If you’ve been researching the better memory foam mattresses at the budget end of the market on Amazon, you have probably come across the Classic Brands Cool Gel 14 inch mattress. It’s an incredibly popular model, consistently in the top sellers and gaining a ton of positive reviews. But did you know this is a mattress that gets regular updates, but the older models are still available? Do you know the difference between cool gel 1.0 and 2.0? And did you know that there is now cool gel 3.0 recently added too? I’ll talk about that at the end of the article.
I’ve described the difference between cool gel 1.0 and 2.0 in my Classic Brands Mattress Review which you can read here, but since it’s such a hot question I thought it was worth its own article for a little more critical analysis.
What Are The Similarities?
From what I can see, Classic Brands are making changes to this particular mattress every year. A lot of the features, however, remain the same. These include:
- mattress height of 14 inches
- firmness rating of medium firm
- if you go directly to the Classic Brands website you will see that the description, features, and benefits of the 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 mattresses are actually word for word identical!
- from going through the Amazon reviews, it seems that people are pretty happy with whichever model they chose. It’s a shame the reviews are lumped together as it would be great to be able to compare them more easily but I think any version of this mattress is going to be popular and well liked anyway.
So What Are The Differences?
The differences are subtle, but for some people they could be the deciding factors for which mattress you choose.
- the cover is different: both the 1.0 and 2.0 have a white and grey color scheme made from a stretch knit fabric. BUT, the cover of the 2.0 has a more beautiful and intricate quilting pattern. The grey color is also darker on the 2.0. Overall, the 2.0 has a much nicer looking cover in my opinion, but this probably doesn’t matter as you’ll cover it up with a mattress protector and sheets so it won’t be visible.
- the internal composition is slightly different. The 2.0 mattress has an extra half inch of cool gel memory foam: it has 3.5 inches instead of the 3 inches found in the 1.0. The 2.0 keeps the same 14 inch height by taking half an inch of the support foam layer, which is 8.5 inches thick where the support layer of the 1.0 is 9 inches thick.
- even though both the 1.0 and 2.0 mattresses are rated as feeling medium firm, the 2.0 mattress is slightly softer. Not soft enough to warrant a change in firmness rating, but enough for both Classic Brands to mention it to me when I asked them. I also found customers on Amazon who happen to own both the 1.0 and the 2.0 mattress, and they agree that the 2.0 is indeed slightly softer. This makes perfect sense as the 2.0 has the slightly thicker comfort layer (3.5 inches of memory foam) and slightly thinner support layer (8.5 inches of base foam).
- there is a cost difference. At the time of writing this article, it was $80 more for a King size 2.0 mattress.
Is It Worth Paying Extra For The Cool Gel 2.0 Mattress?
There is no straight yes or no here. If you really really like the cover design, then yes. If you want that extra half inch of cooling gel memory foam for a slightly softer mattress then yes. These are pretty much the only two differences you are paying for, so it is up to you if you think it is worth it or not.
My personal opinion? I do really like the cover of the 2.0. It’s so much nicer. But I’m not going to see it! And I know already that I sleep just fine on a medium firm mattress, so I would save my money and go with the 1.0 myself. But that is just the opinion of one person.
So now that we’ve got the difference between cool gel 1.0 and 2.0 straight, Classic Brands have gone and added another update, in what they initially called the 3.0, but have since renamed as the Cool Gel 14 Inch Quilted Memory Foam Mattress (in the Amazon listing, this new mattress is the “2.0 Quilted Gel Mattress” . This mattress has the same descriptions – word for word – as its two predecessors, apart from describing the quilted cover. It is also 14 inches high and is rated medium firm.
The differences are:
- the cover has been changed again. I think this is the slickest looking cover of all, as it doesn’t scream “Cool Gel” down its side unlike the other two.
- the internal composition appears to be the same as the other two, but the cover has memory foam quilted into it. This probably gives a softer feel when you lie on the mattress.
- I am waiting to hear back from Classic Brands to find out the exact height in inches of each of the layers. What I will say about this cover though, is that I would be hesitant to remove it and wash it.
- A handy feature of the other two is that you can remove and wash the cover (not as common a mattress feature as you might think). I wouldn’t do that with the new quilted cover cover for fear of destroying the foam quilting.
- the price is higher again for the new quilted cool gel mattress; about another $80 step up from the 2.0 mattress for a king size.
This newest mattress has now been on the market for around 8 months (as of May 2020), so reviews will be starting to come in. I’ll add my analysis of real customer feedback once people have had their mattress for a bit longer. If you try it out, let me know what you think in the comments please!