Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review – is the top seller in the Helix range simply because it’s an extremely high quality mattress that’s going to be very comfortable for most people.
Designed to combine pressure relieving foams, a medium feel, and a zoned pocket coil core, Helix promotes this as their top choice for side sleepers but in reality it’s a great option for pretty much everyone.
Find out all the details of this popular mattress, including whether it really is that great for side sleepers.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review:
- Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Features
- How Is It Superior To The Standard Helix Midnight Mattress?
- What Does The Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
- What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? (Reviews From Real People)
- Final Opinion
Midnight Luxe Mattress Features
The Helix Midnight Luxe is a medium feel mattress designed with side sleepers in mind. If you’re looking for a firm mattress for side sleepers check out the Twilight, or the Sunset for a soft feel.
The Helix Midnight Luxe stands at 14 inches high, has a pillow-top, contouring memory foams, and a support core of zoned pocket springs. The two memory foams inside the Midnight Luxe have been engineered to have a medium feel. Here are all the details:
- Top Cover: Tencel fabric. Tencel is a plant based fabric that’s silky smooth to touch and is very breathable.
- Quilted Pillow top: The cover is quilted with a small layer of polyfoam to add to that soft feel as soon as you touch the mattress. The two foam layers are inside the pillow top, and the mattress has extra edging fabric around the edge of the pillow top.
- Foam Layer 1: Gel infused memory foam. This is a medium feel foam that will contour to your pressure points. The gel infusion helps it draw excess body heat away to keep you the right temperature as you sleep.
- Foam Layer 2: Memory plus foam, Another memory foam layer for further pressure relief, but in a higher density to the gel foam above it to ensure you don’t sink too far.
- Foam Layer 3: High grade polyfoam. This layer is just there to act as a transition between the memory foams above and the pocket coils below.
- Pocket Coils: Individually wrapped coils with zoning for targeted support. The coils have a softer feel under your shoulder and are firmer under your hips, to help keep your body aligned as you sleep. The coils have also been reinforced around the edge of the mattress for strong edge support.
- Base: Another layer of high density polyfoam: this is just for the pocket coils to sit on, it doesn’t really do anything for the overall feel of the mattress, but it’s a sign that Helix cares about the quality and integrity of their mattress.
How Is It Superior To The Standard Midnight Mattress?
The Helix Luxe mattresses are priced from $995, where the standard models are priced from $600. That’s a bit of a jump, so you’d expect to be getting a lot of extra features for your money. Here’s what you get when you choose Helix Luxe:
- Standard Helix mattresses are 12 inches high, while the Luxe models are 14 inches high (this is also classified as a luxury mattress height).
- The Luxe has a quilted pillow top, the standard does not.
- The Luxe has a tencel cover instead of a standard stretch knit. Tencel is a plant based fiber that’s known for its silky smoothness and breathability. It’s usually only used in premium mattresses.
- The Luxe has an extra memory foam layer: the standard models do not have the gel memory foam layer.
- The Luxe has zoned lumbar support coils for more targeted base support.
I think you’re getting a lot of extra for your money, and the Luxe is still a reasonable price. My personal preference is for the Luxe over the standard mattresses,and the Midnight Luxe is the one I would buy.
Here is a full breakdown of Helix Luxe prices. Remember, mattress in a box companies are always offering a discount, so you will never actually have to pay the full retail price listed below. Just follow any link from this article to the Helix website and you’ll be guaranteed to see the best discount available on any given day.
Twin XL: $1249
California King: $2199
What Does The Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Mattress Feel Like To Lie On?
The Midnight Luxe mattress gets its medium feel from the two memory foam layers, which have been engineered to be “medium”. Helix adjusts the firmness of their Luxe mattresses by changing this layer, to give soft, medium, or firm. Medium is the most universally popular feel, and it’s not surprising that the Luxe is therefore their most popular mattress.
The memory foam inside the Midnight are contouring, slower responding foams, which means when you lie on the Midnight, you’ll sink into it somewhat, and get great pressure relief for your shoulder. Contouring is just what side sleepers need, but if you want less contouring choose the Dusk mattress instead, which has a slightly different foam composition to be more springy.
The coil base of the Helix range give their mattresses a bit of bounce, so with the Midnight Luxe you’ve got the best of both worlds: that coil feeling you’re familiar with + the pressure relieving benefits of contouring memory foam. Remember the springs are also zoned to further maximize the right level of support for your shoulder and hip.
If you’re a strict stomach sleeper, you’re probably going to find that this mattress is a bit soft for you. If this is you, I recommend you look at the medium feel Dusk Luxe with less contouring foams, or the firmer Dawn Luxe. Helix has an option for every sleeper, and they’re one of my favorite mattress brands for it.
The reinforced edges of the Midnight Luxe mean you’re going to feel comfortable sleeping right up to the edge of the mattress, and it will be comfortable to sit on if you use the side of your bed to get dressed, etc. The contouring memory foams also mean this mattress does a better job of motion isolation than your standard hybrid mattress will.
What Are People Saying Who Love Theirs? Reviews From Real People
At the time of writing this review, the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress has a great star rating of 4.7 out of 5, which is pretty high for a mattress that sells so well. Here’s a selection of comments from real customers:
“All new beds feel great at first, but then they start to sag. This is not the case with my Midnight Luxe, it’s still as good as new.”
“This mattress has been amazing, I have no complaints. It has alleviated a lot of the issues I was experiencing as a side sleeper.”
“I’ve been in some accidents and my lower back is permanently damaged as a result. Sleeping on this mattress, I wake up with no back pain for the first time in a long time. I sleep on both my back and my side, and find it comfortable in both positions. At first, I was a bit worried about how much contour the foams had but when you lay on it it’s soft and firm at the same time. If you have lower back pain, I can’t recommend this mattress enough.”
“I didn’t like this mattress for the first week, but I’m so glad I persevered because now I love it and I’m so glad I didn’t return it: it’s probably the best mattress I’ve ever had.”
“The Midnight Luxe gives the perfect balance between support and cushion. My wife and I both wake up rested and without the aches we experienced with our previous bed.”