on Amazon. You might find the “how to use” section of the review helpful if you want to make sure you get the best from your new mattress. Also, it has 10 year warranty which provides some peace of mind.
- Can it be used on bunk beds?
- Yes, this mattress works well on bunk beds.
- Can it be rolled up for storage?
- No. Once the mattress has been released from its packaging and decompressed it cannot be made smaller again.
- Will it feel hot to sleep on?
- The springs really help increase the breathability of this mattress. I scoured the negative reviews for complaints about sleeping hot on this one and came up empty handed.
- Does it have a weight limit?
- No. Linenspa do not specify a weight limit, only saying the mattress can “accommodate any reasonable amount of weight”. There are many people weighing more than 250lb who comfortably use this mattress without any issues.
- Does it need to sit on a boxspring?
- This question was asked a lot. I’m not sure if it’s a natural consequence of there being many questions, or if people are concerned about this particular mattress. Anyway, the answer is that the mattress will go on any firm, clean, supportive surface. That includes boxsprings, slat bases, metal grate bases, and adjustable beds.
Decompressing the mattress: Linenspa advise that there is no fixed time for mattress expansion, and that when it looks “fluffy and comfortable” it’s ready to sleep on. Linenspa expect this will probably happen on the first day, but like other mattress in a box companies, they advise it could take up to 48 hours. Leaving it in a warm well ventilated room will help, as the temperature and airflow will help it expand more quickly. If you’re finding it’s taking longer, it could be because a lot of weight was put on the box during transit. You can still use it while you wait. Make sure you decompress the mattress within a week of delivery to avoid any issues.
Off gassing: The mattress will more than likely have a slight odor from the memory foam and packaging. If this bothers you, be prepared to let the mattress air out for 24-48 hours before you use it. Opening it in a ventilated space works double time to help it decompress, as mentioned above. Off gassing odor does not seem to be a major complaint among customers who have purchased this mattress.
Using on a slat base: So the mattress is well supported, the slats should be no wider than 4 inches apart. That is is stated on the Linenspa website, but I saw them answer a question with 3 inches on Amazon. I therefore would personally recommend no wider than 3 inches as this will provide a more supportive base.
Rotating the mattress: Linenspa recommend you rotate the mattress every time you change the sheets. This seems a bit excessive to me, since the general guide is around every 6 months. However, this is what Linenspa advise and the mattress is reasonably light weight and therefore easier for one person to move than some of its competitors.
Cleaning: spot clean with a mild detergent. It’s always best to use a mattress protector as any stains or spills could void your warranty.
What are people who love this mattress doing differently to others?
I like to include this section in my reviews because often when I read through all the negative reviews of a mattress, I find common problems that could easily be avoided. If people knew from the outset how to get the most from their specific mattress, then they may not have left a negative review. It is not to say that there are no genuinely bad reviews of the mattress, there always will be. I include this purely to help you enjoy your mattress and to feel a bit less put off by some of the negative comments that are not necessarily to do with the true performance of the mattress. I’ve outlined some concerns you may not be able to do much about in the next section.
- Make sure that if you buy on Amazon, the seller is Amazon or Linenspa. Why? It will be guaranteed not to have bedbugs. And many of the negative reviews are about bedbugs (although in some of them it was clear it was not actually bedbugs). Amazon is now a giant marketplace, with lots of different sellers, so if you buy this mattress from someone other than Linenspa or Amazon, it could be second hand or been opened. The links I provide in this review will only take you to items sold by Amazon so you will have no problems with this.
- They know how to contact the seller if they have a problem. Lots of people reported the mattress didn’t feel right for them (the firmness of a mattress is subjective, this is rated medium firm but there will always be people who don’t agree). They then left a negative review because they were disappointed they could not return it. As long as you are within your 30 day window, you can return this mattress. You just need to contact Amazon or Linenspa to arrange it. You do not need to feel disappointed and stuck with a mattress you do not like.
- They make sure the mattress is being used on a firm, supportive base. I found some negative reviewers who could have had a better mattress experience if they had the mattress on a newer box spring, a slat base with slats no wider than 3-4 inches, or a metal frame with a support in the middle. People were leaving negative reviews complaining of the mattress sagging but in fact it was due to it not being on a supportive enough base, which will make any mattress feel saggy (I have therefore seen this comment as a negative on many mattresses).
I read several one star reviews where customers had opened their mattress promptly but it never expanded fully, even after a week. Amazon and Linenspa were quick to help sort a refund or replacement.
Several customers said they could feel the springs after about a month. This would be an unacceptable feeling for me, too. This would be covered by the mattress 10 year warranty.
From what I can gather, a lot of people who bought the 8 inch size for themselves as adults, have found it to be too thin. So if you are looking at purchasing this mattress for your own bed rather than a child’s bed or a guest bed, I’d recommend you purchase the 10 inch size to mitigate this problem. I have also said this above in the “who is it best suited to” section of this review as Linenspa recommends the same when you dig through the comments and questions on the Amazon and Linenspa sites.
If you want to read about a mattress with virtually NO negative reviews, click here.
Lots of purchases of this mattress were for children or for guest beds. This mattress does not seem to be the first choice of mattress for people suffering from back pain, although people definitely are finding their Linenspa mattresses to be supportive and relieving of pressure points.
The general theme of the positive comments was that people were surprised at how comfortable it felt for the price. Lots were buying it as a temporary mattress (if using for themselves) that they then ended up keeping. It seems people generally had low expectations but then were pleasantly surprised by this one!
- “The memory foam on top feels nice and soft while the springs underneath provide excellent support”
- “I scoured all the shops for a mattress my toddler would like, none were any good. In the end I gave up and bought this one because it was cheap and available on Amazon Prime. My toddler loves it so much he doesn’t want to get up sometimes!”
- “I bought this as I needed a cheap temporary bed but it’s actually the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on”
- “After owning and sleeping on this mattress for a year it has no signs of wear and is still incredibly comfortable. I’m really glad I made this purchase”
- “I was skeptical because I read some negative reviews, but it’s so comfortable and working out great”
- “I had to throw away my old mattress and bought this one as a stand in, but it has exceeded my expectations 100 times over”
- “A quality product for an affordable price”
- “It had a bit of a chemical smell when I opened it, but it soon went away”
- “I bought this for our guest room. After taking a nap on it one day I’ve bought another for our main bedroom”
- “A medium-firm mattress good for side or stomach sleepers”
- “This mattress is doing a great job of supporting my back and is holding up well after a year”
I think this mattress is a good budget buy. I’d get the 8 inch for my kids or for my guest bed, I wouldn’t get it for myself. I’d get the 10 inch for myself and my husband. I believe this mattress has a sturdy construction and Linenspa offer great customer service. I’d be happy to buy one of their products, especially since so many people are pleasantly surprised by how well this mattress performs for its price.
Best place to buy
I think the best place to buy is Amazon. Lots of Amazon customers were very happy with how fast the shipping was, with many being pleasantly surprised the mattress arrived a day earlier than they were anticipating.