Avocado Alpaca Topper Review: The Height Of Luxury For Your Better Sleep
Looking for a new mattress topper? If you are looking for a lighter than foam, luxurious, plush, topper made from all natural materials then this new-to-market topper from Avocado will be right up your alley. In this Avocado Alpaca Topper Review, I’ve got all the info you need to help you decide if this is the topper you’ve been waiting for to transform the comfort level of your mattress and improve your sleep.
Renowned for their use of extremely high quality materials and amazing finishing touches on their products, Avocado is a popular and well established brand in the online mattress world. They produce premium products designed to provide maximum benefits and maximum quality. The Avocado Alpaca Topper is a premium product, with a premium price tag.
- Why Choose Alpaca?
- Is It Worth Your Money?
- How Does It Compare To The Much Loved Avocado Latex Topper?
I’ll answer all these questions and more in this detailed Avocado Alpaca Topper Review.
Materials: organic cotton, organic wool, natural alpaca wool
Warranty: one year
Sleep trial: 100 nights (this is extremely generous, as most companies offer ZERO sleep trials for their mattress toppers)
Here’s an exact rundown of this Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper Review: I’ve left no stone unturned.
- Do You Need a Mattress Topper?
- Materials and Construction of the Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper
- Why Choose Alpaca?
- Is It Worth Your Money?
- How Does It Compare To The Avocado Latex Topper?
- Pros and Cons
- Where To Buy
Do You Need A Mattress Topper?
There are several reasons why you might be looking at a new mattress topper. They are all about how you can make your current bed more comfortable without having to purchase a whole new mattress. The Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper is made from high quality, soft and natural materials so it will perform well on any mattress that you’re looking to add a plush, lux feel to.
Perhaps your current mattress is feeling too firm? If this is the case, you can add a topper to your bed to soften the feel of it. We recently bought a new mattress ourselves: it is quite firm but we like it. Part of our recycling of our old mattress was to keep the pillowtop materials from our old mattress in case we want to try it with our very own, homemade topper! So if you want a topper without actually buying one, I’ve just given you a tip.
Does your current mattress feel too soft? This issue is not as easily fixed with a topper, as if the mattress feels saggy it could be that the mattress is either done for, or is not on a supportive enough platform. However, if you have an adequate support under a good mattress and it still feels too soft, adding a firmer feeling topper to your bed can help. The Avocado Alpaca Topper is not for you if you’re looking to firm up a mattress. I suggest you consider Avocado’s latex topper in the firm latex instead.
Do you and your partner have totally different sleep preferences? If one of you likes a firmer sleeping surface and the other likes a soft one, it can be tricky to find a mattress that suits both needs. If you and your partner are currently struggling with the comfort of your current mattress or unable to decide what to pick in a new one, adding a topper to one side for one person can help. If you have a king size bed, a twin XL size topper should well for one person.
Please note that if your mattress is dipping or sagging in the middle, adding a topper will not help. You will need to replace your mattress to get the comfort you’re seeking.
Materials and Construction of the Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper
A natural colored organic cotton, ethically sourced from India. The bottom of the cover is made from organic cotton canvas, a clever design feature that helps your topper grip to the mattress below it. The cover is stitched in a diamond pattern.
The mattress topper is held in place on your mattress by four strong elastic straps. A beautiful finishing detail of these is that they have not just been left as bare elastic like you’d find on a cheaper topper, but finished in the same beautiful organic cotton as the cover.
Under The Cover:
The internal construction of the Alpaca topper is 65% alpaca wool and 35% sheep wool.
As you can see in the image, the alpaca wool (the brown wool) is sandwiched between the two layers of sheep wool. The topper has a height of 3 inches, around two inches of which is the super silky alpaca wool.
The use of sheep’s wool around the Alpaca wool is a clever choice because it’s naturally temperature regulating, hypoallergenic and acts as a fire barrier (wool will chareasily, but it doesn’t really ignite that well).
