- 100 Night Sleep Trial - Rare For A Bed Base
- 750lb Weight Limit - Great Tolerance
- Handy Presets Including Zero Gravity
- Pairs Perfectly With Purple Mattress, Or Most Other Mattresses
- Use As A Standalone Or Fit It In Your Existing Frame
- 10 Year Warranty
Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Review – People looking for the best sleeping experience usually focus on the mattress. How cooling and comfortable it is and whether it offers good support. BUT: this neglects another vital thing for a good night’s sleep: the base. Without a good base, even the most luxurious mattress will not be as comfortable as a regular mattress placed on a top-notch adjustable base.
The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is a popular adjustable base option that is reasonably priced, so I figured it was time to spend some time researching for you to see if it’s actually a good buy (or not). It’s one of the few bed bases that comes with a 100 night in-home sleep trial so it’s worth taking a look at.
In this Purple Ascent adjustable base review, I’ll cover the following topics:
- Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Overview
- Analysis Of The Structure Of The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
- Analysis Of The Performance Of The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
- Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Reviews From Real Customers
- Final Thoughts
Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Overview
- Price: $1,499 for a queen-size base, but you’ll get a discount when you follow any of my links
- Ships for free across the USA with white glove delivery.
- 100-night free sleep trial: rare for adjustable bases.
- 10-year limited warranty.
- 750 pounds weight capacity: excellent weight capacity, some only take 700, and needs to include your mattress.
- 2 presets including a sitting preset for work and relaxing and a one-touch flat position setting (other bases offer more presets, but I have an adjustable base myself and find myself using these two the most anyway).
- Articulating head and foot sections that are fully customizable.
- 2 USB charging ports on either side of the base (this is a great feature that you don’t find on all adjustable bases).
- Wireless remote control.
- Zero-gravity position for maximum comfort.
- Headboard brackets (optional).
- The Ascent adjustable base is made of a steel frame, a cover made of fabric, and 9-inch wooden legs (it would be nice to see adjustable leg heights, but again they’re not a must).
The two features which the Ascent adjustable base lacks are the adjustable legs and a massage function. Adjustable legs allow you to adjust the height of the bed. If you have a high-profile mattress you can lower the base and avoid having to climb onto the bed instead of climbing into it. It also allows you to have more storage space under the bed for the extra blankets and pillows. The motors don’t have a massage feature either which many people like for rest and relaxation. If you’re looking for an adjustable base with these features, the Puffy Adjustable Base is a favorite choice.
If I had to recommend compatible mattresses for the Ascent adjustable base, you can make life easy for yourself and choose any mattress from the Purple range (any memory foam mattress should work well though, it doesn’t have to be Purple) These include Purple Mattress, Purple Hybrid 2, Purple Premier 3, and Purple Premier 4. They’re all designed to fit on an adjustable base.
Analysis Of The Structure Of The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
Elegance is the first word that comes to mind when you see the Ascent adjustable base. The steel frame along with the wooden legs create a pleasant mix. Some adjustable bed frames can look a bit clunky, but in my opinion this one actually looks quite nice. The frame is made of steel for extra sturdiness and a thick layer of foam cushions it. The cover is made of a soft fabric that gives it durability.
The adjustable base has two motors. One is near the head of the bed and the other is at the bottom half. Both allow you to adjust the position of the bed either according to the two presets the base comes with or any other preset you wish to create.
The wireless remote control is an indispensable part of the base. It lets you adjust every setting and feature in the bed from the comfort of the bed. You can use it to control the two motors in the base and have full control over the Purple Ascent itself.
The settings and presets are the most distinguishing features of the Purple Ascent adjustable base. Here’s a quick summary of the settings:
- Sitting Preset: You can sit in bed and do your work or watch TV if you like without the need for supporting pillows that keep sliding down. Simply adjust the head of the bed to raise it up and bring you to a sitting position effortlessly. Your back will thank you for sitting upright and not slouching and putting extra pressure on your lower back.
- Reprogrammable Presets: Adjusting the base to your specific needs and personal preferences doesn’t mean you’ll have to fiddle with the presets every night. You can create new presets on the fly. The new preset will store the position of the bed along with all the other features and settings you adjusted. Next time, you just press that preset.
- Anti-Snore: If you or your partner snore during sleep, the Ascent base can help you reduce or even eliminate the snoring by raising the head of the bed slightly to open the air passages of the snorer and help them breathe easily. The anti-snore preset comes built into the base.
- Flat Preset: If you don’t like the current preset or don’t feel comfortable with the preset you created, you can bring the base to its default flat position with one touch of the button on your remote control.
- Headboard Brackets: If you want to attach a headboard to your Ascent adjustable base, you can purchase headboard brackets with your base.
- USB Ports: You can plug your smartphone or tablet into the two USB ports on either side of the base to recharge them.
Zero gravity is more than a buzzword in the bed and mattresses world. It’s a feature that’s based on real science. The way it works, the two motors inside the adjustable base lift your head and feet at a specified angle that balances your body weight and eliminates stress over certain points in your body. The result is a near-weightless feeling, improved breathing, and relief of any aching or pains in your body due to wrong sitting or sleeping positions. I tried it out and it works just as advertised in the brochure.
With two motors running whenever you the base, you can expect a humming noise as it moves. It’s not going to be any different than any other adjustable base, so I’d say it’s a moot point if you’re looking at buying an adjustable base. Just be aware that if you have a light sleeper for a partner, this noise could disturb their sleep and vice versa.
The Ascent adjustable base is a durable base. The frame is made of steel and the upholstery is made from foam and durable fabric. You can expect the Ascent base to last about 10 years without giving you trouble. It also comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
The anti-snore works like a charm. It raises the head of the bed slightly, which in turn raises the head of the sleeper and opens up their air passages, which helps stop snoring.
Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Reviews From Real Customers
The customer reviews for the Purple Ascent adjustable base were few albeit quite insightful. Here’s what I learnt from going through all 108 reviews on the Purple website.
- Overall, the base scored 4.4 out of 5 stars, which is a great rating.
- Most reviews piled up praise for the zero-gravity and anti-snore features. Users with back pain and aching shoulders were happy with the adjustable base and its presets.
- Other users liked the sitting preset since it allowed them to work in bed and stay comfortable for hours.
- Some negative reviews complained about the remote control unit not working properly. But the 10-year warranty takes care of any malfunctioning parts.
“Love it 100% and would recommend it to everyone. Hey, if you’re a side sleeper this is the best bed ever like sleeping on a cloud. You wake up with energy because you were finally able to get must needed rest at bedtime. Thanks so much, Purple for making these awesome bed products!”
Despite the lack of massage features and adjustable legs, the Purple Ascent adjustable base is still a solid choice. The slick design, sleep trial, and many presets make it an attractive option for the price.