New product alert! From the company that makes one of my all time favorite hybrid mattresses, Avocado Green, comes this beautiful new bed frame. The Avocado Bed Frame, made from 100% chemical free reclaimed wood, is a sturdy and beautiful piece designed to suit any mattress. It comes with a premium price tag, so let’s see if it’s worthy of your money. If you want a beautiful bed frame with a cheaper price tag and a more minimalist look, read my review of the Avocado City Bed Frame instead.
I’ll look at:
- Avocado Bed Frame Features
- Pros and Cons
- Is this Bed Frame High Quality?
- Is this Bed Frame Easy to Use?
- What Are The Alternatives?
- What are the Experiences of those Already using this Bed Frame?
- Is It Worth Buying?
Avocado Bed Frame Features
This bed frame is made from reclaimed wood, specifically, Douglas Fir trees from California. Most of the wood comes from old buildings that were built at least 50 years ago, some even 100 years ago. As the wood used in this frame is older, it is harder and more dense, which makes it less prone to warping than younger wood materials. My own personal bed frame is made from young pine, and it’s quite soft – I don’t expect it’s life will be as long as the Avocado Bed Frame!
A very important factor in a bed frame is how it supports your mattress. You need a frame to have slats that are sturdy and close enough together to prevent your mattress sagging. Many mattresses specify that they must not be used on frames with slats wider than 3 inches apart. The slats used in the Avocado Bed Frame are 1.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide, making them solid and sturdy. They are placed 3 inches apart, which means they are going to support any mattress perfectly.
True to Avocado’s green ethos, the frame is finished with an organic and non toxic stain. None of the wood used in these frames was chemically treated in its previous life either, so there are no hidden surprises.
Your frame has a 10 year warranty. Please note that the frame is non returnable. Avocado will replace your frame if there is a problem, rather than attempting to repair it. You should also note that if you do need a replacement, the warranty of your replacement bed frame will be the same date as your original purchase so the clock doesn’t start again with the replacement frame.
The rustic finish brings out all the character from the reclaimed wood’s previous life, such as smoothed over nail holes, fine cracks, etc. It’s actually quite beautiful: it gives your Avocado Bed Frame its own unique character and tells a story.
The price range is $2325 for a twin size frame to $2805 for a king size frame. This price includes shipping and white glove assembly.
Pros and Cons
- made of reclaimed Californian wood, it’s an environmentally friendly and more sustainable choice (less wood going to landfill, less emissions created from cutting down new trees)
- hand made in Los Angeles
- beautiful rustic finish
- sturdy construction
- slats are 3 inches apart: this will meet the support requirements for any mattress
- white glove assembly included with your purchase
- 10 year replacement warranty
- it’s a new product, so there are no reports available from customers using it for a substantial length of time
- you can’t return it (but the 10 year warranty does cover workmanship defects and you’ll get a replacement)
- may have slight “barn-like” smell when first opened (but no toxic chemicals)
- it’s quite heavy: the king size weighs in at235lb
Is this Bed Frame High Quality?
Yes, I believe from all the research I’ve done on this bed frame, that it is a high quality product. It is built from beautiful strong wood and has strong slats, so it should be incredibly sturdy and long wearing.
I would expect this piece to last well beyond its 10 year warranty, I can’t see why or how it would ever fail.
It could become an heirloom piece that lasts generations, even!
Is this Bed Frame Easy to Use?
I’m going to say it’s reasonably easy to use. Not the easiest, but by no means the hardest.
Wood is a great looking material, so you won’t have any trouble styling this bed frame in any bedroom: it should go with everything.
It assembles easily without tools if you need to do it yourself in the future, but this beauty actually has white glove assembly included in the price, so you don’t need to lift a finger when it first arrives.
There are two little things that prevent me from saying the Avocado Bed Frame is super easy to use:
- It is quite heavy so it might be hard to move it around if you need to. For example, the Queen size weighs 210lb and the King weighs 235lb.
- A few customers reported that they found the corners quite sharp so watch your toes and shins if you get up in the dark. However, I think regardless of what bed frame you use, if you’re going to stub your toe on it it’s probably going to hurt anyway!
What Are The Alternatives?
If you really love the idea of a reclaimed wood platform bed with a headboard but want to pay about half the price, this Amazon beauty is a good option for you.
Do you want an option without a headboard? And to be able to choose the color stain your bed frame has? Then this is worth checking out. It’s not reclaimed wood, but it’s sturdy.
If you need a bed frame that allows you to store stuff under your bed while still looking beautiful, Avocado have another great option for you. Their Eco Wood Bed Frame, also made of reclaimed wood has loads of storage space underneath the frame, as you can see in the picture. It is a bit cheaper than the frame I am concentrating on in this post, and is lighter too: due to the lack of headboard. You can check it out here.
What are the Experiences of those Already using this Bed Frame?
At the time of writing this article, there were no negative reviews for this bed frame yet! The lowest star rating anyone had given it was three stars out of five. I will monitor this and update this Avocado Bed Frame review article as required.
- Some people reported a “barn” smell when they first opened up their bed frame. This is the nature of the product, and there are no harmful chemicals used. The smell should dissipate after a couple of weeks.
- People overwhelmingly reported they believed the bed frame is sturdy and well made
- Another common comment was that people loved the reclaimed wood: they liked the idea of the wood having some character from its previous life, and they felt good about choosing something with a smaller environmental footprint than some alternatives.
Is It Worth Buying?
If you’re looking to invest in a beautiful, well constructed piece to last you well into the years to come, then yes: I think this bed frame is worth buying. It’s so sturdy, nicely designed, and will go with any mattress. For a quality piece of furniture that will look good no matter what you pair it with, the Avocado Bed Frame is a good buy.
If you’re a bit unsure about the price and don’t need something quite as solid, check out the alternatives I discussed above.