The way the topper has been quilted ensures that all the wool layers stay in place and do not bunch up or move around with use.
At a weight of 24lb for the king size, the alpaca topper is half the weight of Avocado’s popular latex topper.
Why Choose Alpaca?
Have you ever felt alpaca wool? I live in New Zealand and we have quite a thriving industry for it here, and let me tell you it is LUXE. It has quite a soft feel when you brush it with your hand, it’s quite different to sheep’s wool. I can’t really think of something nicer or softer to put on your bed.
Here are 5 reasons why alpaca wool is a great choice:
- Softer than silk
- Lighter than sheep wool, so even though this topper is a generous 3 inches high, it feels amazingly light
- Naturally hypoallergenic so it’s a great choice for people who may suffer from common allergies like dust
- Naturally mold resistant
- One of the most eco-friendly fibers available (alpacas need less food and water than other animals we typically get fibers from)
Is It Worth Your Money?
With prices starting north of $400 for a twin size topper, the Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper is for buyers with deep pockets.
Why is it so expensive? I believe there are several reasons. Let’s take a look at each, so you can decide for yourself if this mattress topper is worth your precious money instead of one of the cheaper competitors.
- It is handmade in California. Hand crafting takes time, and it shows in the quality of the product you get. Even people who do not like Avocado products after testing them (and leave one star reviews) often can’t help but comment on the great quality.
- It is more expensive to make products in the United States than to take production offshore, to China for example. With a product made in the United States you can have more confidence in the transparency of the manufacturing process, and a smaller environmental footprint (fact: Avocado is Carbon Neutral Certified, something not many mattress companies can brag about).
- It contains two inches of luxurious, silky alpaca wool. As I mentioned earlier in this review, Alpaca wool is one of the most premium,
hypoallergenic, soft and silky materials you could hope to find in a wool mattress topper. It is also one of the more expensive materials so a topper with natural alpaca wool instead of 100% sheep wool is going to cost more (though I’ve seen inferior sheep wool toppers with a higher price tag out there).
- It contains organic sheep wool. Wool is another excellent material that while being cheaper than alpaca wool, is still a luxury material in itself.
- Even though this topper contains inches of high quality organic and natural materials, it’s lighter than most other toppers out there. The king size alpaca topper is about half the weight of the Avocado latex topper. This combination of softness, quality, and lightness is extremely hard to find elsewhere and is like putting a cloud on your bed.
- It has a 1 year warranty an a 100 night sleep trial. This is downright exceptional for a topper, most of which have no trial period at all. What this really means for you is that it eliminates the risk of buying the wrong topper for your needs. If it’s not right for you, Avocado simply organizes a free return so your money (and your sleep) is in safe hands.
How Does It Compare To The Avocado Latex Topper?
Here is a handy comparison table showing the specifications of the Avocado Alpaca Topper and the Avocado Latex Topper side by side.
You can see that the latex topper has a few features that the alpaca topper does not, such as different firmness options, longer warranty and trial periods, and a cheaper price tag. The latex topper is a great option, and it sells really well with many happy customers. You can read my full review of it here if you’d like more information on it.
However, if you’re looking for the utmost in luxury materials and a topper with a silky inner that is almost lighter than air, the Alpaca topper is right for you.
There is no doubt that these are two great toppers made from high quality materials, the difference comes down to the type of feel you want.
Pros And Cons
- All organic or natural materials
- Cooling feel
- Luxurious alpaca wool for softness and lightness
- Industry beating trial period
- Sustainably made product from a carbon neutral, USA based company
- Slow shipping (Avocado products are made to order)
- The wool may have an initial smell
- Luxury price tag not affordable for all
Where To Buy
I think that if you are in the market for an extremely high quality
mattress topper, the Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper is a great choice. It is
more expensive than other toppers (including the other Avocado toppers), but the quality of the materials used
and the workmanship that go into making each one is exceptional.
The Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper is available exclusively through Avocado’s online store.
Click the link below to get the best price for your Avocado Alpaca Mattress Topper today!